• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Point to use with limited Travel Time

mmcculloch

TUG Member
Reaction score
My mother in law just gave us 152000 points. We own DVC so we already have vacations in place for the near future. Half of the RCI points will expire in Dec 2010. Being a teacher I am limited on travel dates. So we are thinking Caribbean for xmas 2010. I am hearing that it is a slim chance. How can I "up" my chances. Love to stay at the Windjammer. Any other resorts I should look at? Thanks...I am reading as fast I can to try an understand all this. DVC I know inside and out RCI not so much :)

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
My mother in law just gave us 152000 points. We own DVC so we already have vacations in place for the near future. Half of the RCI points will expire in Dec 2010. Being a teacher I am limited on travel dates. So we are thinking Caribbean for xmas 2010. I am hearing that it is a slim chance. How can I "up" my chances. Love to stay at the Windjammer. Any other resorts I should look at? Thanks...I am reading as fast I can to try an understand all this. DVC I know inside and out RCI not so much :)

I'm guessing that you have an RCI points account?

Or will you be using your MIL's account to make a reservation with these points?

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
The good news is that 152,000 is enough points to reserve anything that does become available. The bad news is you can't do an ongoing search with points so you have to look often to find what you want.

You can use your points account to look at the "weeks" reservations up to two years out, the "points" or "standard" reservations up to 9 months out.

You should find that you have several choices for holiday week vacations in the caribbean with RCI points. Just remember that air travel is most expensive for those weeks as well.

mmcculloch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for replying. As a teacher...flight is always high. We can only travel at peak times. So I am prepared for that. :bawl:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
not so hopeless

You can book non homegroup points resorts at 10 months out. Holiday week owners are less likely to allow their weeks to go into points but some do and some forget to reserve their home resort during the time period so it automatically goes into the points reserveation pool. Check on February 24 for December 24 check ins and the next day for December 25 check ins. I think you can also do an ongoing search with points for weeks resorts, you just have to have a VC set it up.

Some people reserve their home week and if they can't rent it or decide later not to use it let it convert to points but I wouldn't rely on that. So if you don't have a Caribbean resort booked by the 26 of February you should start making alternate plans.

You probably should search through the RCI directory and try to calculate the maximum points you will need for this trip and start using your remailing points or count on paying a fee to extend them or loose them if they have are from 2008. You also need to be aware of when your use year is because many accounts have a use year (and thus expiration date for points) other than Jan1-Dec 31.