• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2009] Why Do We Shame People Out Of Walking Away?

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Dan. Timeshares are sold on the basis that they provide a value proposition to the owner. That value proposition might never have been built in but can certainly be destroyed by runaway maintenance fees and assessments.

Failing to take deedbacks is inexcuseable.

Are you still picking up TS ?

So, to encourage this, is that because you are afraid of picking an worthless one, and want to walk out easily without feel guilt at all, or are you believe all HOA should carry all their owner's issue?

I don't !!!!!!
Shouldn't you also disclose you own prime week, and does not care your credit get wreck?

How about the developer... not their fault? How about the regulators?

So people who bought because they believed what they were told about stable MFs should be held accountable for the rest of their lives?

Are you have problem with developer or with HOA? For regulators, every state in US allows you a period of cooling, if you don't think it is enough, you should push them to allow longer period.

If you just do a quick check, you will know the MF is not going to stay. Nothing is. Inflation is the common topic that constant used by all the financial adviser to scare us to save, or to allow them to earn commissions.

How can you walk out, or every owner walk out hurt developer?

Check their annual report, most of the income is from selling TS. They are manage the resort, if everyone walk out, they just resale it.

And if there are owners still want to satisfy their obligations, the walk out just throw their angry on these people. Isn't that what you are doing? And you claim all the owner that stay are prime week owner.

If you think you can maintain the MF lower than rent, and create value, shouldn't you be contribute your energy on HOA board? Most are welcome people volunteer on some advisory groups. If you can't why you think other owner will be better?

Even in the crash of the economic, most of the house that purchased after 2005 are underwater, not most of the person purchase it walk out. And not most of them just walk out while they still can afford. That should tell you what the society believes.

Sounds like you have problem with developer, and want to encourage people that owns TS that not in developer's hand, and has HOA where they elect their own board to dissolve it.

JMHO.

Jya-Ning

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
The question remains HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE NOT PAYING THE MF FEES-- they say alot until we know the exact number of non paying owners- we do not know forsure how much extra is being charged in the MF for these non paying owners. Also even if all non paying owners would start paying do you think that the MF fees would go down.

Two years ago when everyone was so called paying the MF fees, the fees were still high so all of this talk about non-paying members is non-sense.

Bottom line is we owners have no-one looking out for our best interest, the developers, association and everyone else is Starwood, until us owners have a say in what goes on..... we will be writing on these chat rooms all day long.... Starwood tried to sell me a two bedroom EOY at SVV for $15k. I told him I can buy on Ebay for $2k or less.

Most of my MF statements list the bad debt expense. That's your indicator of how many are not paying their MF's. Without fail all of those numbers are up for each of the timeshares I own. Two (same management company) increased that figure by over 900%. The one I have in front of me right now has a 0% increase in uncollectable debt. I can tell you EXACTLY how much I'm paying on that timeshare for those that do not pay. That figure is $42,000 of which my share is $18.90. That figure represents 3% of that particular timeshares MF.

What I'm starting to wonder is how many people don't take the time to actually read the breakdown of their MF's? How many timeshares just send out the bill without sending out the breakdown of how they arrive at those fees? Does Starwood just send a bill without the accounting figures?

It's not non-sense and every owner/member who does not pay their fee's puts their obligation on those of us who do. It does not matter whether that increase my MF's by 10 cents, $10 or $100. Those that still pay also pay for those that do not.

Personally I can't speak to Starwoods problems. I don't own Starwood and have no dog in that fight. I can only speak in generalized terms and to the timeshares I own. No matter who you own with, one fact remains. Bills have to be paid. Those bills will be paid by those who send in their money. Those who don't send in their money create an additional burden on those who do. Whether it be in increased fee's or the bankruptcy and failure of the timeshare. There is no way around those facts.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
You are correct, sir.

And it's not just the mortgages & the timeshare fees. It works pretty much the same for the simple & the mundane.

A Christmas tree lot around here is offering prime fresh-cut spruces, beautifully shaped, for $89 apiece. That amount covers not only the costs & overhead & profit margin on each tree that sells for $89, but also the cost of all the unsold trees that go through the shredder after the holidays are over. Any way you shake it, every $89 tree buyer is also paying for a share of the trees that don't sell.

At Publix down in Florida when we were there a couple of weeks ago, we saw a clerk trundle all the unsold prepared deli packs of fresh fruit -- a whole shopping cart loaded with plastic packs of pineapple, melon, strawberries, fruit salad, etc. -- out to dumpster in back of the store on the evening when the freshness date expired. In effect, all the customers who buy Publix fresh deli fruit packs are paying not only for the ones they take home & enjoy, but also for all the unsold outdated packs tossed into the dumpster.

In just the same way, timeshare HOA-BODs have to figure into each annual budget a share of the deadbeats' unpaid fees to be added onto the annual fee statements going out to all of the responsible, on-time fee-paying owners at the resort.

That's just how it is, with no way around it. So it goes.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

And that's why we "shame" people into either paying their obligations or, seeking any way they can to manage their obligations before walking away from them. The cost is ALWAYS passed onto everyone else.

I realize that there are circumstances that will lead people to have to walk away but, I also realize that some will walk away because it's convenient and they don't care about the consequences. It's those that walk due to convenience that cause issues.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Be Very Wary About Free & Easy Deedback Policies.

I realize that there are circumstances that will lead people to have to walk away but, I also realize that some will walk away because it's convenient and they don't care about the consequences. It's those that walk due to convenience that cause issues.
That's why timeshare HOA-BODs should not just accept deedbacks willy-nilly.

If it's too easy to dump an unwanted deed, too many semi-distressed owners will simply go for that as the path of least resistance instead of swallowing hard & working out some way of living up to their responsibilities.

Sure, no HOA-BOD can squeeze blood out of a turnip, & no responsible HOA-BOD will rack up thousands in court costs & attorney fees to recover a deed worth no more than a few hundred bux. That's why in some cases it may well be more practical to accept deedbacks than to foreclose. Decisions like that will always have to be case by case.

In general, however, timeshare HOA-BODs should not be too quick to take the monkey off the owner's back. The obligation, after all, rests with the individual timeshare owner, not the timeshare HOA-BOD.

viejoverde

Reaction score
walking away

I believe the original question is why do we shame people from "walking away".
The thread has been going all over the place to try to answer that, but the bottom line is whether we shame them or not is irrelevant, if someone decides to "walk away" from the contract they signed the company or HOA will go after their assets in court to pay for the MFs.
The only ones that can actually "walk away" will be those that have nothing in their bank accounts, and in that case they will file for bankruptcy. It is as simple as that.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I believe the original question is why do we shame people from "walking away".
The thread has been going all over the place to try to answer that, but the bottom line is whether we shame them or not is irrelevant, if someone decides to "walk away" from the contract they signed the company or HOA will go after their assets in court to pay for the MFs.
The only ones that can actually "walk away" will be those that have nothing in their bank accounts, and in that case they will file for bankruptcy. It is as simple as that.

I've said it it many of my posts. Because the rest of us pay for those that walk away.

If there's no other alternative, I understand. But there are those who profess walking away as simply a financial tool to be used rather than as a last resort.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
In the FWIW column. I looked up another of the annual budget from a couple more of the timeshares we own. The bad debt expense column looks like this:

Allowance for Bad Debt $37,098 (2009's #'s) $173,169 (2010's #'s). That's an increase of 366.79%.

Allowance for Bad Debt $20,088 (2009's #'s) $212,812 (2010's #'s). That's an increase of 959.40%

Bad Debt Expense $72,477 (2009's #'s) $179,927 (2010's #'s). That's an increase of 172.9%.

The final numbers I have are for a resort still rather early in the developement phase and the total's look much worse than the actual cost per interval when taking into consideration that the resort wasn't near sell out. Essentially, that resorts bad debt expense went up 85.1%. The bad debt allowance is a scary number to me though. They're listing it as $561,034.

These amounts are added into the MF's that those who remain must pay. The more who walk, the larger that number becomes. It the trend continues, eventually there will be no way the timeshare can continue as a functioning property. Walking away doesn't hurt just the developers or banks. It hurts EVERYONE.

This is why I recommmend walking as a LAST resort. It hurts the person who's debt will be damaged and it hurts everyone else who honors the agreement they made at the time of purchase.

Last edited:

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the FWIW column. I looked up another of the annual budget from a couple more of the timeshares we own. The bad debt expense column looks like this:

Allowance for Bad Debt $37,098 (2009's #'s) $173,169 (2010's #'s). That's an increase of 366.79%.

Allowance for Bad Debt $20,088 (2009's #'s) $212,812 (2010's #'s). That's an increase of 959.40%

That amount is added into the MF's that those who remain must pay. The more who walk, the larger that number becomes. It the trend continues, eventually there will be no way the timeshare can continue as a functioning property.

This is why I recommmend walking as a LAST resort. It hurts the person who's debt will be damaged and it hurts everyone else who honors the agreement they made at the time of purchase.

Obviously this is a trend that a resort should be working to avoid.

Why are so many owners refusing/unable to pay?

Have we done everything to hold down costs and maximize owner value?

Do we have an active rental and resale program?

Did we offer a deedback program to owners so at least we can retain clear title to the non-paying weeks?

Do our owners feel trapped by a losing proposition because we are offering no workable solutions?

Purchasing 1/52 of a resort week sould not obligate one to pay a continually increasing share of operations.

It is possible for clever paying owners to transfer ownership to judgement proof entities, legally ending their personal responsibility.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't think this is true. Nobody has stated that a HOA will decide to go after their assets in court. In fact, every example I've seen has stated that it costs the HOA more to go through the foreclosure process and through the courts.

If someone sees this differently, please speak up. But, this is one of the biggest fear factors people try to spread.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

Maybe we all pay for the one's that walk away... however, I don't like the scenario that is developing now either. A timeshare purchased resale was a good choice a few years ago. If a resort drastically raises their maintenance fees during a time when costs should have stabilized, then I don't feel sorry for them, and I'm willing to let the chips fall where they may.

If my maintenance fees continue to increase to an unacceptable level then I'm sorry, but it will be time for me to walk away also. And I think, besides a select few, that most people here would do the exact same... even though they will never admit it here.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A lot of TSing is where you are in life. I have 3 younger kids. No way I want to stay in hotels. And really no way I want to eat out most meals. It is not a relaxing vacation for me unless we are in a 2 bed condo. TS units have the added bonus of activities etc.

I Think I made it quite clear that timesharing does make sense for people like you with children that need the 2 BR and kitchen. We enjoyed our timeshares for the first 15 years but now we far prefer luxury hotels. However we do enjoy the Grand Mayans where we stayed for 5 times in the past 5 years staying 2 weeks each time. The Grand Mayans offer the luxury and service found at luxury hotel resorts.

Timeshares vs hotels is off topic. However the fact that there are so many more vacation options now, often with costs less than timesharing, does contribute to lowering the value of timeshares. Rising M/F are only part of the problem with people wanting to abandon their timeshares. There is the realization that being able to trade their blue off-season week for a prime red week is not true, etc. Personally, I have very little sympathy for those folks as that is just common sense.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
When Shame Alone Won't Do The Job.

If my maintenance fees continue to increase to an unacceptable level then I'm sorry, but it will be time for me to walk away also.
When shame doesn't do the job, that's when HOA-BODs have to go with collection agencies, lawyer-whipping, lawsuits, attorney fees, court costs, hits against credit ratings, interest charges, foreclosures, & all the other varieties of unpleasantness in store for timeshare owners who try walking away from their obligations.

Better just to swallow hard & pay up.

What's right is right.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Late summer 2009 I met with 3 different resort managers about where the 2010 MFs were headed. Each manager had a different growing problem area in collecting the full share of 2009 MF.
One HOA had older owners who simply were not able to travel or whose spouse had died.
One HOA had younger owners who had a wage earner lose a job.
One HOA had too large of a SA causing walkaways and a several year foreclosure process where no MFs had been collected on many intervals.

Only one of the HOAs had assigned an onsite employee to CALL each owner to politely try to get a payment plan made. The manager said mostly the owners wanted to preserve their vacation week, but if not, the resort tried to keep the week from becoming a costly foreclosure.

Another resort manager was proposing a plan to the HOA to package the free and clear fixed weeks as a package time to a vacation club for their ownership. The HOA IMO was paying a lot of legal fees and not collecting MFs for a period of time, only to hand over the weeks ownership to a company "related" to the current management company for a bulk, bundled fee.

The 3rd resort manager was planning another SA.

Owners need to be more active. Learn which resort managers are working for the owners or another entity. Learn if the HOA is truly adapting to the times or just rubber stamping the management company's plan.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Timesharing is not for everyone. I was offered a free TS again yesterday - something along the lines of "Here, Merry Xmas".

Another owner who was not interested in planning in advance, banking an exchange, or going to the same place each year. Oh, also how they could rent a quality hotel room for 40% the value of the nightly MF, where & when & the # of nights they needed.

I know this person has spent at least 30+ nights in TSs in the last 2 years but NOT one night in any hotel room in USA. They have spent 1 week each year in an all inclusive in DR for the past 4 years during hurricane (discount) season for much more money than their TS MFs.

Did I mention this owner's unhappiness with a Saturday checkin, as that is when airfares are always so expensive. And that SWA is always much more expensive than the other airlines. (The DR all inclusive also has a Saturday checkin).

:wall::doh: :wall: :doh:

Nope, I didn't take this "gift". Bet they will try to give it back to the resort, as they are old, grey and not able to travel.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
When shame doesn't do the job, that's when HOA-BODs have to go with collection agencies, lawyer-whipping, lawsuits, attorney fees, court costs, hits against credit ratings, interest charges, foreclosures, & all the other varieties of unpleasantness in store for timeshare owners who try walking away from their obligations.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.

Alan,

LOL - You are being disingenuous and I think you know it. I'm not sure why you continue to try and spread your FUD (fears, uncertainties, and doubts)... do you know of one resort that takes this path? Again, the costs of going through foreclosure make this path prohibitive for all resorts.

But, if you want to continue go right ahead. :) I'll take the path of being truthful and honest when asked for advice.

Do you really believe in 'What's right is right'?

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you still picking up TS ?

So, to encourage this, is that because you are afraid of picking an worthless one, and want to walk out easily without feel guilt at all, or are you believe all HOA should carry all their owner's issue?

Jya-Ning

I'm not actively looking to increase my inventory of timeshares at this time(SOLD ONE and PURCHASED ONE in 2009) but always have an eye out for a truely outstanding deal.

These are challenging times in this industry. Some of what I own works better than others, so the "others" I wouldn't mind moving out. Triming my holdings to what works best for me. I'm still learning and adjusting with how to maximize the value of what I hold.

I see systemic risk. I see resorts and resort groups that serve the interests of the brand, developer or management company at the expense of the owner population.

I don't think that owners should be expected to blindly "pay the bill" for failing resort operations. When owners want out, I do think they should first attempt to resolve the ownership on terms agreeable to the resort, failing that, I've got no problem with them sticking it to the resort whether I'm another owner of that resort or not.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Alan,

do you know of one resort that takes this path? Again, the costs of going through foreclosure make this path prohibitive for all resorts.

YES!!! VRI has a collection agency after a soft collection, and then they foreclose on your timeshare, just like it is any other real estate. This is the truth, and many people don't want to hear it. I use VRI as an example. Just try to not pay on your Wyndham fees and see how far that gets you without it destroying your credit, and then it continues, with court costs and foreclosure. They will get a judgment against you, which will stand on your credit until you pay, then it will be 7 additional years on your credit rating.

I have seen it happen. We have judgments against people at Twin Rivers that haven't been paid.

Living in a world where people don't have to pay their debts, that is not the ideal for me. I am with Doug. If Twin Rivers' owners want to walk away, at least they should ask for a deedback first, and not just ignore collection calls and hope it goes away. It won't go away.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would help if single units, instead of the entire timeshare development, could be converted to whole ownership but I suppose specific unit/week deeding prevents that from being an option.

It looks like weeks based deeded ownership prevents rational 'end game' decisions. Does TS closure aways require 100% of the owners to agree? Is the required threshold just a bylaws issue or is it state law?

This just morphed from a single owner 'walking away' to all owners collectively walking

Perhaps one option would be to do what Torpical Breeze did out of necessity, when rebuilding several years ago. The HOA owned 30-40% of the inventory, spread fairly evenly through the year, in various units, but did not own all the deeds to any one unit. To reduce the cost of rebuilding the resort, the total number of units was reduced, and owners of weeks in the units that were eliminated were given replacement units owned by the HOA. By doing something similar, perhaps a few individual units could be converted to whole ownership.

Depending how this is done, it could be expensive – redeeding 80 or so units (40 to the HOA, 40 from the HOA to individual owners), but in our case it was done as an amendment to the timeshare plan.

The amended Condo Declaration is available online here (Bay County Florida, book 2462, page 742).

Once you take back one TS you have to legally extend that courtesy to all owners. This is a legal issue now, not a moral one anymore.
The same goes for the SA , all owners have to treated equally on a week basis.Whole owners can't be given a special deal
There is no such legal obligation. The HOA board has a fiduciary responsibility to the owners, and must make the decision based on what is best for the owners as a whole. If an individual owner has no way of paying the fees, it may be in the HOA's best interest to take the week back. But if another owner asks to have his week taken back a week later, the HOA is not obligated to do so. If anything, the board is obligated to consider whether this owner is asking for a deedback out of convenience, rather than trying to sell the week. If the HOA is certain the fees will end up being paid, it is their obligation to NOT accept a deedback.
If you take a look at the MF fees at any timeshare it is total fraud:

You have quality condo's in NYC and Miami Beach that have monthly MF fees
for $1000-$2000 these are luxury buildings with all the amenities as Starwood with the pools and everything and that also includes taxes or under $700 a week for a two bedroom condo with taxes. I know someone who bought a condo in Miami beach real luxury and MF fees went up to $3000 a month from $1000 because people did not pay or because they had a lot of foreclosures or $750 a week.

At the Starwood resorts did you see how much of the MF fees go to room cleaning ? I think over $200 a week ? For one cleaning meanwhile if you want a cleaning they charge you $65.

Why as owners can we not find out the exact amount of owners that do not pay ? and the extra paying owners should get extra time. There is a homeowners association but the are useless since they are Starwood. There has to be a way to audit these timeshares and see where the money goes
First, the maintenance fees at a timeshare will always be higher than 50x the fees in a whole ownership condo. Consider what is included in those fees that is often not included for a whole-owner. Furnishings, utilities, weekly cleaning (which costs more than that mid-week cleaning because it is more thorough), front desk management, reservations staff... most condos I'm familiar with don't come with furniture, dishes, linens, or many of the other items included in timeshare maintenance fees.

As for the number of defaulted owners, each of my resorts has a line item for uncollectable fees. Divide that by the fee per unit, and you know exactly how many units are expected to be in default.
How about the developer... not their fault? How about the regulators?

So people who bought because they believed what they were told about stable MFs should be held accountable for the rest of their lives? Pay $3000 in MFs when they were paying $1300 5-6 years ago? With no end to MF increases in sight? Forego watching cable and cell phones to have that overpriced "prepaid" vacation once a year?

If we were dealing with honest developers and salespeople I may be more sympathetic to that argument. Since very few can point to salespeople who were remotely honest with them, I don't think the buck stops with owners. I also can't blame owners who walk away from their obligations if they cannot sell their week even for $1 and if the resort won't take it back. If an asset is completely illiquid and you want out, what choices are there? I don't consider paying PCCs thousands of dollars realistic for most.

Stable MFs -> maintain resale value -> liquid asset-> way out
When you bought your last car, did you do so with the expectation that gas prices would remain relatively stable? Are you aware of what happened with certain types of cars (Hummers, for instance), when gas prices skyrocketed? One of my clients drives a Hummer, and wanted to get rid of it. He couldn't give it away (ok, he didn't try to give it away, but he set his price extremely low. Nobody wanted a Hummer).

You're also assuming that it is the developer who would be taking the weeks back. In many cases, it is not. It is the HOA which represents every individual owner, and which didn't make any promises. Yes, the HOA is responsible for setting the budget, and in many cases they do a great job. But the reality is that costs increase. We live in a society where we want to be paid top dollar for our own work, but balk at the thought of paying the increased price for everyone else to enjoy similar income.
The question remains HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE NOT PAYING THE MF FEES-- they say alot until we know the exact number of non paying owners- we do not know forsure how much extra is being charged in the MF for these non paying owners. Also even if all non paying owners would start paying do you think that the MF fees would go down.

Two years ago when everyone was so called paying the MF fees, the fees were still high so all of this talk about non-paying members is non-sense.

Bottom line is we owners have no-one looking out for our best interest, the developers, association and everyone else is Starwood, until us owners have a say in what goes on..... we will be writing on these chat rooms all day long.... Starwood tried to sell me a two bedroom EOY at SVV for $15k. I told him I can buy on Ebay for $2k or less
I can't speak to the issue at Starwood, but with my resorts, we know exactly how much is being charged to cover people who don't pay - it is a specific line item in the budget. I suspect in the case of your resort, two years ago not everyone WAS in fact paying. In the case of Starwood and some of the other big developers, part of the issue may be fees that were originally set too low, providing no reserve to pay for replacement of worn furnishings, repair of leaking roofs, and other capital "improvements." If the fees were too low to begin with, you have to make up for what wasn't paid for before, as well as setting a reasonable fee going forward.
Late summer 2009 I met with 3 different resort managers about where the 2010 MFs were headed. Each manager had a different growing problem area in collecting the full share of 2009 MF.
One HOA had older owners who simply were not able to travel or whose spouse had died.
One HOA had younger owners who had a wage earner lose a job.
One HOA had too large of a SA causing walkaways and a several year foreclosure process where no MFs had been collected on many intervals.

Only one of the HOAs had assigned an onsite employee to CALL each owner to politely try to get a payment plan made. The manager said mostly the owners wanted to preserve their vacation week, but if not, the resort tried to keep the week from becoming a costly foreclosure.

Another resort manager was proposing a plan to the HOA to package the free and clear fixed weeks as a package time to a vacation club for their ownership. The HOA IMO was paying a lot of legal fees and not collecting MFs for a period of time, only to hand over the weeks ownership to a company "related" to the current management company for a bulk, bundled fee.

The 3rd resort manager was planning another SA.

Owners need to be more active. Learn which resort managers are working for the owners or another entity. Learn if the HOA is truly adapting to the times or just rubber stamping the management company's plan.
Absolutely. While the second option - selling units to a vacation club - might sound like it's in the interest of the vacation club and not the HOA, it might still be a vaiable option, as long as the vacation club will pay its share of the ongoing fees. One option might be to "lease" those weeks to the vacation club, or to sell them at a fair market value (or at "cost" for the HOA which includes and back fees the HOA absorbed once the unit was in default). The HOA's prime responsibility is to get those weeks into the hands of someone who will pay the annual fees.

Alan,

LOL - You are being disingenuous and I think you know it. I'm not sure why you continue to try and spread your FUD (fears, uncertainties, and doubts)... do you know of one resort that takes this path? Again, the costs of going through foreclosure make this path prohibitive for all resorts.

But, if you want to continue go right ahead. :) I'll take the path of being truthful and honest when asked for advice.

Do you really believe in 'What's right is right'
?
Alan might not know of such a resort, but I can say that Tropical Breeze did in fact foreclose on some owners. Granted, it is a more likely scenario when puchase money is still owed, but it is a tool available to all resorts. It is not just a matter of scaring people, but of informing them of reality. Even if the resorts take the weeks back, those owners still owe any back fees, and if the resorts accept the units back in lieu of fees, they cancelling debt, and the owners should be paying taxes on the transaction.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Being Idealistic About Honoring Obligations Doesn't Mean Being Impractical.

Seriously, yes.

A deal is a deal. My word is my bond. A handshake seals the deal.

Not only that, my notarized signature formalizes an agreement that the other party can take to court if I try to get out of it.

I don't know much inside baseball stuff about any timeshare resort. The 1 where I do have a few insights (not much, but some) makes collections Priority One -- ahead of free wi-fi, before unit upgrades, more than timeshare soap, etc.

Collecting everything due from every owner every year is the No. 1 imperative for successful timeshare management any way you shake it.

That means keeping ownership records (i.e., billing records) accurate & up to date, plus billing all owners faithfully on a timely basis, & taking aggressive collection action -- up to & including foreclosure -- against all deadbeats.

It does not mean refusing all deedbacks mox nix, but it for sure does not mean accepting deedbacks automatically on a y'all come basis.

The 1 & only time I was a candidate for a timeshare HOA-BOD, my campaign statement said (& I quote) . . .

Some of the best features of [**timeshare**] are permanent -- outstanding resort layout, architecture of the buildings & units, & of course just about the best timeshare location anywhere in [**city**]. Practically everything else depends on the vision & the judgment of the elected board of directors -- the resort’s overall luxury & quality, its safe & attractive physical condition, its financial soundness & affordability -- not only its excellence today, but its commitment to steady improvement that keeps up the value of the owners’ investment & assures a top-quality [**location**] resort experience for years to come. That’s the reason I am volunteering to serve on the [**timeshare**] board of directors -- to keep [**resort**] management working in the interest of owners like you & me, to make sure every dollar spent returns value to the owners, to solidify the resort’s financial foundation, to keep all ownership & account records complete & accurate, and to go after all delinquent accounts so that annual fees don’t have to cover shortfalls caused by other people’s unpaid bills.

I got soundly beaten in the voting & proxy counting. (So it goes.) I can only hope that my losing the HOA-BOD election doesn't mean that my fellow owners at that timeshare prefer loosey-goosey collection policies & a No Sweat policy on walk-aways.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Maybe we all pay for the one's that walk away... however, I don't like the scenario that is developing now either. A timeshare purchased resale was a good choice a few years ago. If a resort drastically raises their maintenance fees during a time when costs should have stabilized, then I don't feel sorry for them, and I'm willing to let the chips fall where they may.

If my maintenance fees continue to increase to an unacceptable level then I'm sorry, but it will be time for me to walk away also. And I think, besides a select few, that most people here would do the exact same... even though they will never admit it here.

And with that foolish decision you should suffer the consequences of those action. Which should be a drastic lowering of your credit rating. So while you're not paying your MF's you'll be making up for it with increased interest rates, a request for larger down payments or, being denied credit completely. No lender likes to see someone on their books who shows a willingness to just walk on a debt and, make no mistake, once you agree to the contract, either resale or developer purchased, you have agreed to the terms of the HOA/BOD and are bound by those terms.

My step-son once said what can happen if he gets more traffic tickets. They'll just raise his insurance and, as high as it was at the time, how much higher can it get. He found out the hard way. I suspect a lot of people who think it's easy to walk away from a debt will learn the same lesson my step-son learned. There are consequences for your actions and, one way or the other, you end up paying as well. It's not as if those that walk get off the hook without damage. They end up paying as well.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Alan,

What FUD? Put on uncollectable debt and a foreclosure on your credit record and see what happens.

e.bram

Reaction score
dougp26364:
I don't care who pays as long as it is not me!(hey, but I am from New York)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I know a couple who pulled an interesting stunt. The are in their 40's and have been together a long time, but aren't married. They bought a house at the peak of the market and then mortgaged it to the hilt and bought new cars, a boat, etc. However, the mortgage was only in his name, so when they got totally upside down on the loans, they walked away from it, and bought a new house under the woman's name/credit. They are quite proud of themselves and brag about how they worked the system....

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've got no problem with them sticking it to the resort whether I'm another owner of that resort or not.
You realize, though, that if you are talking about MFs, they're not sticking it to "the resort", right? It's not like "the resort" is going to pay for uncollectable debt out of its management fees.

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
You realize, though, that if you are talking about MFs, they're not sticking it to "the resort", right? It's not like "the resort" is going to pay for uncollectable debt out of its management fees.

True, I think it's been fairly well established who "the resort" will turn too to pay the fees. After all, aren't management fees sacred and gauranteed.

I wonder if the tipping point is ever seen before it is passed. I'd like to know what the average age of the current timeshare owner really is. I do believe that "the resort" will find the next generation of internet savy individuals is far less willing to stay and pay their gauranteed fees. Deliver value or be gone......and you'd better start right now.