• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Great Tug Membership Giveaway

geekette

Reaction score
If someone is a member and asks for advice, other members are more likely to take the time to respond, even if they are very busy.

If I place a rental ad on the Last Minute Board and more than one person wants it, I will give it to a member over a non-member. I worry that someone who is too "cheap" to pay a $15. membership fee to support the TUG community, may try to nickle and dime me over a rental transaction.

There's just more of a bond and trust when you see that someone is a member.

Interesting take on it. I've not noticed longtime guests ignoring requests for advice.

I simply have a policy of not paying for internet content that began long before I ever had any knowledge of TUG. If some feel that this makes me look cheap and difficult to work with, I can live with it. I've done business with enuf people on this board to not worry about my rep based on my member status.

The Conch Man

Reaction score
Concur with Geek but the statement made by Jennie is out of line with the long time guest here. We aren't cheap & I was a member a long time ago but after I sold our timeshare, didn't need the membership or its features.

I have dealt with members on their timeshare rentals & did so not long ago with a member. Sometimes I wonder bout people how they can post on here & get away with it makin' the Guest feel unwanted!

If someone is a member and asks for advice, other members are more likely to take the time to respond, even if they are very busy.

If I place a rental ad on the Last Minute Board and more than one person wants it, I will give it to a member over a non-member. I worry that someone who is too "cheap" to pay a $15. membership fee to support the TUG community, may try to nickle and dime me over a rental transaction.

There's just more of a bond and trust when you see that someone is a member.

Interesting take on it. I've not noticed longtime guests ignoring requests for advice.

I simply have a policy of not paying for internet content that began long before I ever had any knowledge of TUG. If some feel that this makes me look cheap and difficult to work with, I can live with it. I've done business with enuf people on this board to not worry about my rep based on my member status.

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Informative comments appreciated. Undercutting guests unnecessary.

Somehow every time this member/guest thing surfaces, I find myself stifling.

This is the first time I recall a member stating they give preferential treatment to members over guests. That is unfortunate.

Some persons help anyone regardless of affiliation on TUG or elsewhere.
There are ways of contributing besides paying a membership fee.
I wonder how many have found TUG by the word being passed along by guests? How many view TUG nowadays?

Member comments such as voiced on this thread that make for under cutting guests are turn offs and not appreciated. IMO there may be more joining if such undercutting comments were withheld.

---------------------
Robert

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Certain people appear here frequently, and I've sometimes wondered about Guests with hundreds or thousands of posts. Awhile ago Geekette commented that she had a policy of not paying for web sites (or something along those lines), at which point I realized everyone's got his or her own reasons.

I consider membership a bargain because I advertise some of my weeks and also post and read the reviews. However, the BBS is quite separate from those, and I might not bother with a membership if that's all I used on TUG. In other words, YMMV.

I enjoy talking to everyone (well, almost everyone), and I'm sure I've gotten just as good advice from guests as members. Machs Nicht to me!

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Somehow every time this member/guest thing surfaces, I find myself stifling.

This is the first time I recall a member stating they give preferential treatment to members over guests. That is unfortunate.

I find Jennie's comment to be a bit disturbing. I'm a member of many internet boards like this, and I think the reason I never became a member has more to do with the fact that I've never had to pay a membership fee on any of them. To be considered "cheap" is insulting.

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand that many folks may have no need to become a member of TUG.

IMO - It is a great bargain to be a member.

If you exchange your timeshare(s) with any regularity, and especially if you have multiple weeks for exchange, you are truely doing yourself a DIS-SERVICE :doh: by remaining a guest.

The SIGHTINGS board is a fantastic benefit of membership.:whoopie:

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's increase the odds. But what's the catch!

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is very nice of you Stricky!

I have been a member of TUG for years but recently joined the BBS forum. As you can see from my post count, I am not here that often. I love the reviews/ratings threads. I am clueless when it comes to these internet forums. I thought everyone was a member - no difference to me either way. Need to stop by more often.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Count me in!

Happy 2010 everyone.

I am offering 3 memberships to 3 random people. I know it is only $15 to join but that does not mean everyone has an extra $15 sitting around.

Monday (Jan 11) I will pick 3 random people and pay for their membership.
PJ

Stricky -- What a generous offer! Count me in for the big event! :)

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
PJ, what a generous idea. Add me to your list.

If I become one of the chosen, I will in turn pay for another. You never know, this could become catching.

Happy New Year,
Robert

I hope your a winner, Robert, I like the "Pay it Forward' idea.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find Jennie's comment to be a bit disturbing. I'm a member of many internet boards like this, and I think the reason I never became a member has more to do with the fact that I've never had to pay a membership fee on any of them. To be considered "cheap" is insulting.

I don't think it's really a matter of considering guests to be cheap, or of giving members an advantage.

If I have a rental, and two people make equivalent offers, I have to choose between them. I could simply accept whichever offer comes first, or I could set a criteria - all things being equal, maybe I prefer to do business with the person who supports TUG through paying a membership fee.

If Jennie ad stated it that way - giving a slight edge to someone supporting the website, rather than implying cheapness on the part of non-member, I don't think anyone would have taken issue.

By the same token, I am also more likely to do business with someone I have seen contributing in other ways, such as offering solid helfulp advice on the BBS and being an active member of the community (I am probably more likely to do business with such a person than with someone who has simply paid the membership fees, though the person who does BOTH trumps all).

While I agree in principle with the idea of not paying for content which is available for free, I also believe in supporting those who make that information more readily available. I make extensive use of our public library for both books and DVDs, but I do still sometimes buy books or DVDs of particular interest, and I do occasionally see movies in the theater... same idea. TUG membership is not for everyone, in the same way that timeshare ownership is not for everyone... to each his own.

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope your a winner, Robert, I like the "Pay it Forward' idea.

All I can say is, god bless those who pay forward.
Several have been good to us in our younger years. Generous acts has allowed us to somehow catch up and we seemingly see beyond the end of the tunnel no matter what happens.

We, like many, have worked years to try and make ends meet, living modestly at best and doing what we can to support our children and grandchildren.

We've downsized twice over the years to keep up mortgages and insurances.

For 21 years we have provided for one granddaughter and seen her through an associates degree. She lives with us and we provide a vehicle so she gets to work. We assist one unemployed son to keep his home from foreclosure.

We have a happy home and we are a good family.
Health hasn't been kind to Caroll, but thankfully she is getting better.

God moves in very amazing ways and we have been so very blessed. It is nice to know that kindness exists. Just seems right to pass some along whenever we can.

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy 2010 everyone.

It seems that there are many here that have never joined Tug for one reason or another.

I am offering 3 memberships to 3 random people. I know it is only $15 to join but that does not mean everyone has an extra $15 sitting around.

If you have never been a member here,
would like to join,
and are not an employee or representative of any TS related company

then...
please post a reply to this message.

Monday (Jan 11) I will pick 3 random people and pay for their membership.

Cheers-
PJ

I just reread your OP. It may be that "never been a member" disqualifys me.
Away back, I recall getting others to join. Don't know how many or that I ever collected, but who keeps account? Maybe Brian would check?

Robert

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry about my comment re: "cheapskates." It was totally uncalled for. That's what happens when I exercise my new found freedom as a retiree to stay up until all hours of the night. The body functions well but the brain isn't always in full gear. By the number (and usually very long length) of the posts I have made since I became a member in 1995, I think that anyone who ""knows me" on these forums knows that I go out of my way to offer advice to anyone who seeks it.

I always jump in and encourage newbies to rescind the over-priced purchase they have just made from a developer. If it's an important issue, and I have the appropriate knowledge and experience, I will always step up to the plate to offer advice But if I have limited time, or am tired, and the question being asked is not time sensitive or urgent, when I see that it is not coming from a "regular" who has probably answered many of my questions in the past, I will put off answering and hope/expect that others will post replies. If I remember, I will check back on my next visit to TUG and make sure that someone has provided what was needed.

When I blurted out my original dumb comment, I wasn't thinking about the people who post regularly but are not members. I was just assuming the generous offer of a free membership was being made for the newish lurkers who don't know what they are missing.

As far as rentals are concerned, I think all of us want to feel that the renter is a responsible person who will treat the unit with respect. A person who has been a TUG member for years will seem much "safer" to me than someone who is quite new to TUG. Many newbies don't even own a timeshare yet. They have luckily found their way to TUG to do homework. They may not know the "drill" about stripping the beds, turning on the dishwasher, and leaving the unit on time. Obviously a TUG "guest" who has posted regularly over the years would not cause me any concern. I guess I just mixed up "guest" with newbie. Mea culpa.

Stricky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to our winners: :cheer:

Sea Six
fillde
Chrisky

Please PM me your name and email address and I will get your membership set up and paid for.

For those that did not win, sorry you did not win but you never know, maybe another kind person will come along and sponsor a new member.:ponder:

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to the Winners and to Stricky!!!

Sea Six
fillde
Chrisky

Please PM me your name and email address and I will get your membership set up and paid for.

For those that did not win, sorry you did not win but you never know, maybe another kind person will come along and sponsor a new member.:ponder:

What an awesome gesture, Stricky! Congratulations on being such a nice person and promoting such a worthwhile membership! :hi:

Congratulations to each of the winners. Enjoy your TUG memberships! :cheer:

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations

Congratulations to Chrisky, Sea Six and fillde, our soon to be members.
In the year to come, make good use of the information now available to you.

Again, thank you Stricky for your generosity.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sea Six
fillde
Chrisky

Thank you very much. :cheer: I've sent you a pm.

avernas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for running the drawing, Stricky. A great way to start the year!