• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2015 ] Travel Advantage Network (TAN)

Judith Frye

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Greetings wonderful TUG community. I have a friend who inherited a membership in Travel Advantage Network and has been paying annual fees but not using any of the properties. I've searched TUG and the internet in general - I've found lots of complaints about TAN, advice not to buy in, a great thread here about how hard and cost-ineffective it is to try to rent out the weeks, a TripAdvisor forum reviewing the specific locations in the network - but I don't see anything about walking away, selling, or otherwise ending one's responsibility to keep paying. Any advice to my friend? Thanks to all, Judy

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id certainly look into the "inheritance"...if its still in the deceased parents name or not.

this is certainly not something worth paying the annual fees for.

Judith Frye

TUG Member
Reaction score
The sad thing is that the mother passed away ten years ago and the son has been paying the annual fees since then, without ever using it! (We got to talking about my timeshare passion and then he "confessed" it.) If anyone out there has experience with walking away from TAN, and whether they pursue you or "ding" your credit, I'd love to know. Thanks, Judy

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The sad thing is that the mother passed away ten years ago and the son has been paying the annual fees since then, without ever using it! (We got to talking about my timeshare passion and then he "confessed" it.) If anyone out there has experience with walking away from TAN, and whether they pursue you or "ding" your credit, I'd love to know. Thanks, Judy

How long was the contract for? The first step is finding out when the contract expires because that might be the easiest out. If it's been 10 years since she passed, it must be at least 10 years old. Maybe it is not under contract anymore and just a year to year option? In that case, cancel.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> The first step is finding out when the contract expires because that might be the easiest out. If it's been 10 years since she passed, it must be at least 10 years old. Maybe it is not under contract anymore and just a year to year option? In that case, cancel.

Good advice, this.

Also, it may very well be that no formal, legal transfer of the parent's contract was ever actually initiated and completed in the first place those 10 years ago.
If that's the case, the "inheriting" son can walk away at will anytime, having no legal responsibility whatsoever for a membership contract never actually in his name.

I have no first hand knowledge of TAN or experience with walking away from any such "membership", but it's hard to imagine that any such "club" would undertake vigorous collection efforts. After all, they already have the "sunk" money of the original buy-in and, unlike a brick and mortar timeshare which relies on maintenance fees to support the facility, post buy-in club fee money is "gravy". It would likely be more profitable for any such "club" operation to chase after the bigger numbers of new buy-in money from new blood than to try to collect fees from a disinterested and / or dissatisfied member (...and a non-participant to boot, in this particular case).

Last edited:

lscott

TUG Member
Reaction score
Former TAN user

We belonged to TAN for years until we bought a timeshare. Unless their rules changed, don't understand contract. After we used vacations already paid for in package, all we did was pay annual membership fee so was easy enough to cancel when next fee due. If there is a vacation package already paid for, TAN surely would not care if you did not renew. But pay no attention to me as it has been several years since I dealt with them.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO TAN could assert they have affirmed the contract by continuing to pay . . . YMMV

If the address and name has been changed without protest, it will be a slam dunk

Ace

Reaction score
Found another older post I can contribute to and maybe offer some advice based on my experience.

Just like when we bought our timeshare from a developer, we fell into the "TAN" trap.

My wife and I bought a membership in "TAN." This was maybe 10 or 15 years ago, and we knew nothing about timeshares at the time (other than a vague memory of a presentation we went to many years before). We were impressed at first. We ended up paying around $5000, and there was an annual membership fee of somewhere around $250 (sorry, I do not remember the exact amounts, but these are close). We had the "opportunity" to book week-long vacations at good places, twice a year I think. Hilton Head was on the list. We were interested in Hilton Head. So we booked a week at Hilton Head. I cannot remember if we had to pay another fee for that (probably, but I really do not remember).

Hilton Head was great, but the place we stayed at was not that great. We were not impressed. In fact we were very disappointed. It was nothing even remotely like clean, Gold Crown timeshare properties. It was basically a condo unit in Hilton Head, with no front desk, no pool, and a long walk from the beach. (We actually decided to drive to the beach for a few of the days we were there.)

We paid their annual membership fee for a couple years, just to keep our options open, but we were so disappointed with this program that we decided to abandon it. We stopped paying the annual dues. They sent us e-mails with a dues invoice every year, but we just ignored it. After a few years of this, they sent us a "special deal" - past dues would be ignored, and we would pick up where we left off. We were not interested. Eventually they stopped sending anything to us, and we do not hear from them anymore. I do not remember whether there were any provisions that they could initiate some kind of "foreclosure" proceeding. It's not like this was a piece of real estate. (I might see if I can find the old paperwork and check this, just out of curiosity.) Nothing about this ever showed up on our credit report.

Last year, my wife talked me into attending a "vacation" presentation. I didn't recognize the name of the company. Even though we promised each other we would not buy anything, she wanted to go because of the "free" ("free" is in quotes for a reason, as you can imagine) cruise and airfare. So we went. During this presentation, the guy was flipping through a chart book, and I recognized a logo. I asked whether this was affiliated with TAN, and it turned out it was. So I told him we already bought into their program, and that we were so disappointed we just decided to give up on the "investment" and never use it again. I actually felt a little sorry for the guy, although I have to say he kept a stone face and didn't seem surprised that we would just walk away from something we paid $5000 for. I think he was either a college student on a summer job or maybe a recent college graduate in his first job, and with kids of my own around his age, we understood his pain in trying to make a living as a recent graduate in this climate. After checking things with his manager, they gave us our "free" cruise and airfare certificate, and we departed. (We never went on the "free" cruise. Of course it wasn't free. Maybe we would have saved some money on it compared to what it would have cost us to book the same thing ourselves, but it certainly was not "free.")

The advice? Don't buy a vacation membership from TAN. The money can be spent better elsewhere, such as on a timeshare on the resale market. And if you have a TAN membership, you can consider the option of just not paying any more dues. They will not let you use their program unless your dues are current, but if you are not using it, consider forgetting about it. One year's worth of dues will buy you a timeshare, and especially if you buy a triennial timeshare, you can find places with annual maintenance fees that are less than what the TAN yearly dues are. It probably would be a good idea to read all of the TAN paperwork to see what kind of trouble you could get yourself into for abandon them. I don't want to guarantee that nothing would ever happen, but at least you would know the range of potential outcomes.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
After checking things with his manager, they gave us our "free" cruise and airfare certificate, and we departed. (We never went on the "free" cruise. Of course it wasn't free. Maybe we would have saved some money on it compared to what it would have cost us to book the same thing ourselves, but it certainly was not "free.")

The advice? Don't buy a vacation membership from TAN. The money can be spent better elsewhere...

Actually, it's been recommended many times and for a long time here on TUG to not buy into these travel/vacation clubs:

http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/timeshare-vacation-club-warning-information.html

There are a few exceptions to this guideline but, for the most part, these clubs are not worth the paper they're written on.

And as for the "free" cruise, that's one reason why it is generally not recommended here on TUG to exchange your TS week for a cruise unless you book a high-end category with multiple cabins on a cruise at least seven days in length.