• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Diamond Resorts

Louish25

Reaction score
I've read many of the threads and found many differing opinions.
I'm looking for advice to my particular situation.

I purchased 3,000 points at Diamond in 2008. Since then we've used our points freeze to accumulate 16,000 points. In January we purchased 3,000 points and moved to the Hawaii collection. That's 19,000 points and we still owe $60,000.00 to Diamond.

Our financial situation changed and I can longer make the full payments. I can't imagine anyone paying $60,000 and not be a member of the club. With maintenance dues, it costs $15,000 a year. I'm looking for some solutions to get out of the timeshare as I cannot afford it anymore. I've looked into selling it, most companies want upfront fees. I also looked into the Finn Law Group as a possibility, as I can go to their office to drop off paperwork. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
wow, that is a tremendous amount of money for points.

unfortunately you have no options to sell as these points have little to no resale value, and you would have to pay off the loan before you could attempt to sell anyway.

I'm looking for some solutions to get out of the timeshare as I cannot afford it anymore.

but you can afford paying someone many thousands of dollars upfront?

Truly sorry you are in this bad situation, but throwing more money away is not likely a very good solution. Have you considered filing for bankrupcy or just letting it foreclose?

bosko40

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW! $60K. I certainly feel your pain. I know there is some great people here that can help you with this. I prefer no-commitment vacation clubs just for this reason. One never knows when their financial situation will change. I pray that you get this resolved quickly and easily.

Louish25

Reaction score
but you can afford paying someone many thousands of dollars upfront?

Truly sorry you are in this bad situation, but throwing more money away is not likely a very good solution. Have you considered filing for bankruptcy or just letting it foreclose?

I was curious, so I consulted a lawyer. $9,500.00 to get me out of it. I just don't have that kind of money. I contacted Diamond two months ago for a deed back and only received a standard email. I like the timeshare, I used it all the time. I should have stopped while I was ahead. There was shady verbiage in Hawaii and we weren't supposed to be at the meeting anyway. We were told it wasn't an update. I was so desperate to keep the price freeze I bought more.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
DRi isnt going to just take back your deed when you owe on the original loan unfortunately.

Louish25

Reaction score
I never thought they would. Too much money to be lost. I'm not sure if hiring a lawyer is too early or should I wait.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I consulted a lawyer. $9,500.00 to get me out of it.
Not quite: $9,500 to maybe get you out of it. I assume that that's not on a contingency basis...

The unfortunate fact is that you entered a binding contract for this purchase, and you owe on it. I think your only option is to stop paying on it and let them foreclose. This will put a dent on your credit, and possibly a substantial one given the debt, but you don't have much choice.

Once you've stopped making payments, you can write them a letter telling them that you will not give them any more money, and they are welcome to go through the full foreclosure process, or they can accept a deed in lieu of foreclosure.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
No way would I pay a lawyer $9,500 unless it is contingency based, and even then it depends. What kind of lawyer is? What is the method used to "get you out of it"? What are the drawbacks? Is this a fixed fee or a retainer? Those are questions that should be answered objectively before committing to any payments. I would be afraid of paying a retainer with little to no positive ending result.

Only if the scenario was $9,500 after the fact of being free and clear with no credit repercussions would I personally consider it. It's still alot of money so some may still weigh letting it go versus that kind of deal.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I never thought they would. Too much money to be lost. I'm not sure if hiring a lawyer is too early or should I wait.

They will lose nothing, they turn around and sell what you have for big money. People here don't like to hear it but one option you have is to walk away after telling them you can no longer pay another penny.

That way they will get it back one way or the other.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've read many of the threads and found many differing opinions.

I'm looking for advice to my particular situation.

I purchased 3,000 points at Diamond in 2008. Since then we've used our points freeze to accumulate 16,000 points. In January we purchased 3,000 points and moved to the Hawaii collection. That's 19,000 points and we still owe $60,000.00 to Diamond.

Our financial situation changed and I can longer make the full payments. I can't imagine anyone paying $60,000 and not be a member of the club. With maintenance dues, it costs $15,000 a year. I'm looking for some solutions to get out of the timeshare as I cannot afford it anymore. I've looked into selling it, most companies want upfront fees. I also looked into the Finn Law Group as a possibility, as I can go to their office to drop off paperwork. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

If your ultimate strategy is default, enjoy what you can before it all comes crashing down. Keep/get current. Use up the points in reservations. Go on vacations. Then start your exit strategy implementation.

Asl18940

Reaction score
I am in the same boat with another company. I just came off of open heart surgery and cancer, and my legal practice is simply not where it was. I can't afford my payments so I did contact that same firm. Look, no lawyer is going to do this for free, and I'm experienced enough to know that you need counsel to go through this kind of process. The concept of contingency is only applicable to personal injury cases, so I have also concluded that paying fees is going to have to be the only way to get out. Having said that, it will still likely result in a deed in lieu ending or a foreclosure, but to not have representation through that process can greatly exacerbate the damage. You will have damaged credit -- I've simply had to accept that. But if I beat two terminal conditions within six months, I will survive damaged credit.