• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Common tactics used by salespersons in presentations

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
This was posted on a facebook page for DRI owners here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/diamondresortsmembers/?hc_location=ufi

(added note, the author wishes to not have this copied or shared without his express permission and or proper citation to the facebook group!)

I just found this an entertaining read:

Do your homework - Make sure you are talking to the decision maker who can spend money on your product and leave no one out who needs to be involved (hence the reason they want both of you to attend meetings).

Be their mate - Lots of buying decisions are made on emotional grounds, invite them to a drink, find common ground (fake if necessary) to build rapport. Use first name often (people warm to that).

Killer questions - Find out what your customer wants and what they dislike about the product, don't lay the blame directly on your company but state something like it is an industry wide problem and that the company recognise this and are working hard to resolve the issue (so avoids putting the blame on DRI) ask how the customer would suggest they resolve the issue - this helps you understand what the customer wants. Makes them believe you are really personally concerned.

Win/win - Prepare for the meeting showing if the customer buys more points it will be win / win (recognise we are offering today a special price, here are extra tier benefits you could receive).

Live the dream - Be enthusiastic tell the customer that you own the product and how it has enhanced your well being and lifestyle - It could work for you also.

Watch their body language - Retaining customer interest is so important you need to look for eye contact, relaxed open pose and not a person who is looking around the room and fidgeting a lot.

Use of NLP - Subtly structuring the way you speak to persuade someone. Start off with an agreement, even if you completely disagree with what they've said. "Whenever you agree with someone, you're essentially opening them up to you. It's a rapport builder," he explains. "If they said something like, 'I wouldn't want to buy one of your products because I think it's rubbish,' you can say: 'I agree you're thinking like that.' "

You can then move your prospect's thoughts away from the negative thing they said to a new talking point. Using the earlier example, you'd say: "I agree you think like that, and the issue isn't the nature of our products, but how much of a return on investment you get from them." So hence move to the positive aspects of product ownership having agreed and sympathised with the customer.

Make them feel like you are a martyr. You want your buyer to feel they're getting fantastic deal. So create the impression you're making sacrifices for them. Pitch your price higher than you expect to them to pay, and gradually allow them to bargain you down. Pick up on any obstacles to a sale so you can push them to one side. If they're telling you your price is too high, ask them if they'd want your product if price wasn't an issue. If they say yes, you're in - you just have to find a price that suits you both.

Play good cop bad cop - Say I would love to do that deal but I would need to defer to a higher authority and then bring in your manager (this protects your position)

Don't rush to close a deal - Everything should be about making your customer feel like they're buying wisely rather than being sold to. So give them some breathing space if you sense they're feeling suffocated of if things are tense. Say you understand this is a big decision and would they prefer to meet at a later date, after they've had some thinking time. It shows you empathise and gives the impression you have their best interests at heart.

I think most folks who have ever attended a sales presentation would recognize a good number of these!

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
This was posted on a facebook page for DRI owners here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/diamondresortsmembers/?hc_location=ufi

(added note, the author wishes to not have this copied or shared without his express permission and or proper citation to the facebook group!)

I just found this an entertaining read:

I think most folks who have ever attended a sales presentation would recognize a good number of these!
Good luck with that. This is the 21st century. This is the INTERWEB! :D

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, im sure the goal is that anyone who wants to share the info, should share the source as well. =)