• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Article

Bill4728

Reaction score
Here is just a small part of that article

moneytalksnews said:
Why you should always buy a timeshare from a current owner

Those maintenance fees are why you should always purchase a timeshare from a current owner rather than buying directly from a developer.

You see, some people are desperate to get out from under those annual fees. Their kids may be grown; their job may be downsized; they may have developed a health condition that limits travel. And yet those annual fees won’t stop coming. And selling a timeshare isn’t easy.

As a result, some owners may be willing to sell their timeshares for pennies on the dollar, especially if you’ll help cover the closing costs.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hits some great points, mentions TUG, solid article!

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The article was very well written. The key is buy direct from t/s owner.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks for sharing. I agree, it's a good article that presents some pros and cons.

Mike

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
"On its consumer website Vacation Better, the American Resort Development Association touts a timeshare as being a way to prepay future vacations at today’s prices. The association notes the average timeshare costs about $20,000, and, depending on where you vacation, that could end up being a bargain compared with a lifetime of hotel costs."

Isn't that one of the lines that TS salespeople use? Of course the ARDA or TS salespeople never mention that airfare, car rentals, and theme park prices go up over the years. How does purchasing a TS today protect an owner from increases of those costs?

Nor do they factor in the interest paid on $20,000. I guess I could go on and on about these lines that Salespeople and the ARDA try to feed people but...:rolleyes:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
"On its consumer website Vacation Better, the American Resort Development Association touts a timeshare as being a way to prepay future vacations at today’s prices. . . .
Isn't that one of the lines that TS salespeople use?
The TS salespeople also fail to mention the ever increasing maintenance fees, too.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is actually one of the best "outside" articles on timeshares I've seen. Most such articles are very poorly researched, woefully inadequate in providing important and / or highly relevant details --- and frequently even include outright misstatements of fact, even if unintentionally. Not so for this particular article.

One item to which I must take exception is Stacy Johnson's video suggestion that an owner / would-be seller contact the developer "to see if they have resale buyers". As we certainly already know around here, that just ain't how developers operate and the answer from any developer to that particular question will always be NO.
A better recommendation from Mr. Johnson would have been to suggest that a bailing owner / unsuccessful seller ask the developer "if they would accept a deedback", which is of course a very different question and one to which the answer will sometimes be YES.

All in all however, otherwise a pretty darn good article!

Last edited:

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
"On its consumer website Vacation Better, the American Resort Development Association touts a timeshare as being a way to prepay future vacations at today’s prices. The association notes the average timeshare costs about $20,000, and, depending on where you vacation, that could end up being a bargain compared with a lifetime of hotel costs."

Isn't that one of the lines that TS salespeople use? Of course the ARDA or TS salespeople never mention that airfare, car rentals, and theme park prices go up over the years. How does purchasing a TS today protect an owner from increases of those costs?

Nor do they factor in the interest paid on $20,000. I guess I could go on and on about these lines that Salespeople and the ARDA try to feed people but...:rolleyes:

I agree completely with these observations, but with respect those observations may go a bit "sideways" from the article to (always "spinning" and predictable) ARDA.

In fairness to the author(s) of the article, they merely quoted some (predictably lame, incomplete and somewhat misleading) ARDA-issued statements and figures.
I can't fault the article authors for not delving any further into travel cost increases, which obviously apply to virtually any and all travel, irrespective of timeshares.
It's ARDA (i.e., not the authors of this article, who merely quoted ARDA's words) who always deliberately paint a biased and incomplete financial picture, no? :shrug:

Last edited: