• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Someone is trolling the classified ads, trying to steal personal information

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, it is not only links or attachments from strangers anymore you have to look out for. I work for a financial institution and we are even getting emails from emails from what appears people we know (same email address and everything) asking to click on this or open that. I now try not to click on any link or attachment via email anymore.

It is sad.....but the bad guys are getting better and better at this.

I clicked a link from my brother in law, and received a call from my broker early the next morning. I had sent him an email asking him to wire $85,000 immediately

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Here is a sample with the link removed:

rsjb1975@sbcglobal.net
7:04 PM (3 minutes ago)

to me 

Error 43: The senders mail body failed to render.

Go HERE to display the email. If your message is not viewed within 48 hours after opening this error the e-mail message will be deleted from our mail servers.

Gmail error message ID: 047373 (Mon Aug 15 22:04:46 2016)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
not sure how to continually remind folks of this...but if someone asks you to click on a link in an email, you really shouldnt do it.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some healthy skepticism

not sure how to continually remind folks of this...but if someone asks you to click on a link in an email, you really shouldnt do it.

Some healthy skepticism is always in order on internet transactions. It's not just the booby-trapped document. It might be the renter who sends too big a check and wants cash back right away. Or it could be the website that "looks just like Google." Or maybe the scammer that contacts you via email and seems so very sincere. Beware of every dealing with strangers who contact you, unsolicited, over the internet. It's safe to assume they are smarter than you.

Anyone remember this thread?

Larry

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
and another bump, as clearly this is still happening to folks.

please stop clicking on "Attachments" or "google docs" in emails from strangers!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
and yet another bump, we are still getting reports of folks having their private emails hacked on a weekly basis by clicking links sent to them in emails.

it is amazing to me that these scammers are so effective at getting people to click random links in emails!

chemery2355

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rental Scam Probably still alive

I also just received an email with a seemingly valid request to rent my Maui week. I responded that it was available and asked for them to call me. They actually did.

Bob & Carolyn Riley

We had a conversation, all seemed OK and I sent the rental agreement. What I got back was their reply saying they had made a small change and couldn't send the pdf file back. They sent a Google Docs link instead. I'm usually pretty vigilant about these things but I guess I was lulled into a false sense of security. I hit the link and thank God Norton kicked in and warned me that the web page was a virus.

Haven't heard anything back from them. Beware!

Last edited by a moderator:

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also just received an email with a seemingly valid request to rent my Maui week. I responded that it was available and asked for them to call me. They actually did.

Bob & Carolyn Riley

We had a conversation, all seemed OK and I sent the rental agreement. What I got back was their reply saying they had made a small change and couldn't send the pdf file back. They sent a Google Docs link instead. I'm usually pretty vigilant about these things but I guess I was lulled into a false sense of security. I hit the link and thank God Norton kicked in and warned me that the web page was a virus.

It seems like scammers are becoming more sophisticated all the time. Disappearing are those days when semi-literate responses, atrocious grammar and completely irrelevant and inappropriate questions were usually reliable, "self-exposing" scammer characteristics.

IMnsHO, it's quite bold even for a legitimate renter to unilaterally make changes to the content of an owner's rental agreement anyhow --- without any prior discussion of any such potential "contract alteration". That inappropriate move alone would certainly give me some pause and concern, even without the lame song and dance about somehow not being able to send back a pdf file.

P.S. I hope that the link in your post is not a different path to "virus land", but I for one won't be clicking on it to find out...

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, new TUG Member, for sharing this!

Bob & Carolyn Riley

Wow, now they're calling first. That seems to to be a new one and could certainly throw one off to the point of dropping one's guard.

Welcome to TUG!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Bob & Carolyn Riley

despite your norton antivirus warning, id still suggest changing your email passwords asap.

sadly they now likely have your name, and information for your valid maui week that they can provide to others who contact them and attempt to lure them into paying them for a week they dont own (but looks legitimate because its a valid rental offered by a valid owner).

the goal of these links isnt so much to obtain access to your email accounts, but go gain access to legitimate rental information to utilize in their scams to extract money from folks by pretending to be the owners of these high dollar rentals.

we are finding it more and more common that these scams involve folks claiming the weeks they are offering for rent are owned by a "spouse" or "friend" to explain the discrepancy in name and address of the actual owner, all the while you are in communication with a scammer using a different name.

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good grief.

despite your norton antivirus warning, id still suggest changing your email passwords asap.

sadly they now likely have your name, and information for your valid maui week that they can provide to others who contact them and attempt to lure them into paying them for a week they dont own (but looks legitimate because its a valid rental offered by a valid owner).

the goal of these links isnt so much to obtain access to your email accounts, but go gain access to legitimate rental information to utilize in their scams to extract money from folks by pretending to be the owners of these high dollar rentals.

we are finding it more and more common that these scams involve folks claiming the weeks they are offering for rent are owned by a "spouse" or "friend" to explain the discrepancy in name and address of the actual owner, all the while you are in communication with a scammer using a different name.

Thank you, Brian, for expanding on this. It's very helpful to all of us that don't think of everything. It may seem that folks should know these things, but scammers are always a step ahead with new ways of taking advantage of others.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
just another reminder that this is still an issue...people are actively sending emails to members with links to click that ends up with them getting access to your email accounts!

had another person today claim they got an inquiry about an ad they had posted, and the potential renter sent them a link to click on supposedly as a contract/agreement to read over etc...ended up having his aol email compromised.

Received one of these as well. It's great having Tug to alert others! When I sent the rental agreement, here is the reply I received-

"I resent the rental agreement, via GoogleDOc and signed underneath.
See attached, login to view the document. I made some changes on the contract.
Please confirm and let me know if everthing is all good with the signed contract . I am so excited about this vacation. As soon as you confirm, i will wait for your paypal invoice and make payment.
Will wait to hear from you soonest."

I sent an email back asking for their contact info and they replied it's in the google docs link.

Seems like a scam to me.:annoyed:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
dont click on any links to google docs in emails from strangers.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
If an email account has been compromised do you prevent the TUGGER from posting ads?

yes, if we discover someone has lost access to their own personal email address...we will not permit that account to post ads in the marketplace.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
and yet another reminder, as we got multiple reports this week alone of people who are contacting members thru their ads and asking them to click on "google docs".

there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that someone should click on an unrecognized link in an email from a 3rd party.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I was contacted through a Craigslist ad about my rental. Person was very eager. Asked no questions, except about dates. When told I didn't have June dates, only the listed dates in ad, they were eager to rent. He asked for an agreement. As soon as the the agreement was sent, I received an email back with a link to open. No way did he have time to go through my agreement. He asked no questions about the unit or my ownership. Thanks to this thread, I knew not to click on the link in the email. The person sending the email was Derek Beatties who was "interested" in my Craigslist ad for the Florida Keys.

Thank you TUG and TUGBrian!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have also been receiving "click this link" emails from people that I know. I am guessing that their email Accts. have been hijacked. So even if you know the person - if you aren't expecting a document from them, don't click!