• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rent or buy resale

paluamalia

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN
We are moving to Florida within 50 miles of WDW. We like to stay in the DVC resorts, particularly OKW in the studio for a night or two. It lets us relax and go to the spa, enjoy the pools, resorts, shows, etc. and we don't have to drive home at night or when we are tired. We are both active seniors. We also like the airport pick up/drop off options as well.
We would reserve the stay within 6 weeks to 2 weeks prior to arriving. In the past we have rented from owners, but we are considering buying a 150 point or so package.
Will becoming a DVC member give us more flexibility in stays? A contract of that size would cost about $85 a point, we use the resorts in the off season. Even if we pay 14 a point an OKW 2 night stay would cost $280. Renting seems a better option, or am I missing some thing? Input would be appreciated.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I would not buy, you will get so many great deals to rent with the flexibility of living so close your head will spin.

Keep a eye on the rental offered section almost all the time ridiculous deals come thru.

DisneyDenis

Reaction score
We are moving to Florida within 50 miles of WDW. We like to stay in the DVC resorts, particularly OKW in the studio for a night or two. It lets us relax and go to the spa, enjoy the pools, resorts, shows, etc. and we don't have to drive home at night or when we are tired. We are both active seniors. We also like the airport pick up/drop off options as well.
We would reserve the stay within 6 weeks to 2 weeks prior to arriving. In the past we have rented from owners, but we are considering buying a 150 point or so package.
Will becoming a DVC member give us more flexibility in stays? A contract of that size would cost about $85 a point, we use the resorts in the off season. Even if we pay 14 a point an OKW 2 night stay would cost $280. Renting seems a better option, or am I missing some thing? Input would be appreciated.
I am 67 and bought DVC Boardwalk 100 pts 5 yrs ago and SSR 160 points 2.5 years ago. I believe you should buy especially one contract. I rent a lot of my points. My suggestion to you is to rent half your points or so. My rentals give me a bit over twice the cost of membership fees. So, renting half pays all your MFs.and the other half are in essence free. You should only wait to get an extended contract OKW hopefully loaded.

As far as selling the way things are going with DVC all contracts are RISING in value and in 4 years you will get your money back plus even factoring in closing costs and commission and fees. So your money is safe.

I would not buy, you will get so many great deals to rent with the flexibility of living so close your head will spin.

Keep a eye on the rental offered section almost all the time ridiculous deals come thru.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

paluamalia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN
2 thoughts

These 2 replies are what goes on in my head when I consider buying! :shrug:

I have 3 days booked at French quarter when we make the move in October
I'll keep my eyes out for what rental deals and purchase deals are out there.

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not just take a florida residents hotel stay right next to the park (but off property) for less than 100 per night. Heck there are almost always timeshare rentals for within 10 min of property for 100 bucks a night or less in 1 or 2 br..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

paluamalia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN
We've done that and it's not the same...as we get a bit older there is nothing like someone else driving you home, or Driving you to your favorite restaurant, or going by boat. It is more expensive, but worth it for our comfort and convenience.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I would not buy if you can only plan two to six weeks out Even Saratoga will be booked, much less Old Key West. I would just rent.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
if you are 6 or less weeks out, you should be able to easily rent points from a DVc member who has expiring points for $10 or less a point.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
IF you were to buy, under your circumstances I would buy at SSR.

MF are lower,
Contract expires in 2054, not 2042 like OKW.

So in 15 years the resale value of SSR should be much higher than a OKW.
Just a thought.

DisneyDenis

Reaction score
IF you were to buy, under your circumstances I would buy at SSR.

MF are lower,
Contract expires in 2054, not 2042 like OKW.

So in 15 years the resale value of SSR should be much higher than a OKW.
Just a thought.
As a member who has points like me you can login to the DVC Member Site. They have "last minute" availability 60 days from today.

Many renters have their own priorities. One large renter will not rent 2 day rentals period. I don't care how small myself when I rent.

The way Disney has been escalating existing and new resorts, prices for DVC resales have been following in turn. In addition Disney is in the process of converting a large part their hotel rooms into DVC. Owners are in a good spot.

DVC is unique amoung.timeshares and does not follow the usual rule of thumb. Only a major economic collapse will change this picture. Again I believe you should buy that resale.

Denis

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy resale. If you like Disney's Old Key West Resort buy an extended contract. That's what I did. I bought two of them.

What I'm not getting is the last minute part of this. Very often there is little to no availablity last minute. I think Disney takes them within the last two weeks to rent out through central reservations. Even within the last month, you will usually only see Disney's Saratoga Springs studios.

I think you should do this: buy the OKW extended contract and learn to plan your short stays at least 3 months before your travel dates. That should get you into OKW without any hassles.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you rent on that short of notice, you'll get really good prices from owners. I do not recommend buying if you always plan to book at 6 weeks or less.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Buy resale. If you like Disney's Old Key West Resort buy an extended contract. That's what I did. I bought two of them.

What I'm not getting is the last minute part of this. Very often there is little to no availablity last minute. I think Disney takes them within the last two weeks to rent out through central reservations. Even within the last month, you will usually only see Disney's Saratoga Springs studios.

I think you should do this: buy the OKW extended contract and learn to plan your short stays at least 3 months before your travel dates. That should get you into OKW without any hassles.
If memory serves me right dvc has the right to rent unused inventory at 60 days out. This is called "breakage" and the hoa gets a percentage back but it is a miniscule amount.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
Regardless of whether your rent or buy, last minute reservations are difficult with DVC, which often sells out during peak demand. The most flexibility is going to be booking direct with Disney since they take all DVC inventory at 60 days to rent out themselves. That said, if you manage to go during non-peak times, which sounds like you have in the past since you were able to rent, then owning provides you a little more flexibility that renting, since you can just go online any time and book without waiting a few days to find a renter. You will also own the reservation, so it's easier to add DDP, book DME, and you get the added flexibility of being able to cancel, which you can't do with a rental.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
What is the average rental rate per point for DVC rentals? Are there additional charges that are required.

Just trying to figure out average rental rates.

Also heading to the rental board.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would not buy until you try renting directly from owners who have expiring points. If you have trouble getting what you want, then that means you need to plan earlier. Which means that buying DVC for last minute reservations would not have worked for you either. If you can get when/where you want on multiple trips, then, you can decide whether you want to buy.
In the alternative, you could book with a FL resident or annual pass rate thru WDW, being able to canx at 6 days out, if you decide not to take a trip. For a quick overnight, I would be fine to stay at a value such as POP, AoA, etc. for under $100 per night during off season. I understand the onsite preference--me too! Elaine

Last edited:

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would rent. You can already buy a discounted pass (which isn't guaranteed with DVC anyway.) When you look at the FSOT boards they are flooded with people who are trying to get something for points that are about to die. And then there are those whose points are in holding and they would rather rent out the reservation as opposed to having holding points.

The only problem is that you don't have access to the site. It is very fluid. And you also have to know that the chance of actually sliding dates one way or the other just isn't going to happen.

djohn06

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Hilton Head, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk and AKV
Vistana SBP and SVV
Harborside
WKV & WKORN
Bluegreen Harbor Lights
Wyndam Waikiki Beachwalk
Wyndam Great Smokey Mountains
Quarterhouse New Orleans
Laguna Surf
Marriott Monarch
I would not buy until you try renting directly from owners who have expiring points. If you have trouble getting what you want, then that means you need to plan earlier. Which means that buying DVC for last minute reservations would not have worked for you either. If you can get when/where you want on multiple trips, then, you can decide whether you want to buy.
In the alternative, you could book with a FL resident or annual pass rate thru WDW, being able to canx at 6 days out, if you decide not to take a trip. For a quick overnight, I would be fine to stay at a value such as POP, AoA, etc. for under $100 per night during off season. I understand the onsite preference--me too! Elaine

Buying expiring points means you are dealing with owners who typically aren't experienced, not to mention you open yourself up to more scammers claiming they have deals for you as every time you buy, it's going to be from someone different.

If a moderate resort works for you, I would just book that through Disney. DVC resorts sell out quickly and many seasons it's darn near impossible to find a reservation within 6 weeks.

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
Renting

We have rented many times from DVC owners on Mouseowners. We have paid anywhere from $2-8/point for a reservation. I look for owners with distressed points or expiring reservations and make an offer. We live only 75 miles from WDW so we have all kinds of options as to when to go. The closer to the reservation or end of the month the cheaper the price gets. Good deals can be had.

Also, Dave's does last minute reservations. Usually only SSR is available and points go for $8.

That being said, this strategy is hit or miss. More like a " Honey look what I found for Disney this weekend!" thing. Perfect for a local. Forget about it for travelers or people that want to go at specific times. If it hits it hits . If not, oh well.

Now, if you want to go for specific events or happenings that are popular you really need to own. There just isn't any availability. There may be points available but no rooms. You want to hit Food and Wine at Epcot? Better have it booked in advance. New Years and Christmas, same thing.

To me it sounds like you are more likely To go when something pops on the rental board. I would go the rental route for now. Prices for DVC are high. Especially in an economy that has been staggering for a decade. If the economy heads back into recession prices will tumble and bargains will be available. No need to rush in and buy.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Renting a studio in off-season at last minute rates is likely less than WDW moderate. Personally, for a late park night, I would just get a value with an AP rate. But, I would not be too concerned renting from an owner, esp. if you had a quick phone call with them. Plus, as it's only a night or two in off-season, the financial risk is minimal. Possible that you'd get a scammer, but I'd rather risk it with $6 a point for a couple 10 point nights in a studio than pay a middleman top dollar for last minute rentals, IMHO.
OTOH, $8 via Davids for SSR is a decent deal.

Last edited:

paluamalia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN
Discount points

Renting a studio in off-season at last minute rates is likely less than WDW moderate. Personally, for a late park night, I would just get a value with an AP rate. But, I would not be too concerned renting from an owner, esp. if you had a quick phone call with them. Plus, as it's only a night or two in off-season, the financial risk is minimal. Possible that you'd get a scammer, but I'd rather risk it with $6 a point for a couple 10 point nights in a studio than pay a middleman top dollar for last minute rentals, IMHO.
OTOH, $8 via Davids for SSR is a decent deal.

I have not seen any specials for Oct/Nov even as low as $10 a point. I tried to find one night for Nov 9 in a studio...OKW SSR or Boardwalk and no luck...specials seem to work better for larger units or more points

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I didn't consider that many renting points would not want to bother with 1-2 nights. If you have no luck renting points for last minute, then I would stay in moderates or values for a year and get someone to check DVC availabity for typical times you might go at typical notice you would have (such as at 1 month's notice) to get an idea if there would even be availability. Tjhere's no point to buy DVC if you cannot make reservations.

haras

TUG Member
Reaction score
disney rentals

I'm sure you found the answer to your question, but I wanted to reply in case you didn't. I find the renters with lots of points at the really sought after resorts like polynesian and grand floridian, beach club will ask $14-$15/pp. you really only get super cheap deals from the points that will expire in 1-2 months and those tend to go for $8-10/pp.

What is the average rental rate per point for DVC rentals? Are there additional charges that are required.

Just trying to figure out average rental rates.

Also heading to the rental board.

paluamalia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN
Thanks for all the input. We have decided to keep renting. I just got a studio for one night at SSR for $8.00 a point mid December. My spouse Mary is a veteran so we can get Shades of Green in January and September, we don't go to Disney in summer, or school vacations. We are Passholders so specials in the hotels are possible as well. We stayed at French Quarter in October, we used SPG points at the Dolphin in November....so far so good.
I think I would like to have the experience of being a DVC member, but it really isn't necessary.
We probably would not stay in the the value resorts, but the moderates are ok.
I'm looking forward to SSR, if we really like it I may revisit ownership.

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
October and November are hard to get last minute.