• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Premier Vacation Collection

Peterh1952

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am interested in starting a thread for anyone who is part of the Diamond Resorts Premier Vacation Collection (PVC - could be considered a subset of 'The Club' with a more limited range of resorts). I became a member with the demise and subsequent takeover by DRI of ILX. A few points:
1. the Member ('HOA') site is woefully out of date. Looking for audited statements, AGM presentation, cover letter explaining fee increases etc. None of it is on the website. Looks like the Board is asleep at the switch
2. Fees just keep going up and up (for 8500 annual points and a membership in 'the collection' am now paying $1760 per year.
3. Anyone know if DRI will buy back? I haven't enquired with them yet, but kind of doubt it. Anyone have any comments on the possibility of unloading this (note that the 'flagship' resort is Los Abrigados in Sedona)
4. Has anyone who was with ILX and transitioned to DRI considered selling or otherwise disposing of their timeshare?
Basically, I am just trying to get others opinions and see if there are folks out there who are in the same kind of dilemma. I'd really like to get a PVC owners group going on this forum so we can compare experiences and talk strategy in dealing with the board/association.

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the same situation as you. Started out as Sedona Vacation Club, then ILX convinced me to upgrade to Premiere Vacation Club, then when ILX folded, I am now in Premiere Vacation Collection. I wonder about the HOA, they do seem to be a relaxed bunch.

I was considering trying to get rid of this timeshare a couple of years ago when fees went up markedly, but they are stabilizing somewhat now. I'm not sure how to unload it other than offer it up for free here to someone. I haven't asked DR if they'd take it back. Last time I was in Sedona, 2 years ago, I saw a PVC unit and others up for sale, or at least advertised at a realty place in Cottonwood. They'd handle the sell of it for $50. I might go that route, but I'm likely going to keep it for a while yet. The sales person there convinced me that it's worth hanging on to, gets me back to Sedona on a regular basis (I'm from Ontario).

I'm a bit peeved, though, today because I just realized that I forgot to save or carry over my points last year (I'm an every other year owner) and so I lost my 3000 points:annoyed:. I was hoping to go this year with my 6000 points for the 1 bedroom. Now, if I do, I'll have to borrow from 2016 to go. I hate this. I wished they'd send you a reminder to save the points, especially for those of us originally EOY owners.

Peterh1952

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I thought I might be the only one out there! Great to hear that there are some others in the same situation. Yes, the HOA as far as I can see are just a bunch of DRI hacks. I contacted them last year to express my frustrations over management fees that were increasing at over 10 percent per year. They basically told me that ILX were undercharging and now they were playing catch up. But the real reason that MF are so high is the huge bad debt situation they are dealing with. The audited financials really worry me for many reasons. What I fwar now is that they are going to come through with some 'special assessment' for some major replacement. It's happened before with DRI. I am trying to sell the whole thing for a dollar on TUG marketplace, but I must say I am not optimistic. Yes, the carryover of points is a pain, and I can quite see how it can get forgotten. I have made various enquiries with Sedona brokers and others and essentially am told that they want nothing to do with it. I understand there are literally hundreds of Los Abrigados owners trying to offload. It is a real dilemma, but would be pleased to keep in touch and commiserate!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Peter - be sure you post it on the Bargain Deals forum, and other websites, as well - you want as much exposure as possible:

There are TWO places on TUG where you can give away your TS's for free (no charge for the Ads.) There are other cheap and free sites on the internet, as well.

TUG Marketplace - the only cost is your TUG membership - $15 (List it for $1 and it will automatically go in the Bargain Basement Ads.)

->>> Bargain Deals - this is not the same as the Marketplace.

I'd also post it on Craigslist and Redweek, for example. I am giving a timeshare away myself, and I found a taker by posting it on Craigslist, in the area where the timeshare is located.

Last edited:

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, let's keep in touch because I may try to unload this one day and would appreciate any suggestion on how best to do it.

For me, it would probably tear me apart to have to get rid of this timeshare. I love Sedona, and I like having the opportunity to go back there every other year. But travel has changed, and there are many ways to get to a destination these days, than having a timeshare. I wish I still had my Sedona Vacation Club, actually. I've never gone to the other resorts we're entitled to use.

I've been keeping an eye on posts on TUG about how to unload a timeshare, ranging from asking the resort to take it back, hiring a company to do it (there is a reputable one in Phoenix), to giving it away here (will anyone take it?).

When you contacted DRI last year was that by phone or did they make you sit through an "information session"? I abhor those, and so far felt that was the only way I could get updates on what's going on on the property.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

Peterh1952

TUG Member
Reaction score
Peter - be sure you post it on the Bargain Deals forum, and other websites, as well - you want as much exposure as possible:

I'd also post it on Craigslist and Redweek, for example. I am giving a timeshare away myself, and I found a taker by posting it on Craigslist, in the area where the timeshare is located.

Thank you, Denise. Good advice

Peterh1952

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, let's keep in touch because I may try to unload this one day and would appreciate any suggestion on how best to do it.

For me, it would probably tear me apart to have to get rid of this timeshare. I love Sedona, and I like having the opportunity to go back there every other year. But travel has changed, and there are many ways to get to a destination these days, than having a timeshare. I wish I still had my Sedona Vacation Club, actually. I've never gone to the other resorts we're entitled to use.

I've been keeping an eye on posts on TUG about how to unload a timeshare, ranging from asking the resort to take it back, hiring a company to do it (there is a reputable one in Phoenix), to giving it away here (will anyone take it?).

When you contacted DRI last year was that by phone or did they make you sit through an "information session"? I abhor those, and so far felt that was the only way I could get updates on what's going on on the property.

hi Marg - to be fair to the HOA, they did get back to me after I wrote a letter expressing my concerns. Kathy Wheeler (I think she is the Secretary/Treasurer) called me, and we had a long conversation. She essentially admitted that if they keep on increasing MF, there will be a tipping point at which nearly everyone will simply walk away from the units. She also acknowledged that they have no value on the open market (thats the reason I am offering it for $1). She thought that the MF would stabilize gradually, but that depends on their success in reducing the bad debt. I notice that they are still increasing at a very significant annual rate. I found Kathy Wheeler to be quite straightforward and candid. More recently I have 'picked a bone' with the HOA over the poor management of the web site. I had to contact them repeatedly last Fall to get current documents loaded to the web site (they were missing audited financials, meeting minutes, AGM presentation, cover letter etc.) After 3 or 4 attempts and several phone calls, I received an apology and a belated update to the site. I just don't understand it, its as if they cannot be bothered to communicate with owners.

Peterh1952

TUG Member
Reaction score

Denise - what is the 'bargain deals FORUM'? is this part of the BBS system? And when you list an ad on TUG do you submit it twice, then, i.e once to the Bargain Basement, and again on the Marketplace. I dont quite understand. Right now my ad appears in the Bargain Basement.

thanks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Bargain Deals Forum is here in the discussion forums (where you are posting now.)

The Bargain Basement is in the TUG Marketplace - which is our "classifieds."

They are completely different areas, with different audiences, so you want to post in BOTH areas for maximum exposure.

CLICK HERE ->>> Bargain Deals

FYI - Anything you see in bright blue on TUG is a link that you can click on.

Last edited:

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
....She essentially admitted that if they keep on increasing MF, there will be a tipping point at which nearly everyone will simply walk away from the units. She also acknowledged that they have no value on the open market (thats the reason I am offering it for $1). .......More recently I have 'picked a bone' with the HOA over the poor management of the web site. I had to contact them repeatedly last Fall to get current documents loaded to the web site (they were missing audited financials, meeting minutes, AGM presentation, cover letter etc.) After 3 or 4 attempts and several phone calls, I received an apology and a belated update to the site. .

I wish it were as easy as that...walking away from the units, but I've read here on TUG that doing so could hurt your credit score or you'll have claims people chasing after you. I wish the resorts would be more open and receptive of taking them back, hassle free. Surely they could then turn around and sell the units again.

Thanks for chasing after HOA to get documents online. They were far behind, last I looked. It is a pathetic website. As an owner I definitely don't feel as though I'm valued much. And it's been an adjustment getting used to DRI.

I'm not sure what they're putting fees towards. When I was last there, 2 years, ago, I couldn't believe they still didn't have internet in the rooms. Even cheap hotels have internet in rooms.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too thought I was the only one. I was with ILX, upgraded to PVC (probably while ILX was already going into bankruptcy), and then DRI took over.

I would LOVE to dump this timeshare. I'm sure it works for some but we already have two others. Two is enough as even though DH and I are in our '50s, we don't plan on retiring for at least a few years.

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like me....I likely upgraded to PVC while they were probably in early stages of bankruptcy. {shakes head}

Well, let me know how you both unload yours. If fees keep going up significantly, I'll want to do the same. Would appreciate knowing how it went for you.

It's interesting that I can trade into Los Abrigados using my mother's timeshare from West Virginia cheaper than what I pay for fees. Her fees are about $450 or $480 a year, so it's better if I get access to Los Abrigados that way.

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just happened to have Undercover Boss on last night on the Oprah Network and who should they be focussing on this time, none other than the CEO of Diamond Resorts, Stephen Cloobeck. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth from the get go, watching his lavish lifestyle (private jet, mansion on the beach, body guard, etc) all paid for by our money LOL. Worth a watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9grazfc0CRQ And at the end, he doles out 10 X more money than I've ever seen other bosses give their employees on this show. The show apparently created quite an uproar amongst the owners of one of their timeshare resorts on Hawaii, when it was filmed 3 years ago.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/entert...ar-finds-appearance-brings-unwanted-attention

Looking further online, I found this thread started by someone clearly in our situation, from Los Abrigados, bought in when it was ILX, now fed up with Diamond.

http://www.redweek.com/forums/messages?thread_id=18279

Bill4728

Reaction score
Bell Rock Inn & Suites .......Sedona, Arizona
Carriage House.............. Las Vegas, Nevada
Crag's Lodge at Golden Eagle ...Estes Park, Colorado
Inn at Los Abrigados.... .. Sedona, Arizona
Kohl's Ranch Lodge .....Payson, Arizona
Los Abrigados Resort and Spa ...Sedona, Arizona
Rancho Manana ..........Cave Creek, Arizona
Roundhouse Resort ....Pinetop, Arizona
Sea of Cortez Beach Club .....Nuevo Guaymas, Mexico
Varsity Clubs of America - Tucson ... Tucson, Arizona
Varsity Clubs of America South Bend.. Mishawaka, Indiana
Sea of Cortez Premiere Vacation Club.... Sonora, Mexico.

Are these the resorts associated with ILX and Premiere Vacation Club?

Last edited:

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, these resorts are part of what used to be called Premiere Vacation Club under ILX. Now, under Diamond, it is Premiere Vacation Collection.

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas,
HGVC MAX, Worldmark, Wyndham CWA
I was fortunate enough to give my Los Abrigados EOY week away on TUG just as ILX was being bought by Diamond and the maintenance fees were still reasonable. Mine was a deeded week and I never upgraded to any of the ILX points programs and I gave it to someone who lived in Phoenix who was planning on just using it for actual stays at Los Abrigados. From the sounds of it, I got out at the right time and I would most likely not be able to even give it away now. I paid the closing costs which helped as well.