• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SFX Hawaii Big Island Exchanges

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have requested exchanges to the Big Island through SFX, I'd like to know how long it took you to get a confirmation, what time of the year you went and how flexible you were.

I ask because I've had an exchange request in for September 2007 for several months now with no offers. I'm trying to get back to back weeks on Oahu and the Big Island. My Oahu week was confirmed (for Labor Day week) the day after I made the request. As a result there is now only one week (the week following Labor Day week) that will work for me on the Big Island.

I hope my confirmation will come through soon because I'd like to get frequent flier seats.
Do you think it would be a good bet to book the seats before I get a confirmation from SFX?

short

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sept is low season.

Sept is low (gold)season in Hawaii(if Hawaii has a low season) according to HGVC season chart. If you have The Bay Club on you list they will likely not show up until at least 12 months out when reservations can be made.

Short

JROBIN

TUG Member
Reaction score
I exchanged a Kona Coast Week for 2 weeks on the big island last July. SFX provided confirmation for both weeks within 1 week of my initial deposit with them. The first week was for Thanksgiving and the second week was for the week after Thanksgiving (The Thanksgiving week actually came through first). I was quite pleased that both trades were accomplished so quickly.

tmartin1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting

Hi,I've had a request for Hawaii (Big Island, Oahu, or Maui) for about 4-5 months now. My request was for the entire summer 2007.
At first, I received 2 calls, but they were for resorts I didn't want, so I turned them down.To be fair to SFX, my request is very restrictive now. My daughter made the cheer team at her high school, so I had to change the request to the third week in June (she has practice the rest of the summer).

When I changed my request, I had to call and e-mail several times before I received a response. It took almost 2 weeks to change my request, so I'm a bit nervous about ever receiving a confirmation. This was a couple of months ago, and I've never received a phone call since I changed it.

I hope they come through. We deposited a prime Thanksgiving 2006 Embassy Poipu week with them.

Theresa

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
tmartin1 said:
When I changed my request, I had to call and e-mail several times before I received a response. It took almost 2 weeks to change my request, so I'm a bit nervous about ever receiving a confirmation. This was a couple of months ago, and I've never received a phone call since I changed it.

Did you know that you can go to your account on their website and change the request in a manner of minutes - and you get an emailed confirmation immediately. I think that's better than calling because then you have a confirmation of your request in writing. You can also go to your account and see what's already been requested, add other requests, etc. It's very easy.

tmartin1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Denise,
Yes, I knew that I could change it on-line. But, the only option I had was to delete and then re-create the reservation. I was worried that it would put me at the back of the queue by deleting it.

I was hoping that they could go in and modify it but keep the original request date.

As bad as RCI's website is, at least I always know I'm in control (to some extent!) :)

Theresa

dude-luv

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Changing Your Request with SFX

If you change the request on-line, you will likely lose your place in the queue. The best thing to do is to phone them and have them change it manually. I have done this several times and it seems to work. At the same
time, it gives you an opportunity to discuss your request with them. I have found that the 'squeaky wheel' gets the results with SFX. After several years, I still have 'no feel' as to how they operate or how they assign exchanges. Sometimes it appears 'out of the blue' with a phone call from them and at other times I will phone to discuss a request that I have not heard anything about for awhile and during the phone conversation they will mention that 'we have one available right now.' Interesting. Still happy but somewhat puzzled.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We got confirmed for a specific week we needed in July 2007 to tack onto our Maul Whaler week (front or back) --it took two weeks. It wasn't my first desired place (got Mauna Loa), but with having to have a specific week, we grabbed it. SFX has been very good to us -- got Hilton NYC which was a dream come true this Spring. :)

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
dude-luv said:
If you change the request on-line, you will likely lose your place in the queue. The best thing to do is to phone them and have them change it manually. I have done this several times and it seems to work..

Uh oh. I would verify this with SFX. I have called to change a request online before only to find that the request was "reset" to the date I called. You can verify the date of your request by logging into your account online. I was quite disappointed to find this out. I believe there is also a thread on TS4Ms.com in the SFX section about this.

DonM

TUG Member
Reaction score
TravelSFO said:
If you call SFX to make a change to one of your requests, your request is considered a new request and you essentially lose your place in line.

In reality isn't this fair? If I were waiting earlier than you for the same week as your revised search, why should you get priority because you had an earlier request for a different week at the same resort or area?

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
philemer said:
You need to reread all the posts in the above link. Some changes do NOT cause you to lose your place.

My mistake. If you make your change "more restrictive", then it should not be considered a new request. Though, I would make sure that part of it is clear with the SFX rep on the phone.

KarenL

TUG Member
Reaction score
We requested two consecutive weeks within a three week window in July of 2007. We got our two weeks within two days of our request, back in February. We later requested another week at the same resort for our friends to come with us. This request took about from April to August, about 4 months. (Exchange was into Mauna Loa Villages and Holua Resort at Mauna Loa, both on the same property.)
Incidentally, this is type of trade is the primary reason I no longer deposit our Playa Grande (Mexico) winter week with RCI. They give no value to Mexico deposits, while SFX treats Playa Grande winter weeks with the the value they deserve.
Karen