• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SFX’s “Sell-Off” List

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recent experience using (or even viewing) SFX’s “sell-off” list?

How often is it published, and how tough is it to book something listed on it? Also, is it worth upgrading to SFX’s “platinum” status to get “priority access” to it?

Thanks in advance!
-Nodge

lanalee

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no set schedule for the sell-off lists. But I would guess they come out about every 6 weeks or so.

I've booked a couple of weeks from the sell-off list and it was easy to do. As a platinum member, you get to see the list first (via email). When you see something you want, you should book it quickly. One time I was on vacation and didn't see the email note from SFX until a few days after it was sent. When I called to book a week from the list, it was gone.

For me, priority access to the sell-off weeks is a great benefit of platinum membership. But when I consider the other benefits as well, I think upgrading to platinum is well worth it.

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lanalee!

Have you noticed any decrease in the number of units available on the “sell-off” list and/or a decrease in the frequency with which the list is published since SFX started its “3 weeks for 1” promotion earlier this year?

With SFX’s obligation under this promotion to distribute to its clients THREE times more inventory than it takes in from them, I would think the availability of unobligated units for its “sell-off” list would dwindle accordingly.

Thanks again!
-Nodge

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that the cost of the bonus weeks has gone up considerably -- from $299 to $399 and $499. Factor that in with the fact that SFX has partnerships with certain resorts (excess or developer inventory?) even other exchange companies (so not all availability comes from SFX member deposits.)

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that one bonus week is for Mexican resorts only, - essentially a promotional tool for newly built or expanded resorts.
We are going to Mexico in December for two weeks on just such a bonus weeks deal. But how long will this program last ? Who knows !

Kola

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does SFX update the list as weeks are sold? I've wondered because it never seems to change.
I've seen some very tempting weeks on there, but never at a time that would work for me. So I've never attempted to book with SFX, but it seems these weeks are worth the membership with SFX.

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not clear what do you mean by saying "it never seems to change". I have never received an "updated list" but the list certainly changes because some dates are on very short notice and people do buy discounted weeks in quality resorts. Some offers are very attractive if one can travel on short notice. The best thing to do is simply to contact SFX by phone or email regarding specific locations of interest to you.

Kola

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I meant was that they don't seem to delete weeks from the list once they are booked. I've checked the list and then look at it again weeks later and it seems like the weeks are the same. I'm sure some of the good weeks have been booked, but it doesn't look to me like they change the list.

I know you can always call to check on availablity. I've seen some great deals in London that tempted me, but the timing was never right.

lanalee

TUG Member
Reaction score
LAX Mom said:
What I meant was that they don't seem to delete weeks from the list once they are booked. I've checked the list and then look at it again weeks later and it seems like the weeks are the same. I'm sure some of the good weeks have been booked, but it doesn't look to me like they change the list.

I know you can always call to check on availablity. I've seen some great deals in London that tempted me, but the timing was never right.

A list, once it is released, is not updated. So you're right, you can check that same list weeks later and it will not change - even if some of the weeks have been rented. As you said, you have to call SFX to check availability.

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
LAX Mom said:

SFX is about to increase the user functionality of their website. One of the things that is supposed to be introduced is real-time booking/availability of their online system [edited to clarify this is targetted to only apply to "sell-off" inventory]. This will be available for platinum members. You can ask Mark@SFX on the Timeshare Forums website.

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
djyamyam said:
SFX is about to increase the user functionality of their website. One of the things that is supposed to be introduced is real-time booking/availability of their online system. This will be available for platinum members. You can ask Mark@SFX on the Timeshare Forums website.

That will be great if/when it happens.

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
djyamyam said:
SFX is about to increase the user functionality of their website. One of the things that is supposed to be introduced is real-time booking/availability of their online system. This will be available for platinum members. You can ask Mark@SFX on the Timeshare Forums website.

SFX has already made helpful progress in updating their website but real time booking is not part of it. Of course, real time on line exchanges is an entirely different issue than selling off surplus inventory. I am certainly looking forward to the day when all these functions will be possible.

Kola

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did a little digging and was told that there is a past SFX sell-off list floating around dated April 24, 2006 (nearly 5 months ago). It apparently has 37 available units on it with availability dates ranging from May 6, 2006 to July 22, 2006. Size of the available units range from studios to 2 bedrooms, and prices range from $199- $799.

Can anyone confirm this info? If so, can anyone confirm if this is SFX’s most recent sell off list? If so, is it typical for SFX to NOT have a new sell-off list by now? If not, what is/are the date(s) of the more recent list(s) and how many units are available on each list?

Thanks!
-Nodge

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Wackymother!

I'll summarize SFX's most recent sell-off list below:

Dated August 28, 2006 (about 4 months after SFX's apparent next most recent sell-off list was posted in April).

It has 20 available units on it, meaning it has a little more than half the number of listings as the April list.

Available units range in size from studios to 2 bedrooms, with prices ranging from $99-$699, and use dates ranging from 9/2/2006 to 10/28/2006.

Two data points does not a trend make, but this suggests sell-off inventory COULD be falling.

lanalee

TUG Member
Reaction score
nodge said:
Thanks Wackymother!

I'll summarize SFX's most recent sell-off list below:

Dated August 28, 2006 (about 4 months after SFX's apparent next most recent sell-off list was posted in April).

It has 20 available units on it, meaning it has a little more than half the number of listings as the April list.

Available units range in size from studios to 2 bedrooms, with prices ranging from $99-$699, and use dates ranging from 9/2/2006 to 10/28/2006.

Two data points does not a trend make, but this suggests sell-off inventory COULD be falling.

Nodge - April 24th was not the last sell-off list SFX released prior to the most recent. Since April 24th, SFX had a sell-off list dated May 30th, July 20th, August 16th and August 28th.

May 30th
July 19th
Aug 16th

Last edited:

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the data!

Since April 24th, SFX’s sell-off lists have looked like this:

Date of List --- No. of Units Listed --- Range of Available Dates

April 24, 2006 ---- 37 ---- May 6, 2006 to July 22, 2006
May 30, 2006 ---- 15 ---- June 11, 2006 to July 29, 2006
July 19, 2006 ---- 26 ---- August 5, 2006 to October 7, 2006
August 16, 2006 ---- 24 ---- August 18, 2006 to October 28, 2006
August 28, 2006 ---- 20 ---- September 2, 2006 to October 28, 2006

According to this data, SFX publishes its sell-off list on average every 31 days, and each list has an average of about 24 units available on it when it comes out.

No real trends appear to have emerged since the 3 weeks for 1 promotion was initiated earlier this year.

This is exactly the data I was looking for. Thanks!

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Typically SFX has fewer units on the sell-off list in the summer and winter, and more in the spring and fall.
Also the 3 weeks for 1 promotion occurs every year.

Last edited:

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Two data points does not a trend make, but this suggests sell-off inventory COULD be falling"

I suppose it "COULD" but who knows for sure without verifyiable facts how many weeks on the list have been sold and how many expired ? Sell off inventory is naturally different on different dates of any year. Is quantity so much more important than quality ? What about price comparisons ? Perhaps it would be more meaningful to compare year to year lists ( say 2005 vs 2006) but who wants to spend the time to prove or disprove a theory ?

Kola