• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Manhattan Club update

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back from four nights at the Manhattan Club. The biggest change is that Broadband Wireless Internet access is now available throughout the hotel. the bad news was that at least in my room, the access was pretty slow and occasionally unusable. Perhaps it's different in different areas of the hotel.

This is their 10th year and they said the following changes will be completed before the end of 2007:

1. Replacement of all televisions with 32" LCD flat panels
2. Replacement of all mattresses with pillow-top (Heavenly???) types.
3. Replacement of all room carpeting.

It's good to see they are refurbishing the MC. In terms of my previous issues, this time it only took 30 mintues to get our car, a time I consider just within the acceptable limit.

And, sadly, I do find that those people who have a chance of expecting a tip are very friendly and anxious to help, while those who don"t (read front desk) show zero warmth. It would cost nothing to fix the less than ideal attitudes and this is a place where we are not customers but rather, owners. Hard to understand why it's accepted. Had the chance to tour the Phillips Club and I can assure you, attitude is everything!

That said, we had a wonderful time, the unit was more than comfortable, the location is perfect for us (my son said, "what an ideal location - right between Carnegie Hall and Hooters!) and the price was right. Definitely no buyers' remorse here.

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
Regardless of the negatives posted here regarding the issues you mention the MC is still a wonderful place in a wonderful location. I wondered if you got to check out the Affinia while you were there?

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't get the chance to check out the Affinia. I'm so happy with the location of the Manhattan Club and I love the extra bathroom. While it seems the Affinia could be a steal, paying much less than $20K for the week seemed more than fair to me. I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with another week at some point.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the Manhattan Club now. There is indeed highspeed Internet access in our room (cat-5 cable) and wireless -- although, I have yet to access the wireless as it requires a call to the front desk and, apparently, only the hotel manager knows the code AND he's always gone when I call so I have to continue calling back until I get him -- I have requested that he call me back with the code (twice) but that hasn't happened yet even though I was told he (or she) would. I don't know why it needs to be so difficult. Very frustrating and reflects very poorly on service, IMO. At least I can work with the cat5 connection.

New in the room now is a Philips flatscreen and new carpeting. Gone is the huge armoire where the old (13"?) tv sat and where we used to use to store our clothes. I think they may have reconfigured the closets to add shelving -- this is where we store our clothes.

Can anyone tell us what the "welcome gift" is? We've never gone down to retrieve it with the many times we've stayed at MC.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've decided to persist in getting a hold of the hotel manager for the wireless access code. I've been holding for over 20 minutes as of right now.

Update: The manager finally took my call after I had been holding 25+ minutes.

I'm not sure why The Manhattan Club doesn't give the front desk employees the access code OR, do like all the other hotels/resorts and provide the access code when the visitor checks in.

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I've decided to persist in getting a hold of the hotel manager for the wireless access code. I've been holding for over 20 minutes as of right now.

Update: The manager finally took my call after I had been holding 25+ minutes.

I'm not sure why The Manhattan Club doesn't give the front desk employees the access code OR, do like all the other hotels/resorts and provide the access code when the visitor checks in.

I was there 3/16-23....the first code I was given didn't work - the front desk staff gave me 7 codes before one worked and then on 3/17 it said it expired....got a hit after 2 codes this time and it worked all week.

The room I was in - 1812 1BR 4/4 - wasn't refurbished but was still nice = very little wear and tear noticed.

anngem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Affinia?

Is this another timeshare in NYC? RCI or II? Where do I find out about it??

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just at MC the week before last. No trouble getting the code for the wireless internet, but it only worked about one time in ten.

Anyway, I can't think of a better location for a tourist in New York. Lincoln Center, the Theatre District, Fifth Avenue, etc., etc. all within walking distance.

If you need an extra day or two (we did because our flight out was cancelled due to snow), a decent room at the Park Central Hotel around the corner on Seventh Avenue at 56th Street is $300/night (room + all taxes).

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Anngem,

You can get the Affinia Dumont or the Affinia Manhattan through the Royal Holiday Club.

Richard

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
How were the window coverings? Our second trip there last February -- both ours and when we looked out our non-view window to other units -- they hung crooked and some were broken.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
The window coverings are the same old ones they've always had. Ours seem crooked and falling apart -- I guess they were just not on the list of things to refurbish/replace.

Wireless access has been pretty spotty (slow and drops frequently) and I'm sitting still. Best bet is to use the Cat5 connection in the room

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
TFSO,

Is the wireless access any better up in the lounge (I think it's up on the 24th or 26th floor)

Richard

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very upsetting - considering I started this thread!

Bugs with a new internet system are understandable. Not acceptable mind you, but understandable. But the execution is ridiculous - to have to go through all types of hoops to get an access number is simply poor management and is inexcusable.

These are the little things that bring this place down. As I said, I love it and always look forward to returning. Refurbishment is expensive - changing the mindset is free.

I hope they get their act together.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
TFSO,

Is the wireless access any better up in the lounge (I think it's up on the 24th or 26th floor)

Richard

We're on the 22nd floor with what I'd consider ok to poor wireless access. I would think the MC would be aware of this situation and done something about it by now if they were ever going to. I think they would need an access point on each floor (or every other floor) in order to give everyone the same level of service -- and that is not hard to do.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
TravelSFO, we're at MC right now too - the network cable works better than the wireless, and as mentioned, not always. We have the old carpet (it's fine), the old little TV's, and a raggedy falling-apart window covers, but I managed to get one of them put back together so I could open it, for a very decent view of Central Park. I called the night b4 check-in to ask about a view, and we got this one.

If you want to look at Central Park from your 1-BR, ask for __18.

SteveH

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're going to be at the MC in a few weeks. Is the wireless and/or ethernet connection in each room free or is there a charge per night or per week for access?
Thanks
Steve

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're going to be at the MC in a few weeks. Is the wireless and/or ethernet connection in each room free or is there a charge per night or per week for access?
Thanks
Steve

There is no extra charge, other than the "hospitality fee" charged to exchangers. I guess the MC decided to finally offer something for the fee, not that it makes up for the $25/day in a 1 bedroom, but it comes close to covering the studio if you have a laptop with you.

btw, the fees are going up in 2008, I heard $29/day for the 1 bedrooms

wauhob3

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
They still have the computers available in the computer lab with printers so that was nice for restaurant.com certificates. We used Seppis, a french restaurant and Ciro, an Italian restaurant both within walking distance. I noticed with the hospitality fee they also added a fee for additional daily coffee of $1.50 if you wanted additional coffee then the starter pack. We had a great time. We were in room 1615 and it did have a city view which consisted mostly of the office building across the street and part of the Carneige Hall.

SteveH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell us what the "welcome gift" is? We've never gone down to retrieve it with the many times we've stayed at MC.[/QUOTE said:
We arrived at the MC yesterday and after checking in we stopped by the 'gifting desk' and received a cheesy folder with two fridge magnets and a NYC map. If I've got your attention, we also got two MC pens (not Mt Blanc) and quelle surprise, an invitation to a tour! So next time you wonder about the gifts - don't.
Steve