• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best walking travel shoes

lauran24

Reaction score
Since I don't want to stick out toooooo much as a tourist in Paris with my white tennis shoes, yet I'll be doing a lot of walking, what's the best type of shoe you have found that's comfortable, but more stylish for women?

RumpleMom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about European travel, but I like Ecco and Clarks sandals.

Maybe sneakers in black or beige? just a thought...

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I bought these shoes for a trip to Cancun. They were great for walking and I could just hose them down to clean them. They are more comfortable wearing socks with them in the summer time.

I like the toe protection on the front, and they are very easy to adjust the width.

patty5ia

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
mephisto!

Mephisto makes great walking shoes and sandals. Expensive, but worth it if you want to be comfortable.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I wear black walking shoes to work and have always been a big fan of Rockports. I found a pair of solid black New Balance on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods last fall and like them even better.

Sheila

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like Propet http://www.shoebuy.com/propet-shoes.htm They call themselves "The Walking Shoe Company with the 1000 mile guarantee". I own the "Island Walkers" and the "Breeze Walkers" and have been very happy with both. :D
Propet should have an accent mark over the e. I know there's a way to make my keyboard do that, but I've forgotten how.

Whatever you buy, if you don't have time to wear them a lot before your trip, take along some Moleskin to prevent rubbings from becoming blisters.

Last edited:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have two recommendations. This Propét, is called the Pedic-Walker. It is the marriage of a sandal and an athletic shoe. The bottom is definitely athletic shoe, so it is comfortable to walk on. The top is a Velcro sandal, with removable insole which you can replace with orthotics if you have them. They are like walking on air.

If you want something in a closed shoe, I'd recommend This New Balance. The 811 is a black, lace up walking shoe which is favored by many uniformed personnel. It also comes in a Velcro version, which is the one I own (same number but with a letter suffix indicating Velcro).

Either of these shoes would blend right in.

Fern

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Echo's are the only walking shoes I like. Have traveled in Europe extensively and wouldn't go without them!

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No matter what shoes you wear - you'll still look like an American. The European women all wear heels - even for walking! And the men were pretty much in leather.

After 3 days walking in Tuscany, I finally gave up and put my sneakers back on.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think this might be Ecco, which is a popular higher-end brand. Born is another one that is good for walking, as well as the above mentioned Dansko and Propét.

Fern

Echo's are the only walking shoes I like. Have traveled in Europe extensively and wouldn't go without them!

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Same dilemma

and my choices for Paris are Skechers black mesh mary janes with cross strap and black easy spirit sandals with a slight heel. I am a big Born fan, but haven't found any with the right touch of dressiness. For Austria & Switzerland I have tan Propet stabilizing walking shoes. I am thinking about adding a tan/beige shoe that could be used for walking in Paris (and Rome) since my base colors are black & tan.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
TravelSFO:
Too bad they didn't have the Privo in my size. I'll keep searching the other suggestions.
Thanks.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Born has some dressy Mary Janes in black and tan you might be interested in. You can see them here.

Fern

and my choices for Paris are Skechers black mesh mary janes with cross strap and black easy spirit sandals with a slight heel. I am a big Born fan, but haven't found any with the right touch of dressiness. For Austria & Switzerland I have tan Propet stabilizing walking shoes. I am thinking about adding a tan/beige shoe that could be used for walking in Paris (and Rome) since my base colors are black & tan.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been wanting a sandal, but I have partial orthotetics,so i need to be able to put the orthotic under the removable insole and put the insole back in. Does that Propet sandal accomodate that? Or do you just have to substitute the orthotectic for the sole?
Thanks,
Liz

happybaby

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like my sketcher sandals. Wore them all the times to WDW all day. So comfy and soft. Found them at Kohl's.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I guess I just don't get the whole "what I look like" worry that many have. If sneakers are my most comfy shoe for the type of activities I'm doing, then that is what matters to me the most.

We were in the UK back in November and all three of us (DH, MIL and me) all wore what was comfortable for the day's activities and nobody made us feel stupid or bad for wearing sneakers on the days that we did.

labguides

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in Privo sandals - style Joyner. I find they are just as good for walking as my Ecco's.
I have not tried them, but what about the shoes at Foot Solutions?

SteveL

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's worth checking out the Earth Lazer-K shoes at www.earthvegan.us Some may not like the negative heel, but they are light as a feather, comfortable and supportive, and pack into almost no space (or around whatever else is there). Steve

laxmom

Reaction score
I like my Chaco sandals because you can adjust the strap for a perfect fit. I also recently bought my first pair of Birkenstock and love them. Since they are made in Germany you might not be out of place with them. Just a thought.

SallyMagoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kalso Earth shoes have been the most comfortable for walking for me. I have a very bad bunion and it is hard to find shoes that fit. I like the sandal styles the best.

Check out PlanetShoes.com; Zappos.com or ebay. Clarks tend to be comfortable for me too.