• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SFX what can I get?

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My experience has been similar to Chellej. Deposited my July week more than a year ago, had several ongoing requests covering NC, SC, Tn, Bahamas, Aruba, etc. with nothing so far. To improve my chances I always give them a time frame anywhere from four to ten weeks, but that does not seem to help. I find that Mexico is where they tend to have good supply. Even there their main supply source appears to be the newly developed Mayan Resorts in various locations and not the long established resorts such as the Cancun Royals. Their new and frequently updated list of "specials" offers some interesting resorts, at a price of course, but only if you are willing to travel at relatively short notice.

Kola

I had no problem getting a week at the Royal Mayan - Cancun through SFX. I only did the Royals once as I far prefer the Grand Mayan resorts to the Royals.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There are more restrictions when using independents over the oligopoly exchange companies.

What restrictions are you referring to? I have been using SFX exclusively for 10+ years. Prior to that, I used both RCI and II. The only restriction that SFX has is what they will accept for deposit. Other than that, SFX has far fewer restrictions than RCI and II. A lot of my exchanges would have been impossible with RCI because of their 1 in 4 restrictions.

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had no problem getting a week at the Royal Mayan - Cancun through SFX. I only did the Royals once as I far prefer the Grand Mayan resorts to the Royals.

In two seasons we spent five weeks at the Mayan reports between Riviera Maya and Nuevo Vallarta, all via SFX. No problem getting those resorts through SFX either as an exchange or as a bonus week. We never asked for any winter holiday weeks or for the popular March vacation period. My problem with SFX is with destinations other than Mexico, incl. the Atlantic coast, Hawaii, the Caribbean islands, even Maine. We got nothing so far even though I always give them at least a four weeks time frame, in some cases up to eight weeks. Having deposited a July week I certainly don't want an October or November week in return. Since SFX is so selective in terms of weeks (seasons) they will accept, I have every right to expect a prime week for my prime week deposit. I want SFX to play by their own rules.

Kola

lawren2

Reaction score
What restrictions are you referring to? I have been using SFX exclusively for 10+ years. Prior to that, I used both RCI and II. The only restriction that SFX has is what they will accept for deposit. Other than that, SFX has far fewer restrictions than RCI and II. A lot of my exchanges would have been impossible with RCI because of their 1 in 4 restrictions.

John the restrictions are based on my observations of exchange availability.

If you want the northeast/southeast coastal resorts in high season they get very few. There is also a lack of caribbean availability.

I can't speak for SFX, as there availability is not on-line at all, but given the non Gold Crown, non 5 star resorts in the eastern US I would have to extrapolate that there aren't many...

Lucky people that live on the westcoast for the plethora of choices that they have via independents for Hawaii, Mexico and California. :whoopie:

Those of us that live on the righthand side of the US can use them as well we just have to "restrict" where we would like to exchange to the more likely places of getting a match. Much less likely to be disappointed. ;)

pt181

TUG Member
Reaction score
They wouldn't give me inventory over the phone

I've been using SFX for a few years and have had some good trades but I hate their wait-and-see model. I deposit a 5-star 1-BR Oregon coast summer week more than 1 year ahead and joined SFX as a Platinum member - I thought it would increase my odds of getting good trades but I don't know if it helps. SFX has never called me with a close match - it's always exact area and within date range or no call at all.

So far I have received Carlsbad Inn (bonus $199) for Apr 2006, Polo Towers (bonus $299) for Feb 2007 and the new Wyndham at Waikiki Beach Walk for this Nov. These are good trades, it's just frustrating when you don't hear anything for months. I like to plan way ahead and try to coordinate timeshare with frequent flier miles so need confirmations 11 months ahead in order to schedule flights as they are really hard to get. The only confirmation I've received that far ahead is for Waikiki.

I have 8 open requests in now for various times in 2008, some since Jan but have heard nothing so I took your advice and called them today. I was told that it is too early to check inventory for 2008 - it won't come in until summer . ...huh? I can't believe they don't have any inventory right now.

Guess I'll have to still wait-and-see. -Heidi

Last edited:

3Js

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't had any response from SFX yet. Deposited my Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge and have been trying to find something and searching a year in advance but no luck. I see several availability on the same places and time that I am looking for in II though.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
John the restrictions are based on my observations of exchange availability.

If you want the northeast/southeast coastal resorts in high season they get very few. There is also a lack of caribbean availability.

I can't speak for SF, as there availability is not on-line at all, but given the non Gold Crown, non 5 star resorts in the eastern US I would have to extrapolate that there aren't many...

Lucky people that live on the west coast for the plethora of choices that they have via independents for Hawaii, Mexico and California. :whoopie:

Those of us that live on the righthand side of the US can use them as well we just have to "restrict" where we would like to exchange to the more likely places of getting a match. Much less likely to be disappointed. ;)

You could be right as I have very little interest in exchanging to resorts outside of California, Nevada, Arizona, Hawaii, and Mexico. I have received exchanges to all of these states. I have also received exchanges for Branson MO, Manhattan Club in NYC, and the Marriott at the beach in Fort Lauderdale. These 3 are hardly on the West coast.

dude-luv

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Less Enthusiastic about SFX

Have enjoyed many successful exchanges with SFX in the past few years. Lately, however, the well has dried up. I have several requests using deposits from SF and Hawaii that appear to be going nowhere. All of a sudden I can't get anyone to answer the phone when I wish to ask a few questions. I wonder if SFX is having problems getting deposits as they are now offering to extend all deposits for an extra year just to receive a 2008 week. I believe they are going the route of the big exchange companies and renting out inventory because it is more lucrative. I am considering alternative exchange companies and may deposit only one 2008 week to extend my current weeks which I think will expire.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been a member for a few years now and the bonus weeks offer has always included extending the expiry dates of current deposits by one year.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm also a bit disappointed with SFX. When I recently called to try and speak to someone about near-term availability, I was sent through the phone tree several times, got someone to answer who then transfered me to someone's voicemail -- I left a vm and never received a call back.

I think it's a bit rude to say the least ... and an indicator of how important I am to SFX as a customer.

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what I find this am on SFX website:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e31'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

/members/member_Requests.asp

What's going on ?

K.

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kola
I got in just fine. Checked the sell-off list. Doesn't look like anything new has been added although it says it was updated on 6/8.

I've got several requests in for fairly easy western locations but haven't heard from them in a very long time. I did use some bonus Mexico weeks for the Mayan Palaces but I'm not interested in returning so my bonus weeks that are left will expire unused if something in California doesn't show up by the end of the year.

Update: I get the error message, too, when I tried to check my requests. Mark over at the TS4Ms SFX forum is aware of the problem.

Last edited:

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ask if you can use your unused Mexico bonus week for another location.
Liz

I tried that last year when my Mexican bonus week was about to expire. No deal ! I lost it.

BTW, I can read the sell-off list on SFX website but cannot see my deposits or requests. I have about six requested destinations but no call from SFX.

Kola