• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Whistling - is it rude?

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else here think that it is rude to whistle to get someone's attention?

DH has done it to me a few times (e.g. at the grocery store) and I promptly told him I am not a dog and do not appreciate being called with a whistle. For future whistling, I would ignore him.

He also does it at gas stations to get the attention of the attendent. I prefer, "Excuse me, Sir (or Ma'am)."

Rude or not? Maybe it is just me?

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you Google whistle or whistling along with attention and rude, you'll find more than enough support for your position.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like it is not just me... however, I am seeing (from my brief search) that it is not considered rude by some.

DH is from the East Coast -- maybe it is an East Coast thing? I'm all Californian.

Reaction score
It is most assuredly not an "east coast thing." If my husband ever did that to me, I would give him THE LOOK, turn around and walk away.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Pretty rude. But, probably no more rude than the person that's on their cellphone every minute of the day, regardless of where they are at!!!

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is most assuredly not an "east coast thing." If my husband ever did that to me, I would give him THE LOOK, turn around and walk away.

You must be Italian. I learned that since I was young growing up in New York. It is called " If Looks Could Kill you Would Be Dead."

BSQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
a southern californian checking in. Flat. Out. Rude. to me.

course I thought saying "Hey" to people was rude until I moved to the south.

DougH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have four children, and my wife and I have developed a certain whistling sound that we use when we are all in a large public place (like a store). When the kids hear it, they know it's time to come back to us and time to leave.

It's a lot easier than shouting out their 4 names and bothering everybody. It's not a loud rude whistle, but has a very distinctive sound.

Heck my wife even uses it to find me if we've separated and I'm in the sporting goods department. I don't find it rude at all.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's rude! I agree its how you would treat a dog, not a person.

Deb in Chicago

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have four children, and my wife and I have developed a certain whistling sound that we use when we are all in a large public place (like a store). When the kids hear it, they know it's time to come back to us and time to leave.

It's a lot easier than shouting out their 4 names and bothering everybody. It's not a loud rude whistle, but has a very distinctive sound.

Heck my wife even uses it to find me if we've separated and I'm in the sporting goods department. I don't find it rude at all.

You make a good point. It is not rude if everyone has agreed upon it in advance and it serves a good purpose. It is rude, however, if the one being whistled at objects. My DH has a habit of patting me on the head. It drives me nuts. I tell him I am not a dog--don't pat me on the head.

As for "the look," I am not Italian, either, yet I am well-practiced. I call it "the mom."

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
What he said . . . .

I also whistle to family or friends when I need to get their attention across a distance. I would never shout out their name.

Charles

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can understand whistling to get the attention of a passing taxicab in a city. No other polite usage.

"Malocchio" is the word in Italian for the 'Evil Eye" which is "The Look". True malocchio is usually done by a demonic old witch and will impart a curse on the victim as per ancient beliefs and superstitions.

Not a good origin for "The Look" but "The Look" is not that great either when on the receiving end :D

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
My dh started using a certain whistle when our sons were young and we went camping. They know his whistle and knew to return to the campsite. He now uses the whistle for our Grands and it still works well.

I can't whistle so I have to holler names.:D

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I would never whistle as a standard approach BUT there are times it serves well. We are often in large crowds - Universal, Indy 500, Buffalo Bills football games, outdoor concerts etc - I have a VERY loud whistle (natural) that I use to get attention in that situation my grandfather taught me. Yelling, waving and even trying to push through the crowd often fails and then you've lost the person/people you ae trying to get the attention of. With that whistle my family has easily spotted me in big crowds or even from field level when I was in the upper deck! It has saved us a number of times & I don't hesitate to use it in those instances.

I also use it to signify happiness with a football play. It is especially gratifying if a fan of the opposing team happens to sit nearby as it is truly ear piercing and they get the message that our team has performed especially well when I use it. The dirty looks and ear covering is a very guilty pleasure in those cases. Also handy for rock concerts, stage performances where noise is acceptable to show appreciation and more. I have heard myself on live recordings that we have attended more than once thanks to that whistle.

I hope I'm not rude with it (football games excepted of course).

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Down south we consider it rude, but then again we catagorize things differently than those north of Virginia and those west of El Paso.

Only kidding - don't start sending hate mail. :ignore:

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Malocchio" is the word in Italian for the 'Evil Eye" which is "The Look". True malocchio is usually done by a demonic old witch and will impart a curse on the victim as per ancient beliefs and superstitions.

Not a good origin for "The Look" but "The Look" is not that great either when on the receiving end :D

That's the one! I can shrivel you from a distance of 20 feet. I've sometimes used it in aikido practice. Sometimes I can stop uke from attacking just by giving him "the look." Very satisfying. :D

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Whistling In The Wind. (Alternate Title = Rude, Shmood.)

There's whistling, & then there's whistling -- different styles, different methods, different forms of sound-production.

There's musical whistling, & then there's attention-getting signal-style whistling.

Musical whistling is basically just puckering up & blowing -- forming a smallish sound-hole with the lips, varying the pitch by changing size of the oral cavity, & whistling a happy tune. Some folks get semi-good at it, adding trills & warbles & I don't know what-all -- even keeping the sound going on breath-intake (reverse-whistling?) as a way of keeping the musical phrases going. Dynamic levels range from pianissimo to mezzo-forte, seldom any louder than that.

Then there's the other, super-loud fortissimo kind that's sometimes called whistling through the teeth. No puckering up is involved, rather a pulling back of the lips & forming some kind of sound-hole right below the upper teeth. Sometimes fingers are placed near the corners of the mouth to help tighten up the lips & form just the right aperture for a good, loud, piercing & super attention-getting whistle -- ideal for cheering sports teams, hailing cabs, getting pretty girls to turn their heads, & all sorts of practical purposes like that.

Not everybody can whistle through the teeth that way, even folks who have some reasonable ability at the other (semi-musical) kind of pucker-up whistling.

It's a gift.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
My father had a distinctive whistle that he would use to get our attention in crowded locations. I by no means considered him rude. However, I do consider someone who constantly does something to someone who has specifically asked them to stop as rude.

It will be 6 years since my father passed away on Thanksgiving Day. Even now when I hear that distinctive whistle in a store or anywhere, I have a hard time not balling my eyes out.

Lisa

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Depends on the reason

I am a New England girl and I consider it rude in some instances but not all. Dh drives me crazy when whistles loudly for sports games etc. Just earsplitting and very annoying to me.

However for those that have a family signal to find each other I would not view that as rude.

Hey in the south is Hi/Hello up North. My son dated a girl from Georgia in college who introduced me to the southern Hey.

DH does not like to be summoned with "Hey" his response was always-Hey is for horses.

My mother always said it's rude for girl's to whistle which was odd since she wasn't the prim & proper mother type but I guess it stuck with me. Her mom probably said it to her.