• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does RCI/II cancel membership after you sell your week?

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question, but please help - I know you need to own an affiliated resort week to join RCI. What about after you sell that week. Can you keep & renew your RCI membership when you no longer own an affiliated week?

What are the official rules for II? I noticed that the weeks I have sold thus far still show up under Exchange.

If I could rightfully keep & renew my memberships, I am toying with the idea of selling all my remaining ownerships and just renting getaways, as needed. For the way I travel and given what I own right now, this seems to be a much cheaper route for me.

If not, I am going to keep just one week, the week at my favorite home resort, but it is only affiliated with II and my MF are typically higher than I can rent it for. Alternatively, I guess I can sell everything I own and pick a cheap dual affiliated resort, but I prefer not to.

------------------

ps - Yes, that is correct, L2trade (love to trade) is cashing in most (maybe all) his chips. Due to always rising fees where I own, my cost per trade given my desired travel locations in the foreseeable future has reached a point where I feel renting is now the best option for me. If I consider lost equity from the resorts I've already sold (all of which I thought I had bought cheap on ebay years ago, but I have now sold for about half what I paid)... well then, my historical trades were good deals, but not quite the screaming deals I once thought they were.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Yep you can keep your account - there is no way for them to know whether you sold it or not as all they know is that you did not deposit this year.

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep you can keep your account - there is no way for them to know whether you sold it or not as all they know is that you did not deposit this year.

What are the official rules? Can they freeze or cancel my membership if they find out, similar to what they do when they catch people renting II trades on ebay? For example, I think it would not be too hard for II to audit against a major brand like Starwood to find former owners, given they already have other data sharing systems and processes in place. It would not be fun to find my account frozen one day. Then again, I don't want to tip my hat for them to remove a bunch of already sold weeks by calling them up and asking all these questions.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
They don't really care if you still own one - if you pay their annual fee why would they want to cancel your account ?

Just leave the ones you sold in your account and keep doing what you are now

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I do remember reading where saintsfanfl indicate that one resort he sold was removed from his II account. So it depends on the resort. Some do notify II when you sell and some don't. I think there are more that don't though. Even if the unit was removed, it looks like you could keep renewing your membership for getaways. You just can't access the My Units section.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received a notice last Friday from RCI wanting me to renew my membership notwithstanding that I got rid of my last Week about 2 years ago.

George

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
They don't know whether you're using your weeks yourself or have sold them, unless the resort tells them.

I still get a notice to deposit my South African week that was used to open my RCI account. I haven't owned that unit in years. They have no clue what I've done with it.

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update - My sold weeks no longer appear under my II account. I logged in today and the only thing I see under exchanges and my memberships is the one week I still own... all the old weeks that were still appearing as of yesterday are suddenly all gone.

I may sell this last week and replace it with a cheap trader. I welcome recommendations, advice and will keep secret the recommendation of any great, cheap traders sent to me by private message. I am avoiding owning anything westgate or starwood. I am studying up on WM, I am a total newbie about how WM works.