• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newport Coast Villas 2014 MF Discussion

benyu2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not think we should include Property Tax when calculating the maintenance fee increase because:

1. Property Tax varies based on individual owner's purchase price.
2. Property Tax increases are limited by Prop 13.

Moderator Note: I'm leaving this post [in 2014 MF sticky thread] because it's a good explanation of why/how the different Property Taxes (for same-week Owners at certain resorts) affects the percentage amount of MF increases. Further discussion about this issue should be taken to the discussion forums. Thank you. <-- SueDonJ

For Newport Coast, I have tax bills ranged from $150 to $200 per week.

Last edited by a moderator:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would agree. The only amounts that should be included in the MF sticky are the fees billed by Marriott. The totals should not include amounts billed seperately, such as taxes in California.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think its misleading not to include the tax. All of the resorts have property taxes and those are included in their MFs so why not include Newport Coast entire MF costs. I don't think its a big deal that there is a little variance because of NCV property taxes come in slightly different for each deed.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think its misleading not to include the tax. All of the resorts have property taxes and those are included in their MFs so why not include Newport Coast entire MF costs. I don't think its a big deal that there is a little variance because of NCV property taxes come in slightly different for each deed.

The problem is that everyone has a different tax amount. It can be confusing to see one amount and sommeone else is billed something different. The only costant is what MVCI bills the owner. While it is important to note that taxes are billed seperatly, remember that we are tracking historical MFs billed by Marriott. The valuation of the deeded week can vary greatly depending on how much one one paid for the week and Marriott has no control over that.

The taxes for California properties are billed by the county and not necessarily at the same time of the year as Marriott's MFs.

Another problem is that some people will include the tax amount and others won't. With all the different properties in CA, it could get confusing.

Guess we really need Sue's opinion on this.

Last edited:

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tend to think we should keep the property tax in the total cost. Are there any resorts that are in municipalities that charge different rates for tax besides the ones in CA? In Florida and St Thomas they are the same regardless of purchase price.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I tend to think we should keep the property tax in the total cost. Are there any resorts that are in municipalities that charge different rates for tax besides the ones in CA? In Florida and St Thomas they are the same regardless of purchase price.

The difference in Florida is that the taxes are billed with the maintenance fees by MVCI, not separately by the county. Also in Florida, the tax line item on the MF bill is different depending on the season that you own.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
The difference in Florida is that the taxes are billed with the maintenance fees by MVCI, not separately by the county. Also in Florida, the tax line item on the MF bill is different depending on the season that you own.

I understand different seasons at the same resort have different taxes. What I'm asking is if the seven resorts in CA are the only ones that charge different tax rates for the same season based on purchase price? If that's the case then it would be easier for the tuggers who own at the other 47 resorts to keep including the taxes in the total rather than the other way around. The folks in CA can add them into their total MF.

Cost of annual ownership is a total number. It should include the taxes and the special assessments even though those figures may vary.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Hmmmm. IMO property taxes are a significant component of MF's but the object of the sticky thread is simplicity. ;)

How about, the first post in the sticky thread for each Florida resort will include the line, "Property taxes in Florida are included in the MF bills and will vary according to the Resort Calendar seasons;" and, the first for each California resort will include the line, "Property taxes are billed separately by the CA counties and will vary among owners based on purchase date/price."

If there are no objections I'll go in and edit the relevant posts later this evening.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Hmmmm. IMO property taxes are a significant component of MF's but the object of the sticky thread is simplicity. ;)

How about, the first post in the sticky thread for each Florida resort will include the line, "Property taxes in Florida are included in the MF bills and will vary according to the Resort Calendar seasons;" and, the first for each California resort will include the line, "Property taxes are billed separately by the CA counties and will vary among owners based on purchase date/price."

If there are no objections I'll go in and edit the relevant posts later this evening.

No objections here. Though I really think that the tax amount for CA properties should only be provided as anecdotal information and not included in the total. Only what is billed by Marriott should be provided by in the total MFs. People can choose to or not choose to include the CA property tax for information purposes. So much simpler to just see what MVCI is billing people. We also don't want 20 different people posting 20 different totals because their tax rates are different

As for Florida. When people post their MFs, they need to indicate the season they own. Like "Grande Vista 2BR Gold" or "Grande Vista 2BR Platinum".

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
I don't see any reason for doing any changes to the MF thread. It is clear that taxes are billed separately in CA and that the Tax should be close to each other but not the same.

Seem to me we are being a little too picky about this.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
FYI, Property Tax-related notes have been added to the first/compilation post in the MF sticky thread (instead of adding them to certain posts therein.)

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI, Property Tax-related notes have been added to the first/compilation post in the MF sticky thread (instead of adding them to certain posts therein.)

Thank you Susan! :)

California with Prop 13 is an interesting state for property taxes. Long time homeowners typically pay a fraction of what a new neighbor next door pays. I guess, with timeshares, it turns out the opposite may be true. For example, if you can buy your timeshare for pennies on the dollar versus what you paid years back, it may make sense to do just that and sell the other. Difference in retail versus resale timeshares could be hundreds per year.