• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any Other British Telly Fans?

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this for awhile, then the British humour post motivated me to post.

Ever since I "discovered" Downton Abbey (thanks to TUG), I have searched my Netflix and Amazon Prime for more British Telly (television).

I guess my affection grew out of my love for Coronation Street throughout the 1980's when I lived in Canada.

I have always liked shows like Are You Being Served, Keeping Up Appearances etc. Though, not so much Fawlty Towers or Absolutely Fabulous.

The new ones (new to me) that I found on Netflix or Amazon Prime are Foyles War, Island at War, Kingdom and just recently Doc Martin.

Any other British TV show fans, like me?

Do you have any suggestions?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Doctor Who -- pick it up from the Eccleston era onward. There isn't a more British show than Doctor Who.
Red Dwarf -- must start from Season 1, Episode 1. That show is called "The End." If after watching "The End" you're not asking yourself "Why hasn't anyone told me about this before?!?!?!!?" Then you can completely ignore this list. You won't like anything on it.
Danger UXB -- available on DVD. My favorite WWII show of all time. The grueling day-to-day slog of a British bomb squad.
Dick Turpin -- Basically the 18th century English forerunner to "Dukes of Hazzard."

kwilson

TUG Member
Reaction score
i find them very frustrating. Can't understand 90% of what they are saying. My DW, on the other hand, can't get enough of them.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not into sci-fi, so Dr Who & Red Dwarf no interest, but Danger UXB & Dick Turpin + William & Mary, I'll have to see if they are on Netflix or Amazon Prime. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jonathan Creek, Sherlock

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Birdsong

All shows on Masterpiece Classic or Masterpiece Mystery are wonderful!!!

Last night we watched (the previously recorded from MC) "Birdsong", a two-part movie set in WWI Europe, based on a 1993 novel by Sebastian Faulks. It's about a young British officer who fell in love with a (married) French girl. The story is just as spell-binding as Downton Abbey, and probably a bit more dramatic. I couldn't get it out of my mind.

My wife and I both got up this morning saying we dreamed about the movie----it had that much impact. That's never happened before. Different dreams, but.......(alas, mine was about the French girl Isabelle). And even at work, I found myself thinking about it all day long. (I've been doing a Google Search for Isabelle, but I can't find her anywhere!!!!!!)

Look it up........I think you'll love it.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Waiting for God is our favorite, but also liked To The Manor Born, and As Time Goes By.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots of 70's and 80's shows.

Of the ones suggested I have like most of them.

Doc Martin, William and Mary and Foyles War more so lately.

One that continued a good part of the 2000's but has ended, but is available on Netflix is Wire in the Blood. A cop show featuring a Psychologist who tracks down serial killers.

American TV knocks off a lot of British shows but I haven't seen a knock off yet and the original is very good.

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren, Wire in the Blood is good, Inspector Morse, Midsomer Murders, Trial and Retribution, Rebus, and I will add more later.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ballykissangel (6 seasons)
Lark Rise to Candleford (4 seasons)

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, I love them too, and especially like the afternoon shows when I am home. The British programs are so different. It's hard to put my finger on it, but they are more talking than action. Always slower paced. Can anyone else evaluate them better for me?

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
When our kids were young, we would watch Dr. Who with them. They loved it Waiting for God and Keeping Up Appearances is good too. There used to be a show called On the Buses.

Dori

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
This is a list of the different series that we have purchased from England to watch over and over again. Had to buy an all region DVD player to watch them.

Red Dwarf
Open all hours
'Allo, 'Allo
Porridge
Going Straight
Last of the Summer Wine (those that have been put on sale)
Danger UXB
Faulty Towers
Are you being served (some episodes)
Duchess of Duke Street

When I can't understand the words, I put on the closed captioning.

It's funny, we don't watch much TV, don't have cable or dish or anything like that, but we love the British Comedies.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Waiting for God is our favorite, but also liked To The Manor Born, and As Time Goes By.

Yes those are good, those are usually shown on one of our PBS stations Saturday night. And yes I am a fan of Hyacinth Bouquet and her bil Onslow. :D

Anything from Masterpiece Theater. I like the historical stuff.

Elizabeth R, with Glenda Jackson
Edward VII
Six Wives of Henry VIII
Duchess of Duke Street
Upstairs, Downstairs(original)
Brideshead Revisited(original)
Love in a Cold Climate(the one from the 80's) love the Mitford girls
Danger UXB
Disraeli(Ian McShane plays title role)
Persuasion(mid 90's version, was shown here on MT)

Back in the mid 90's A&E did a lot of joint productions with ITV.

Ivanhoe
Horatio Hornblower(sigh Ioan Gruffudd in the title role:rolleyes: ). Yes my husband looked forward to it also.

Based on CS Forester's novels about main character who was a British naval officier during French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I forgot to mention Supernova. It's hilarious! :hysterical:

rod

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let us not forget Monty Python's Flying Circus. Other favorite comedies were Are You being Served? and The Benny Hill Show.

Doctor Who - I have been watching this series through several doctors. For those not aware of this show, it began in the 1960's and the actor presently playing the good doctor is the 11th to play the part.

Masterpiece Theater - I, Claudius and Danger UXB got me started here. I like about half of these shows, but I have to constantly keep checking to see which shows I want to see.

Mystery - Poirot and Inspector Morse got me started here, and now Inspector Lewis is maintaining my interest.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a list of the different series that we have purchased from England to watch over and over again. Had to buy an all region DVD player to watch them.
.....It's funny, we don't watch much TV, don't have cable or dish or anything like that, ...
We are in the same boat. My wife and I don't watch much TV. Instead of spending money monthly for cable or a dish, we prefer ordering DVD's directly from Amazon.uk. Much better TV and given how much we watch (or don't watch), we come out money ahead. As you note, in order to do this, you have to have an all region DVD player. (They really aren't that expensive.)

However, the main reason for this post is that is to make a suggestion for those who are trying sort through all of the suggestions in this thread. I recommend going to the Amazon.uk site. Since these are British television shows, the reviews that you find there are much more extensive than what you find over here.

I might add that often I find that DVD's (for both tv shows and movies) are much cheaper from Amazon.uk (even after you add in postage - although it helps to bundle an order together) than from either Amazon or B&N over here. You log in with the same user name and password as if you were logging into the US site. Remember, however, to play anything ordered from the uk site, you will need an all region DVD player. (Blu-Rays, when available, are often - not always - coded for both sides of the Atlantic.)

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
See how many people recommend Red Dwarf and Doctor Who anyway? It should really tell you something about how good these two shows are.

Red Dwarf is a class-warfare comedy disguised as sci-fi. Doctor Who is a morality play, wrapped up in monsters, and tied up with time travel. The best episodes of Doctor Who are basically scary history lessons -- often involving cameos by Queen Victoria and Charles Dickens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCBWzgI1vIw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MFTJA1nPiw

MomoD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Irish TV Show

Hi Everyone

I have enjoyed reading the TV shows you all enjoy. There is a TV show going on over here at the moment (I thinks its in its 3rd series), its recorded in Southern Ireland (the republic). The show is called Mrs Browns Boys, you have to be a bit broad minded to watch it, there is no nudity but a wee bit of bad language. The show is recorded live in front of an audience. Mrs Brown is a guy in drag, the sjow is about Mrs Brown looking agter her grown up children and grandad ( he dead husbands father). I have not laughed so much in a long time, If you come across the show, give it a go, I'm sure you will enjoy it (if you can get past the language barrier). :hysterical:

Ubil

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pie in the Sky

I haven't seen anyone mention Pie in the Sky with Richard Griffiths and Maggie Steed.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which of any of these shows can be found on Netflix or Amazon Prime? Anyone know?

wauhob3

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Count me in and add Torchwood and Primeval for other good BBC Sci Fi shows. I love all British TV except for some of the comedies with too much bodily humor.