• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wow! Marriott buys into Atlantis Resort! [split from other thread]

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Another wrinkle is that the Atlantis hotels are now under the Marriott, Int'l. umbrella, which is a separate company from the timeshare developer/manager, Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corp. Effectively, Marriott timeshares have the same relationship to MI as the majority of Marriott hotels do - they pay an annual fee for the rights to use the name and share some IT services.

A management change at Harbourside from Starwood to Marriott wouldn't surprise me (no timeshare management change would,) but it's not something I'd expect simply because of the new relationship between Atlantis and MI. If it never happens it's still a good thing for the Marriott timeshare owners that we now have Atlantis options through the Marriott Rewards and MVW Destination Club programs.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Harborside and Atlantis have separate ownership, and management. Marriott is managing Atlantis as a hotel - not a timeshare.

Harborside is managed by Starwood, in theory, at the direction of the timeshare owners as represented by the Harborside board of directors.

My understanding is Marriott will not even be managing Atlantis. They simply lent a bunch of money and in return, part of the deal allows them to add it to their "autograph collection" so Marriott rewards members can earn and redeem rewards points for stays at Atlantis (minus Harborside).

George Markantonis, the resort’s president and managing director, said Atlantis would benefit from the wide reach of Marriott’s loyalty program, which has 45 million members.

Even with a quarter of the resort’s business coming from groups, Markantonis said he sees potential for growth in that area as well.

“There are amazing group and convention facilities which I think we will be able to expose to a broader market thanks to [Marriott’s] reach,” he said.

Wednesday’s news follows an earlier announcement that the resort had completed a $1.95 billion recapitalization, which included a $195 million infusion from owner Brookfield Asset Management as well as $1.75 billion from a group of other lenders. Marriott provided a $100 million mezzanine loan as part of the package.

Brookfield also announced that it had established a new management company, Brookfield Hospitality, to replace Kerzner International, which has a contract to manage the resort through Sept. 9.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article1973897.html#storylink=cpy

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
... Are there any units, elsewhere in the Marriott loyalty system, where units available with points are owned by individuals? I'm thinking anything like Cottages at The Greenbrier, that are owned by people but rented nightly like a hotel room through the resort.

Eeeesh. This is the kind of question that makes you think for days on end. :eek:

I can't think of any except the Ritz-Carlton Residence Clubs and, maybe, the Renaissance property in Aruba. I believe owners are able to rent those for a cash return through MI and/or MVW, on a different basis than the rental program available to timeshare Weeks owners through MVW.

It might be possible with any of the "boutique" hotel properties that MI lumps together in their "Lifestyle Collection" if whole/fractional ownership is possible with any of those.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
My understanding is Marriott will not even be managing Atlantis. They simply lent a bunch of money and in return, part of the deal allows them to add it to their "autograph collection" so Marriott rewards members can earn and redeem rewards points for stays at Atlantis (minus Harborside).

Thanks for the correction - I mis-spoke. :hi:

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just received my email today from Marriott Rewards sharing the news about earning MR points for a stay at Atlantis and using points toward a stay. It says to call to book with points. Also this promotion:
Rates from $99 + Kids Eat Free
For a limited time, stay at Atlantis starting from only $99 per night in the Beach Tower – and kids eat breakfast and dinner free – if you book by November 18, 2014. To earn points for your stay*, include your Marriott Rewards® number when you book.

Last edited:

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got this offer as you may have, too.

Whoopsie. TMI. Deleted

It's the $99 and up offer from Marriott for an Atlantis stay. Must book by Nov. 18th.

Check your emails.

-

Last edited:

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
What will be interesting is how easy it will be to book with Marriott points--right now you have to call and can't do it online. Will they limit the numbers of "point" rooms similar to airlines and frequent flyer miles. Also whether if you are are a Platinum member will you get special benefits and upgrades--my son is Marriott platinum so will see what happens if he tries to book.