• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

BEWARE if You Pre-paid SDO MF for 2014

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Because I prepaid this year’s MF, the statement for my SDO 2BR2BA lockout EOY showed a credit of $569. HOWEVER—last year I paid $574. Why did they ding me $5? I was clear about excluding ARDA.
A phone call finally got the rep to credit me $5. He was unclear about why it happened, mentioned ARDA a couple of times, and I think they tried to squeeze the ARDA fee out of me and thought I wouldn’t notice.
I hope others who find the same discrepancy will call and fight for the credit. If it happens to many and many resist, perhaps they’ll stop this chicanery.
My husband rolled his eyes and couldn’t believe I spent time on the phone for $5, but I dislike the feeling of being conned.

Yolie912

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is ARDA? I have that on my invoice as well.

Thanks

Quiet Pine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
What is ARDA? I have that on my invoice as well.

Thanks
The American Resort Development Association (ARDA) is a timeshare political action committee--basically a lobbying group. I understand it works on behalf of the developers, not people like us. Many might disagree. Search ARDA and you'll find lots of discussion on TUG. The $5 is voluntary.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Starwood should make that fee voluntary by not even adding it to the bill. Ask for it in addition and don't make me subtract it. I am in the same exact boat on two weeks I need to get corrected. :rolleyes: I have a credit for 2016 on two of my weeks, but they are now crediting that $5.00. It's BS.

TrojanRickus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Pacific Palisades
SDO
WKV
Starwood should make that fee voluntary by not even adding it to the bill. Ask for it in addition and don't make me subtract it. I am in the same exact boat on two weeks I need to get corrected. :rolleyes: I have a credit for 2016 on two of my weeks, but they are now crediting that $5.00. It's BS.

I had a problem designating my SDO week to II because they kept saying I had a $5 balance in my account. You guessed it...It is BS. They would not let me deposit my SDO week in II until I paid for it.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did the pre-pay online earlier this year and had no issue with being given full credit. I just paid the balance minus $5 without any issues. Did all of you call in to pay instead of doing it online thru mystarcentral?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
The American Resort Development Association (ARDA) is a timeshare political action committee--basically a lobbying group. I understand it works on behalf of the developers, not people like us. Many might disagree. Search ARDA and you'll find lots of discussion on TUG. The $5 is voluntary.

ARDA-ROC definitely lobbies for the interests of timeshare owners. Many disagree with that statement, but most have not taken the time to distinguish between ARDA and ARDA-ROC. The ROC stands for Resort Owners Coalition and they have done a lot of good for timeshare owners. I especially like the work they do in opposing unfair taxes on timeshare owners.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
ARDA-ROC definitely lobbies for the interests of timeshare owners. Many disagree with that statement, but most have not taken the time to distinguish between ARDA and ARDA-ROC. The ROC stands for Resort Owners Coalition and they have done a lot of good for timeshare owners. I especially like the work they do in opposing unfair taxes on timeshare owners.

While this is true, they do an abysmal job of informing their constituents (ie. us?) of their performance. And the group is tarnished by the simple fact that timeshare systems automatically charge the fee from us rather than making it an opt-in decision, which would lead to more credibility and transparency.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

I just got my first SDO MF bill and not only do I have the $5.00 ARDA fee but I also have a SVN Membership Fee of $134. I thought this fee was only for the mandatory resorts?

Can anyone tell me if that is accurate?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I just got my first SDO MF bill and not only do I have the $5.00 ARDA fee but I also have a SVN Membership Fee of $134. I thought this fee was only for the mandatory resorts?

Can anyone tell me if that is accurate?

You are correct. You need to call and ask to either be allowed to use StarOptions to exchange, or get a refund of the SVN fee.

Riggo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find the way SDO displays the ARDA-ROC fee highly deceptive. They include it in the "Total Due" when in fact it is not part of the "Total Due". Either something is due or it is not due. In this case, it is not due, but the bill includes it as due. This is just wrong, deceptive, and unethical. I am sure many fall victim to this ruse and would not pay it were they aware it is completely voluntary. Whether ARDA benefits the owners or not is not the point. How would you feel if when you go to pay for your groceries, they have added in $5.00 for a lobbyist and you don't see the fine print on the receipt that says you have to ask to subtract it? This is just bad business and the Board members have an obligation to change it. I could not in good conscious serve on a Board that allows such a practice.

Quiet Pine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Happened again for 2016 MF

Again I pre-paid MF, for 2016, and they siphoned off $5 for ARDA. A phone called resolved it quickly, but I don't see why I need to be proactive about this. I paid $590--you can see I was credited for only $585.

Maintenance Fee Details

Total Due $ -585.28
Projected Fees for Next Year $ 590.28

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
While this is true, they do an abysmal job of informing their constituents (ie. us?) of their performance. And the group is tarnished by the simple fact that timeshare systems automatically charge the fee from us rather than making it an opt-in decision, which would lead to more credibility and transparency.

They also allow assorted scammers to join ARDA - not just legitimate businesses.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
They also allow assorted scammers to join ARDA - not just legitimate businesses.

Really? Perhaps we should have a list of those companies on TUG...

Sent from my iPad

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
I find the way SDO displays the ARDA-ROC fee highly deceptive. They include it in the "Total Due" when in fact it is not part of the "Total Due". Either something is due or it is not due. In this case, it is not due, but the bill includes it as due. This is just wrong, deceptive, and unethical. I am sure many fall victim to this ruse and would not pay it were they aware it is completely voluntary. Whether ARDA benefits the owners or not is not the point. How would you feel if when you go to pay for your groceries, they have added in $5.00 for a lobbyist and you don't see the fine print on the receipt that says you have to ask to subtract it? This is just bad business and the Board members have an obligation to change it. I could not in good conscious serve on a Board that allows such a practice.

Seems as though there is a new pac for Kaanapali. Its the Maui Timeshare Ohana or MTO. Shows up on bill and is included in the total due. In the fine print it instructs you to "deduct $10 if you do not wish to contribute". Also

Didnt know the associations filed a lawsuit against the County and Maui County Council. Who gets to pay for that I wonder? Should be interesting.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Didnt know the associations filed a lawsuit against the County and Maui County Council. Who gets to pay for that I wonder? Should be interesting.

They are trying to get a ruling on the property tax situation, I believe. Maui Council created a classification just for timeshares that's 65% more expensive than what hotels pay. They also make us pay the VAT, which is double taxation. We can't be both tourists AND residents.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
They are trying to get a ruling on the property tax situation, I believe. Maui Council created a classification just for timeshares that's 65% more expensive than what hotels pay. They also make us pay the VAT, which is double taxation. We can't be both tourists AND residents.
You're not both tourists and residents. You're tourists and transient property owners. So, you pay real estate tax on the property and a Transient Accommodations Tax (TAT) on the number of nights you stay. I'm not saying it's fair, but it's at least consistent.

I always thought it'd be interesting to buy 27 weeks in a Hawaii timeshare and then insist on a waiver of the TAT since you'd no longer meet their definition of transient. Do you think it would work? :)

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are correct. You need to call and ask to either be allowed to use StarOptions to exchange, or get a refund of the SVN fee.

ok, this has been a pain... they insisted I pay the SPN fee (because the csr stated that I qualified) or my bill would be delinquent, so I paid and its been a hassle to get my money back...

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
The rub is that EVERY bill these days seems to ask for an ARDA contribution. Ok, if I am going to donate, I am going to do it once, not for every MF bill I have.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
ok, this has been a pain... they insisted I pay the SPN fee (because the csr stated that I qualified) or my bill would be delinquent, so I paid and its been a hassle to get my money back...

Did you buy direct from SVO or via resale?

In any event, you should call financial services since this is an mf/payment issue. If you are still getting hassled, ask to speak to a supervisor and they should escalate you to Resolution Services.

-ryan

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you buy direct from SVO or via resale?

In any event, you should call financial services since this is an mf/payment issue. If you are still getting hassled, ask to speak to a supervisor and they should escalate you to Resolution Services.

-ryan

My SDO is a resale and I think I have the issue of having to pay this SVN Membership Fee of $134 resolved. If I don't see this credit on my bill, I will be calling them back.