• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between the 2 bed TH and the 2 bed premium? Thanks!
One is a townhouse, two stories. The other is a single floor condo style arrangement.

Different phases. Townhouses are up the hill or in the bay vista top phase of the main resort.

You can see the different floorplans on the website.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Proposed MF for 2017:

Studio - $1386
1Bd - $1846
2Bd TH - $2310
2Bd Prem - $2772
3Bd Pool $2772

I've always found very interesting how the 2BD Prem and 3Bd Pool villas have the same MFs. I'll take it, of course.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I'm wondering if anyone has any guidance on how II works and whether it's even an option in my circumstance. I own a 2BR BV unit for week 51 and our plans changed so we're not coming this year unfortunately. I bought it a number of years ago on secondary market and Bay Vista is not a mandatory resort so I know I don't have the ability to exchange through Starwood/Vistana. If I'm not successful renting it out privately, am I able to deposit it into II or is that not an available option for me? We've used it every year or given to family members so I've never explored exchanges. I know the value would be dreadful compared to what a holiday week WSJ villa is worth, but just wondering what if any my options are if I can't rent it. Any guidance on the process would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Not an II expert, but it can be deposited into II. You have to have an II account.
It can be hard to rent unless during high-season - or priced to rent easily (less than MF which may be a better deal than II since it may be a trade downward and has associated fees)
Good luck.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
What's the difference between the 2 bed TH and the 2 bed premium? Thanks!

For the VGV phase - there isboth a 2Bd TH and 2Bd Premium. The 2Bd premium is essentially 2 studies side-by-side and therefore 2Bd premium has twice the MF as a studio. That is why the 2Bd premium has same MF as 3Bd pool villa.

BV phase also has 2Bd premium and TH villas, but totally different floor plans - and nothing to do with posted VGV MFs.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I'm wondering if anyone has any guidance on how II works and whether it's even an option in my circumstance. I own a 2BR BV unit for week 51 and our plans changed so we're not coming this year unfortunately. I bought it a number of years ago on secondary market and Bay Vista is not a mandatory resort so I know I don't have the ability to exchange through Starwood/Vistana. If I'm not successful renting it out privately, am I able to deposit it into II or is that not an available option for me? We've used it every year or given to family members so I've never explored exchanges. I know the value would be dreadful compared to what a holiday week WSJ villa is worth, but just wondering what if any my options are if I can't rent it. Any guidance on the process would be appreciated.

Since you bought resale, you would need to have an II membership before being able to deposit it. That said, you are correct that this would be an enormous waste of the ownership. I would think Week 51 would easily rent for more than MFs, even considering the short timeframe before arrival. My recommendation would be to post an ad on TUG and RedWeek, price it aggressively, and I'd be surprised if you don't have cash in hand within a few weeks.

tammymacb

TUG Member
Reaction score
One is a townhouse, two stories. The other is a single floor condo style arrangement.

Different phases. Townhouses are up the hill or in the bay vista top phase of the main resort.

You can see the different floorplans on the website.

I have a two story in VG ( love it ). It's longer that she of the units because it's on the end but I didn't think it was a premium unit either.

Thanks.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I never paid attention to this during my previous stays because I never had an interest in earning StarPoints but now that Starwood has merged with Marriott, I am :)

Do you earn StarPoints for the money you spend at the resort on restaurants and excursions?
I am SPG Gold and DH is SPG Platinum.....should I change the reservation to his name/number for a higher earn rate or does everyone earn the same (which I think is 2 SP per $1 spent?)

With Marriott, Platinum earns 50% more MRPs on the $ spent.

I am leaving Sunday for my first stay in my Coral Vista Loft unit. Very very very excited!

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you earn StarPoints for the money you spend at the resort on restaurants and excursions?

I am SPG Gold and DH is SPG Platinum.....should I change the reservation to his name/number for a higher earn rate or does everyone earn the same (which I think is 2 SP per $1 spent?)

If the restaurant is owned by the property, you usually earn SPs. Sometimes non-property restaurants don't give SPs. Best case is to charge it all back to your room.

Parking, resort fees, external bookings (excursions) don't usually earn SPs.

All SPG members get 2/$1. Gold/Platinum get 3/$1. Platinum75/100 get 4/$1.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If the restaurant is owned by the property, you usually earn SPs. Sometimes non-property restaurants don't give SPs. Best case is to charge it all back to your room.

Parking, resort fees, external bookings (excursions) don't usually earn SPs.

All SPG members get 2/$1. Gold/Platinum get 3/$1. Platinum75/100 get 4/$1.

Thanks you.
We will most likely eat at Lemongrass once or twice and buy drinks/snacks at the pool bar.
So if I charge it to the room, I will earn 3 points per $1 as my husband is Platinum. I do not have a SPG Amex (which would earn me additional points) but will use our Marriott VISA.

The points I earn are independent of what credit card I use, is that correct?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks you.
We will most likely eat at Lemongrass once or twice and buy drinks/snacks at the pool bar.
So if I charge it to the room, I will earn 3 points per $1 as my husband is Platinum. I do not have a SPG Amex (which would earn me additional points) but will use our Marriott VISA.

The points I earn are independent of what credit card I use, is that correct?

Correct, you earn points in SPG base on your incidental spending. If you put final charges on your MR credit card, you should get 5 points per dollar additional from Chase. If you put it on some other card, then no additional points. The two are completely separate other than in the end they end up in the same MR account.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Correct, you earn points in SPG base on your incidental spending. If you put final charges on your MR credit card, you should get 5 points per dollar additional from Chase. If you put it on some other card, then no additional points. The two are completely separate other than in the end they end up in the same MR account.

I also have Chase Sapphire Reserve which earns 3 UR points per dollar spent on travel but I am looking to build up my Marriott rewards for an upcoming trip.
And a BIG THANKS as this is just the info I was looking for :banana::banana::banana:

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Flooding on STJ - outside StarFish towards Candies

f517b832b6c987f3161272cf7d89a615.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Flooding on STJ - outside StarFish towards Candies

f517b832b6c987f3161272cf7d89a615.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just made it thru this mess around 4 PM. We were stuck in the lobby for 1 hour before we said what the heck and took an iguana. Our driver was hilarious ad we went thru puddles up to the running board. Stopped after 90 minutes but now I will call the front desk to see if the road is open. Have 7 PM Resies at Ocean Grill

Beautiful sunset by the way.

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
New on site restaurant

We ate at Knox and Ollies tonight. The food and presentation were excellent. It is a good alternative to the buffet, and if you do not want to go too far, or take a cab, its nice to have another quality restaurant on property.

Markus

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Any damage or flooding elsewhere on the island or WSJ property?

There was not as far as we could tell. The road was open by our 6:45 departure.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
November 2017 Availability?

The Vistana dashboard shows Coral Vista studio availability through 30 Oct 2017. But from 1 November on, it shows zero availability. Is this usual? What's magic about a 1 Nov date?

To be more specific: the dashboard shows considerable availability for 2BR and 3BR WSJ units for check-in dates up through 15 Nov 2017, but zero availability for studio units of any type after 30 October.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resort looks in pretty good shape, no sign of the flooding shown in the pics above.

Only one ferry company is operating. The ramp of one of the ferries had a pretty big hole which was covered with an orange cone and they were directing drivers around it.

Keep the left shoulder in the left side of the road...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sunset Bay Retrofit. The only building open with hotel rooms is the OF Building - 10.
IMG_0162.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0164.JPG
    IMG_0164.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 48

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm doing the WSJ owners 8:30 AM update tomorrow. I'll report what the sales guy says that sounds interesting and hasn't been covered recently. Send me questions if you are wondering about specifics?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I'm doing the WSJ owners 8:30 AM update tomorrow. I'll report what the sales guy says that sounds interesting and hasn't been covered recently. Send me questions if you are wondering about specifics?

When is Sunset Bay due to open for 1st HO reservations (opening date)? When is it due to be completed (completion date)?

Why did they call it Sunset Bay when the sun does not set in the south? :D

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pic is for David - Floating Bar moored at Coral Bay.

Painkillers were very good at skinny legs today.

Attachments

• IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 40
Status
Not open for further replies.