• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

90,000 SPG Points GET 152,000 United Miles and 7 nights Marriott Hotel

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Until November 30, 2016 you can use 90,000 SPG points and get 152,000 United miles and 7 nights in a Cat 1 - 5 Marriott hotel.

1. Link your SPG and Marriott Rewards account.

www.SPG.com

2. Register for United transfer hotel points to United mileage bonus (20% bonus up to 20,000 miles).

https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com/reg/PTM2015/index.html

3. Register for Marriott - United Rewards Plus.

https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

4. Transfer 90,000 SPG points to Marriott (get 270,000 Marriott points).

www.spg.com

5. Use 270,000 Marriott points for Flights and Hotels - United (Shows 132,000 United miles but you will get 20,000 additional as bonus AND 7 nights Marriott cat 1-5 hotel certificate good for one year but can be extended additional year to make reservation so really over 2 1/2 years to use).

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

The Points Guy http://thepointsguy.com/2016/10/transfer-hotel-points-united-bonus/

Doctor of Credit: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/united-offering-25-transfer-bonus-transfer-hotel-points/

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks. Sounds like a reasonable offer IF one has need of staying in a Cat 1-5 Marriott hotels. Unfortunately our potential usage for Marriott (NorCal, NYC) is in the Cat 7-9 range.

I hadn't really looked at the Marriott Cat levels - quite disappointed except for their top tier hotels.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Wait till January 1st transfer 90,000 SPG to Marriott Rewards you will get 270,000 MR points. You can turn those points into 120,000 rapid reward points and get a 7 night certificate to Cat 1-5 hotels.

MR points converted to rapid Rewards count towards companion pass so if you do it after January 1st you will get the 7 night stay, 120K rapid reward points worth about $1715 in free airfare, plus you will get the companion pass for your spouse or someone else so they can fly free all of 2017 and 2018 on Southwest with you!.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Sounds like a reasonable offer IF one has need of staying in a Cat 1-5 Marriott hotels. Unfortunately our potential usage for Marriott (NorCal, NYC) is in the Cat 7-9 range.

I hadn't really looked at the Marriott Cat levels - quite disappointed except for their top tier hotels.

With Marriott travel package, you will get higher Cat level when you use more MRPs. I converted to Cat 9 room in Rome using their travel package.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Wow, United mileage conversions from Marriott Rewards points are actually quite favorable, as opposed to from SPG.

With SPG, 20K points converts to only 12,500 miles (2:1 conversion, plus transfer bonus). However, transferring just 19K SPG points to 57K MR points yields 25K United miles, which is on par (slightly more favorable, actually) with the rest of SPG's 1:1 airline partners.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
The value isn't in the cat 1-5 cert. It is much better to get a higher category hotel cert. Yes, it will cost more points but the value is a MUCH higher return.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Wait till January 1st transfer 90,000 SPG to Marriott Rewards you will get 270,000 MR points. You can turn those points into 120,000 rapid reward points and get a 7 night certificate to Cat 1-5 hotels.

MR points converted to rapid Rewards count towards companion pass so if you do it after January 1st you will get the 7 night stay, 120K rapid reward points worth about $1715 in free airfare, plus you will get the companion pass for your spouse or someone else so they can fly free all of 2017 and 2018 on Southwest with you!.

What is rapid rewards?

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, United mileage conversions from Marriott Rewards points are actually quite favorable, as opposed to from SPG.

Yes, the value here is 90,000 SPG points gets you 152,000 United miles.

And Yes again, The Southwest Companion Pass deal is good too.

And And, Yes, again, using more Marriott points on these can get you a higher value for the category hotel you want.

All great deals but the United miles bonus ends November 30.

Last edited:

elleny76

Reaction score
I have a headache already trying to understand.(and I do really want to understand)... How do you get so many points in SPG?

I travel to regular_vacations and open CC's to get the bonuses but other than that with bills I wont get to so many points:shrug:

How do I get 90k SPG?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I have a headache already trying to understand.(and I do really want to understand)... How do you get so many points in SPG?

I travel to regular_vacations and open CC's to get the bonuses but other than that with bills I wont get to so many points:shrug:

How do I get 90k SPG?

Hotel stays, TS conversions, credit card spend, Vistana timeshare tours, etc. I also have a bunch of certificates to purchase more points for about 1.8 cents apiece.

You're right, though, that it's difficult to accrue large numbers of points without a fair amount of other spending. Points aren't free!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The value isn't in the cat 1-5 cert. It is much better to get a higher category hotel cert. Yes, it will cost more points but the value is a MUCH higher return.

I am confused, the offer that duke posted was for a Cat1-5 (7 nite certificate) - How is that related to getting a higher category hotel certificate? Is another higher category certificate available with this offer? Or are you saying I can add on MR points to this Cat1-5certificate?

Last edited:

sachia007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott/SPG points and airline points

Let's say you drive to a resort, and you book a stay at either hotel, do you just earn hotel points, or is there a way to earn both hotel and airplane points?

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I am confused, the offer that duke posted was for a Cat1-5 (7 nite certificate) - How is that related to getting a higher category hotel certificate? Is another higher category certificate available with this offer? Or are you saying I can add on MR points to this Cat1-5certificate?

I am suggesting that you would be hard pressed to find a category 5 hotel you would like to spend 7 nights in. So a package with a category 7 hotel would be 20,000 SPGs (60,000 MRPs) more and would give you a much better return financially. Why use all those points to stay in a hotel that costs $100-150 per night when a cat 7 hotel could cost $300-450 per night.
If all you have is 90,000 SPG points then you can purchase that 1-5 category package and then upgrade the hotel certificate when you get more points.

Last edited:

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am suggesting that you would be hard pressed to find a category 5 hotel you would like to spend 7 nights in. So a package with a category 7 hotel would be 20 SPs (60 MRPs) more and would give you a much better return financially. Why use all those points to stay in a hotel that costs $100-150 per night when a cat 7 hotel could cost $300-450 per night.
If all you have is 90,000 SPG points then you can purchase that 1-5 category package and then upgrade the hotel certificate when you get more points.

Should be: 60,000 Marriott Points = 20,000 SPG

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Until November 30, 2016 you can use 90,000 SPG points and get 152,000 United miles and 7 nights in a Cat 1 - 5 Marriott hotel.

1. Link your SPG and Marriott Rewards account.

www.SPG.com

2. Register for United transfer hotel points to United mileage bonus (20% bonus up to 20,000 miles).

https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com/reg/PTM2015/index.html

3. Register for Marriott - United Rewards Plus.

https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

4. Transfer 90,000 SPG points to Marriott (get 270,000 Marriott points).

www.spg.com

5. Use 270,000 Marriott points for Flights and Hotels - United (Shows 132,000 United miles but you will get 20,000 additional as bonus AND 7 nights Marriott cat 1-5 hotel certificate good for one year but can be extended additional year to make reservation so really over 2 1/2 years to use).

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

The Points Guy http://thepointsguy.com/2016/10/transfer-hotel-points-united-bonus/

Doctor of Credit: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/united-offering-25-transfer-bonus-transfer-hotel-points/

I think everything is right, except for what I have in bold and red above. That only applies to Platinum members. To be eligible for the 25% bonus, you need to register your MileagePlus account number for the 25% bonus through the link provided by The Points Guy.

nokaoi9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Sheraton Vistana Villages
Does anyone know how it would work for the Category 8's? Specifically, Newport Coast Villas only has 2BR units so you're guarantee a 2BR, but what sized unit would you get at Ko Olina or Maui Ocean Club?

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Does anyone know how it would work for the Category 8's? Specifically, Newport Coast Villas only has 2BR units so you're guarantee a 2BR, but what sized unit would you get at Ko Olina or Maui Ocean Club?

I believe if you pick a category 8 that only has 2 br's you still need to throw in extra points to upgrade to be able to use it in a 2 BR. My understanding is that if NCV had studios it would use just a category 8 cert. Since it doesn't 8 is just the base and you still have to pay 2 size upgrades per day to use in a 2 BR.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I believe if you pick a category 8 that only has 2 br's you still need to throw in extra points to upgrade to be able to use it in a 2 BR. My understanding is that if NCV had studios it would use just a category 8 cert. Since it doesn't 8 is just the base and you still have to pay 2 size upgrades per day to use in a 2 BR.

Correct, in order to upgrade in unit size you have to purchase upgrade certificates at 5000 points for each step up in size. So a 2BR would cost an additional 10,000 points per night.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct, in order to upgrade in unit size you have to purchase upgrade certificates at 5000 points for each step up in size. So a 2BR would cost an additional 10,000 points per night.

Actually seems like a good deal:

Would cost 430,000 Marriott points = 143,000 SPG points.

You get 120,000 Southwest or 132,000 United miles for example which, "if" had participated in SPG program would cost about 100,000 SPG point including bonus.

This leaves cost 43,000 SPG points for the 2br Timeshare at Newport Coast = about 6,000 SPG per night.

HOWEVER, there is NO availability I can see.
Any suggestions?