• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying at Vistana Villages for Staroptions

ginah777

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a Sheraton Vistana. If I do, I will not be able to exchange to a Sheraton in Hawaii via the Vistana membership?

I would need to buy a Sheraton Key West (my next choice) to be able to exchange to Hawaii?

Would I need to purchase additional Starwood option points or membership so that I can stay at a Sheraton Hawaii?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I am considering purchasing a Sheraton Vistana. If I do, I will not be able to exchange to a Sheraton in Hawaii via the Vistana membership?

First - there are no Sheraton Timeshares in Hawaii; there are Sheraton HOTELS, but the timeshare resorts are Westins.

But the Sheraton and Westin TIMESHARES are BOTH under the Vistana umbrella, and Staroptions from Sheraton and Westin are interchangeable.

Secondly - I am assuming that you are talking about buying RESALE and not from the developer - which is a terrible deal.

I would need to buy a Sheraton Key West (my next choice) to be able to exchange to Hawaii?

Sheraton Key West is one phase at Sheraton Vistana Villages - not a separate resort.

You need to buy a timeshare at a "mandatory resort," which has enough Staroptions for the trade you want. You won't be able to use Staroptions for Christmas or New Years weeks, and the peak high season dates may not be available at 8 mos.

Hawaii:

Studio: 67,100 Staroptions
1-Bedroom: 81,000 Staroptions
2-Bedroom: 148,100 Staroptions

Would I need to purchase additional Starwood option points or membership so that I can stay at a Sheraton Hawaii?

Just to clarify, there are future plans for a Sheraton timeshare on Kauai, but at this point in time, the 4 current Vistana resorts in Hawaii, are all Westins.

These resorts have Staroptions when purchased resale:

a. If a resort is Staroption "Mandatory," it means that when the week is sold to a new owner (resale) the Staroption value of the week transfers to the new owner, and the new owner has the right to exchange his timeshare in the Starwood Vacation Network. These resorts are Staroption Mandatory:

* Harborside at Atlantis
* Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases only)
* Westin St. John (Virgin Grand - Hillside only)
* Westin Ka'anapali & Westin Ka'anapali-North
* Westin Kierland Villas

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
I read that Sheraton Vistanna Village Bella has had issues with bed bugs in 2013 and again in 2015. Is that still an issue.

ginah777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sheraton bought out by Marriott

I hear that Marriott will be taking over Sheraton? Is this a sure thing? How will it impact Sheraton owners?

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hear that Marriott will be taking over Sheraton? Is this a sure thing? How will it impact Sheraton owners?

Marriott (the hotel company) completed closing on the merger with (purchase of) Starwood (the hotel company) a few weeks ago. This is a done deal.

These are not the timeshare companies.

There are long-term relationships between the timeshare and hotel companies that effectively allow exchanges between them in specific circumstances. Vistana owners with the ability to convert to SPG points can book Starwood hotels, and you can use SPG points to book Vistana timeshares.

Like with everything else, there are exceptions, and the number of points you need to exchange between the timeshares and hotels varies, usually changing once a year.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to clarify - "Sheraton" is just one timeshare brand under the Vistana Umbrella, so when we are talking about this resort system, we are talking about Vistana - not just Sheraton. In other words, Sheraton is not a separate system - it's part of Vistana.

Vistana includes Sheraton, Westin, Harborside, and others - in the same group.

The Starwood Vacation Network (including Sheraton) was sold to Vistana in May.

Here are all the Vistana Timeshares: https://www.vistana.com/destinations?IM=SVOREDIRECT_201302_SVN_RESORTS

Last edited:

Rsauer3473

TUG Member
Reaction score
We purchased two 2bdrm weeks at SVV Bella and Key West in 2014 for a total of $1,000 using TUG marketplace (one cost $1,000 and the other was free.) We use the 67,100 SOs each for two weeks at Kaanapali Villas North studio for two weeks. We also own at Kaanapali.