• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WSJ/SJ:Our Assessment

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just returned from WSJ (first trip) and wanted to give my take.

St. John (in general): the beaches and water are the most beautiful I've ever seen (this coming from someone who grew up on the Gulf Coast). SJ is remote and run down in places. The roads are poorly maintained for the most part. The remoteness will appeal to some and not to others. There is a medical clinic, but if you have a medical emergency that requires urgent care, you will be taken by an ambulance boat to St. Thomas, which is about a 30 minute trip. This will be a cause for concern for some, especially those up in age, where things like heart attack and stroke chances are higher. We found the food very good to excellent (ate at Ocean Grill and Indigo Grill), although compared to places like Hawaii, the number of restaurants is much more limited. Found the people to be very friendly. Rented our car from Amalie (thanks David) and took the car ferry. Very, very impressed with Amalie. Amazingly easy, the best rental car experience ever. Met us at the airport and dropped us off at the airport. Highly recommend Amalie. Driving on the left was not a problem for us. Backing onto the car barge and fitting your car into the small space on the ferry takes a little getting use to, but coming back was much easier. Will definitely rent from Amalie again.

WSJ: We stayed in Coral Vista 2BR (center building), and having read some of the reviews here, I was a little concerned. However, I must say we really enjoyed this unit. The arrangement/design was somewhat different (angular) from most TSs, which I appreciated. We had a first floor unit, which was easily assessible. Very nicely decorated and appointed. I can see where the kitchen might be a problem for those who do alot of cooking. Loved the location. Close to restaurant, beach, dock, etc.. Really think it has one of the best locations there, except for perhaps the Villas currently being renovated. The Hilltop Villas have the view, but we would not want to be that far removed from the resort center (I know there are many here that prefer the Hilltop Villas; really a matter of preference). A little disappointed with the quality of the outside areas of the resort. Relative to some other beach resorts we've been to (e.g., WKORV and Marriott Ocean Pointe), the common areas; plantings/shrubs were not as nice/well kept. Not that they were bad, just not as nice. I would describe it as a little more natural-looking, which may appeal to some. Mosquitoes were definitely an issue. Saw no evidence that they spray at the resort. IMO, any woman of child-bearing age should be concerned about this. Concierges/front desk personnel were friendly but not very knowledgeable about area roads. Found other personnel to be friendly for the most part. Ate at Lemongrass twice. The food was very good, and the prices were reasonable for a resort. Highly recommend an outside table overlooking the bay. Definitely plan to return. Given where we live, this is a much easier trip for us than Hawaii.

Last edited:

tammymacb

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think one of the great things about WSJ is it's so different from phase to phase, so there's something for just about anybody.

I own Hillside and wouldn't trade for Coral Bay if they paid me. (They tried to talk me into upgrading last summer and it wasn't happening).

Our good friends own Bay Vista which I also really enjoy.

I know that there are a lot of people who have to be right at the beach and pool. So, it works out for everyone.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also like Bay Vista because it's close to the center of things, as well. And some of these units have great views. Some here have mentioned parking as an issue. This was not a problem for us as shuttles ran frequently. Usually the shuttle was waiting when we got outside to the waiting area (I called as we were leaving). This may be different during high season, though.

I think one of the great things about WSJ is it's so different from phase to phase, so there's something for just about anybody.

I own Hillside and wouldn't trade for Coral Bay if they paid me. (They tried to talk me into upgrading last summer and it wasn't happening).

Our good friends own Bay Vista which I also really enjoy.

I know that there are a lot of people who have to be right at the beach and pool. So, it works out for everyone.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks lizap for the review - always great to hear perspectives from others and glad that there were no parking issues - and Amalie worked out. We love to drive to beaches around the island and rarely get down to main resort. I think the negative comments were about the CV studio side more than the 2Bd - same with the SB studio. (at least that was my view...) But that is only relative terms - it is a beautiful place to vacation (but not inexpensive).

It is true that WSJ has something for everyone in regards vacation style - at least those that prefer tropical vacations. Me...

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I don't remember the roads being in poor condition, but all the other comments were similar to my impressions. I've never traveled to the Caribbean in the fall before this year (we went to HRA), and likely won't return in the fall again because of the humidity. I saw zero mosquitoes in the Bahamas, so they likely sprayed because there was standing water everywhere. Zika continues to be a concern, and it'll be interesting to see whether the virus will abate.

After visiting SVV, WKV, HRA, SDO, WSJ, and WKORV, the latter is still my favorite destination in the Starwood network. WSJ is second and WKV is third. WSJ is second only because of the humidity, and because I prefer an island that has more to do. The beauty of WSJ is the national park, but that also means less to do if you're not into snorkeling, or if you burned out (literally or figuratively) of the sun.

I agree that each phase of WSJ has its own unique flavor, much more so than at other large resorts, and I think Vistana would do themselves a favor by distinguishing the phases for exchanges so folks could exchange into the exact phase that they think they will favor.

Last edited:

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everything is relative - the only area where we saw good road condition was on the North side around the beaches.

I don't remember the roads being in poor condition, but all the other comments were similar to my impressions. I've never traveled to the Caribbean in the fall before this year (we went to HRA), and likely won't return in the fall again because of the humidity. I saw zero mosquitoes in the Bahamas, so they likely sprayed because there was standing water everywhere. Zika continues to be a concern, and it'll be interesting to see whether the virus will abate.

After visiting SVV, WKV, HRA, SDO, WSJ, and WKORV, the latter is still my favorite destination in the Starwood network. WSJ is second and WKV is third. WSJ is second only because of the humidity, and because I prefer an island that has more to do. The beauty of WSJ is the national park, but that also means less to do if you're not into snorkeling, or if you burned out (literally or figuratively) of the sun.

I agree that each phase of WSJ has its own unique flavor, much more so than at other large resorts, and I think Vistana would do themselves a favor by distinguishing the phases for exchanges so folks could exchange into the exact phase that they think they will favor.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
In general I find the StJ roads relatively okay, but perhaps because I am comparing to SF Bay Area roads ;)

In my experience, the South road (especially between WSJ and CruzBay) is pretty messed up (and those bumps suck...) - and parts of Centerline. The roads within the NPS are real smooth - I love to drive them, but apparently I was born (and destined) to Drive Left. :)

Gifft Road (Centerline to South road) - hard to pick-up the steepness...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsn30psMWac

Road to Lameshur (shhh... enjoy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sviOZLCqdcA

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)

I agree! This would be great.

Like the OP, I definitely prefer to be closer to the main resort amenities, and being in Hillside would not be as enjoyable for us, personally.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree! This would be great.
Tom
Like the OP, I definitely prefer to be closer to the main resort amenities, and being in Hillside would not be as enjoyable for us, personally.

Allowing you to pick the phase would be great. I know earlier this month they did NOT honor our advance request for hillside, being able to reserve what I want would be fabulous.