• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flooding in my Orlando unit

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a getaway from rci in a 2 bedroom at a Wydham resort this week in Orlando. I did not use our Wyndham points to book as the price was pretty good and I invite another family to stay with us so our children can play together. When we return from Disney Spring pass 11 pm tonight, we found lot of water coming through the ceiling into the master bathroom above the tub and in the shower as well as in the 2nd bathroom, in my closet, entrance into the main bedroom and part of bed. At least 1/3 of the carpet in the master bedroom in various spots are wet. We can't even use both bathrooms as the floor are filled with water. Needless to say, we call front desk right away and have to move to another unit. It took 2-3 hours to pack everything and to move to another unit. My clothes in the closet got wet too and I have to wash them in the washer. The people above us might have forgot to turn off water and flooded our unit. The night manager told us she has left message regard this issue and that we need to talk with the day manager tomorrow.
I have never encounter this problem in 7 years of timesharing. It was a huge inconvenience to pack and to move in the middle of the night with 3 kids in tow. I felt very bad as my guests have to deal with this too. Is this something I complain to the resort manager or to RCI? What would my fellow Tuggers do in this situation?

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
I think it's extremely unfortunate but something that was an accident and the only solution really was for you to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It was an accident. Be happy they had a unit for you to move to.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kinda hard to complain to either as it was neither one's fault.

Accidents happen, your settled into the new unit....just enjoy the rest of the vacation.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Kinda hard to complain to either as it was neither one's fault.

Accidents happen, your settled into the new unit....just enjoy the rest of the vacation.

Did anyone check on the people above you? Were they in the unit?
Did a pipe break? Did they leave the tub filling and forget?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I agree with others, stuff happens. I agree it was inconvenient and if it was a result of poor maintenance one may be due compensation. If it was that someone overflowed the tub in the unit above, then perhaps Offering compensation ends up coming out of the owners MFs, so it just drives up costs overall.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I talk with the room manager this morning who states they are still investigating and it might be a leaky toilet. But the amount of water coming through the ceiling suggests more than that. I was told the tenants above us were not at the unit when we found the flooding at 11:30 pm and they have to move to another unit too.
I do understand accident can happen but to find flooding in our unit and have to move 2 families' stuff passed midnight was no fun and was very disruptive. it could be dangerous given we have many electronics and chargers everywhere amid soaked carpet and poodles of water in both bathroom.
This event makes me think. If the tenant above us forget to turn the water off and cause significant damage to their unit and the one below, does the resort make them pay? What if I rent my timeshare out to someone and they cause water damage like this, am I responsible for the damages?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
At most resorts, the guest must run their credit card at check-in, and any damages are charged to their card.

ottawasquaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well...years ago, I had a plumber replace the innards to my potty on the same day my preschooler had surgery. I was scheduled to spend the night in the hospital, but the care there was soo poor that I opted to come home..about midnight...to a flooded house.

The upstairs potty (which was directly above my bedroom) had overflowed for about 12 hours. My bed was an 800# sponge. Bless his heart, the plumber came over and helped me! And he did not live close. What a good man!

So, I feel your pain. It's too bad the resort didn't spiff you with a dinner voucher or something for your inconvenience. Have you contacted RCI?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I talk with the room manager this morning who states they are still investigating and it might be a leaky toilet. But the amount of water coming through the ceiling suggests more than that. I was told the tenants above us were not at the unit when we found the flooding at 11:30 pm and they have to move to another unit too.
I do understand accident can happen but to find flooding in our unit and have to move 2 families' stuff passed midnight was no fun and was very disruptive. it could be dangerous given we have many electronics and chargers everywhere amid soaked carpet and poodles of water in both bathroom.

Not to be confrontational, but I don't understand what it is you want. If you just want to voice your disappointment in an accident happening, I'm completely in empathy of what you went through, but it feels like you are dissatisfied with their handling of the event.

There was a water problem that rendered your unit uninhabitable. They moved you immediately. Did you want to be left in the flooded unit so you wouldn't have to move your stuff late at night? I've never worked in a hotel where an incident like this didn't happen to someone at some point. All the resort can do is get you into a comfortable room, then assess the damage and remedy the cause. In a full service hotel, we would have had staff assist you in gathering and moving your belongings. The nature of timeshare doesn't support having sufficient overnight staff to be able to provide this level of help.

And to my knowledge, the resort holds the person who checked in and provided a deposit accountable for any damage, not the owner.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I had a similar issue a few yeas ago at Marriott Manor Club. We had a knock on the door, saying the unit under us had water coming in through the ceiling. The air conditioner drain pipe had clogged, and water had backed up out of it. The carpet in front of the closet was soaked.

They cleaned out the pipe, gag us a fan to blow on the carpet, and we went on with our week. Yes, it's an inconvenience. Don't let it run your trip.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not being confrontational, merely tell what happen to us. Yes, it was a huge inconvenience in moving in the middle of night, and have to rewash my clothes in the closet that got wet. I am just lucky that I put my iPad on the other night stand and not on the one that got soak with water. If my electronic got damaged by water, then I don't know who will be responsible.
I guess in a way I felt I lost face as I invite my friends and their kids to come to vacation with us so our children can play together and have fun. My friends were horrified by what happened. I felt I let them down since I was one who chose the resort.
By the way, the resort gave us a wine basket. We will enjoy the remainder of our vacation with a toast

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I am not being confrontational, merely tell what happen to us. Yes, it was a huge inconvenience in moving in the middle of night, and have to rewash my clothes in the closet that got wet. I am just lucky that I put my iPad on the other night stand and not on the one that got soak with water. If my electronic got damaged by water, then I don't know who will be responsible.
I guess in a way I felt I lost face as I invite my friends and their kids to come to vacation with us so our children can play together and have fun. My friends were horrified by what happened. I felt I let them down since I was one who chose the resort.
By the way, the resort gave us a wine basket. We will enjoy the remainder of our vacation with a toast

If your friends were disappointed it's not your fault. I'm sure they had a nice time especially the kids. Stuff happens beyond your control, at least no one was hurt.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a similar incident in Orlando at another resort. The management insisted we had caused the problem. There was a shelf on the wall with a roll of toilet paper, and that paper was three times the size. But contrary to all evidence, we had let something overflow?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel that compensation from someone is due. Not sure how much. Not sure if it is worth trying to collect. Has the resort let you know what caused the flood? I am very sorry for the situation.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The wine basket was at least something. I understand where you are coming from. You were up for hours in the middle of the night; had to spend some of your vacation doing laundry. It does add up to a loss for you.

A couple years ago we were at an Orlando resort and a load of clothing was ruined by the unit's washer. We filed a claim and got reimbursed. You are lucky that none of your electronics or personal items were damaged.

Hopefully, you have vented now and can still have a great week.

Deb

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We had a flooded ( 3 bedroom) unit a few years ago while staying at Wyndham Palm Aire. We returned around 9pm one evening to find firetrucks all around the building and dozens of people milling about outside. It seems that a woman in the unit next to ours decided to hang her garment bag off the sprinkler head to unpack it! :eek:

The head broke off the sprinkler and water just poured out. We heard that the woman called the afterhours number and left a message that she had a leaky pipe! It didn't take long for the water to start running across & down the hall and into the atrium 3 floors below, as well as into other units beside and below hers.

I guess when the sprinkler head broke off an alarm was triggered, so the fire department arrived before any maintenance workers. The fire department was able to shut off the water to the sprinkler system.

Management found space in an unused building across the parking lot for everybody. (It was early Dec., so slow time) We were not allowed into our unit to retrieve any personal effects. After much complaining by many residents staff entered some units to retrieve essential medications, only for those that had to have it. We spent the night in a nice 1 bedroom unit but without so much as a toothbrush, let alone any night clothes! Its a good job only 1 of our 3 kids was with us, so the 4/2 unit was ok for 1 night.

All evacuees were told to meet the manager the next day to discuss any concerns. They apologised for the inconvenience and asked for our home addresses and said Wyndham would send us a certificate for another week as compensation. I thought that was generous since we were back in our unit 12 hrs after the flood. There were loud fans & drying machines in our unit and the hallways of the building for the rest of our stay. We turned off the machines in our unit while we were in it. They only let a very few people move into the other building for the rest of their stay -we were not one of them!

Several weeks later a letter of apology arrived in our mail with a certificate for a 7 night stay in a studio unit at any Wyndham property in Florida to be used within the next 90 days! Since we are from Canada we let the certificate expire unused as it was not transferrable and we were not making another trip to Florida within 90 days. :annoyed:

~Diane