• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car rental or public transportation in PV

Dannyh86

Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning to visit PV in March/April, what are the opinions on renting a car or using the public transportation? This will be my first time there so I want to make the best of it. I have no problem driving in Mexico and I'm Mexican so have no problem blending in or a language barrier. About how much would a rental for the week cost vs using buses/taxis? Thanks in advance

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The bus system in PV is very inexpensive and a great way to get around. I can no longer use the bus because of a handicap so we have rented a car for the last 5+ years. We rent from Gecko, http://www.geckorentcar.com/ , and are very happy with their service. Their prices include all insurance thus eliminating many of the hassles of pricing and complaints people have with other vendors. Another plus is that no one will hassle you about timeshare promotions. Prices in the website are accurate. There is no comparison of prices, you can use the buses for a week for about what a car rental for a day will cost. Unless you are staying a distance from any bus stop, try it. You can always rent a car for a day or two is there is somewhere you can't get to by bus.

bellesgirl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We use the buses all the time and find them very convenient. They have a lot of local character too. Taxis are a cheap alternative as well depending on where you stay. Where in PV are you staying?

Dannyh86

Reaction score
I am still looking into where we will be staying. I will be exchanging into II but want to stay in Puerto Vallarta like in the middle of everything so we can visit as many places as possible. Any suggestions? I've read quite a bit here about some must visit places and restaurants which includes places like Sayulita, Marina, de los muertos, and a few restaurants that I have on my lost as well. More suggestions welcomed. Thank you guys for your help

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been going to PV since 1984. The II resorts where we have stayed are Lindo Mar, Villa del Palmar, Costa Sur Resort & Spa; we prefer the first two. All 3 resorts are beachfront and have decent beaches for swimming. None of them are in the heart of town, but easy to get to by bus or taxi. Waiting for the bus at LM & CSR&S can be awkward because you have to cross the highway and wait on the shoulder of the road. Grocery store, banks, and some shops & restaurant are across the street or a short walk from VdP.
We have a friend that stays at Vallarta Torre and he likes it there. That is closer to the marina with stores and banks within walking distance. If a nice beach is a priority, I would stay away from the marina. Some of the resorts in town are up in the hills and may be walkable going downhill but quite a hike going back up; some people walk down and taxi back.
Other places to visit , depending on your interests, could be the zoo, zip lines, and the botanical garden. There are several water activities - fishing, snorkeling, sight seeing, going to the Marietas, Quimixto or Yelapa. In March the whales aree still around. VdP will have the most on site or nearby water activities of parasailing, kayaks, jet skis, etc. Most places have massages on the beach. Vallarta Adventures is a good outfit, you can check their website to get an idea of activities. The Trip Advisor PV forum is a great source to find restaurants and answer any questions you may have.
Hope this info helps!