• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Back after a LONG Break..a few questions [San Clemente Inn & RCI]

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Some of you might remember me as a former Administrator here on TUG. Long story short, I haven't been active in the timeshare world in at least 8 years. Now I have a family and am back. Just read through a handful of threads and realized that I don't know anything anymore. Getting my feet wet again with my timeshare at San Clemente Inn. I will post a separate thread about the resort. (Will add here since Denise updated my title.)

My questions are this,...where can I go these days for a basic tutorial? What are TPU's? I'm assuming that means trade power units. How do you find what a weeks TPU is? Does TUG still do trade power tests? I have to rejoin RCI, are there any discounts? Bonus week incentives?

With respect to San Clemente Inn, I know that I'm waaaay too late for a summer week for 2016, but in the absence of a summer week, what week/weeks should I ask VRI to deposit for me for 2016? I'm going to pay my 2017 week tomorrow...Will I still get great trade power for the remaining weeks that are left for 2017? Also, how do you actually go about reserving a week these days?

Thanks

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
To find out what the TPU is, you have to log onto RCI, and use the tool provided there. However, if you post exactly what you are going to deposit, I'm sure someone will look it up for you: Resort/unit/date

You can ask for a Trading Power Test on the Sightings Forum (below Lounge.)

RCI has some tutorials. I think the most important concept is that the best practice is to put in an ongoing search as early as possible.

Don't know of any incentives.

*I added more info. to your title, to bring it to the notice of San Clemente Inn owners who may have more specific Info.

Last edited:

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much Denise!! I will add my questions about San Clemente Inn here then.

Waving to you Lisa H...

gthorson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Some of you might remember me as a former Administrator here on TUG. Long story short, I haven't been active in the timeshare world in at least 8 years. Now I have a family and am back. Just read through a handful of threads and realized that I don't know anything anymore. Getting my feet wet again with my timeshare at San Clemente Inn. I will post a separate thread about the resort. (Will add here since Denise updated my title.)

My questions are this,...where can I go these days for a basic tutorial? What are TPU's? I'm assuming that means trade power units. How do you find what a weeks TPU is? Does TUG still do trade power tests? I have to rejoin RCI, are there any discounts? Bonus week incentives?

With respect to San Clemente Inn, I know that I'm waaaay too late for a summer week for 2016, but in the absence of a summer week, what week/weeks should I ask VRI to deposit for me for 2016? I'm going to pay my 2017 week tomorrow...Will I still get great trade power for the remaining weeks that are left for 2017? Also, how do you actually go about reserving a week these days?

Thanks

Hi Dani! Welcome back! We've owned at many of the same resorts over the years. I might have even bought a week from you. :)

I was also gone for nearly eight years. The tools have changed a bit but the same lessons largely apply.

For RCI, there is no longer any need to do trade tests. The whole system is transparent. It's all about the TPUs.

To determine your trading power, log into RCI, select Home...Manage My Deposits...Deposit Calculator (far right side). It looks like your San Clemente week can get about 20/21 points for late in December 2016. As for 2017, it might max out about 29 points.

You might want to renew your RCI membership first, check the exact TPUs for San Clemente, then reserve your weeks with the resort, and finally deposit them with RCI.

You can also see how many TPUs it takes to exchange in. The same principles apply as before. Bulk spacebanked weeks are easy and cheap to pull.

One major new change is that any unused TPUs for a trade are now reserved for your future use. You can book another vacation with them and/or combine them (for about a $120 fee).

I'm not sure if there are any RCI membership incentives right now. Search this board to find out. Also call and ask them if they have anything. We've done plenty of business with them over the years. :)

Welcome back!
-Greg

Last edited:

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi Greg,

Yes, I think he did buy a timeshare for me. That was a lifetime ago. Thank you so much for the useful information. I will going to join RCI again and go from there. Also, thanks for the li yes, I think he did buy a timeshare for me. That was a lifetime ago. Thank you so much for the useful information. I will going to join RCI again and go from there. Also, thanks for the link. Much appreciated

Dori- thanks for the welcome back!

Hi Dani! Welcome back! We've owned at many of the same resorts over the years. I might have even bought a week from you. :)

I was also gone for nearly eight years. The tools have changed a bit but the same lessons largely apply.

For RCI, there is no longer any need to do trade tests. The whole system is transparent. It's all about the TPUs.

To determine your trading power, log into RCI, select Home...Manage My Deposits...Deposit Calculator (far right side). It looks like your San Clemente week can get about 20/21 points for late in December 2016. As for 2017, it might max out about 29 points.

You might want to renew your RCI membership first, check the exact TPUs for San Clemente, then reserve your weeks with the resort, and finally deposit them with RCI.

You can also see how many TPUs it takes to exchange in. The same principles apply as before. Bulk spacebanked weeks are easy and cheap to pull.

One major new change is that any unused TPUs for a trade are now reserved for your future use. You can book another vacation with them and/or combine them (for about a $120 fee).

I'm not sure if there are any RCI membership incentives right now. Search this board to find out. Also call and ask them if they have anything. We've done plenty of business with them over the years. :)

Welcome back!
-Greg

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI... I was able to book week 34. Strangely enough, weeks 33-37 are given 31 TPU's..more than the other summer weeks. Wasn't expecting that. I booked a November 2016 week..I could not get any later so lost trade power as it's beyond the 90 day window and got like 18 points.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Just an FYI... I was able to book week 34. Strangely enough, weeks 33-37 are given 31 TPU's..more than the other summer weeks. Wasn't expecting that. I booked a November 2016 week..I could not get any later so lost trade power as it's beyond the 90 day window and got like 18 points.

It may be too late to change that deposit...but for future reference...(more fees, but may be worth it depending on the TPU amount)

RCI Deposit Restore SM Guidelines

1.1. RCI Weeks Members who deposit a Week less than 271 days before the start date of such Week may receive a lower Deposit Trading Power for such Week in accordance with Trading Power Adjustment Schedule. The RCI Deposit Restore product allows RCI Weeks Members to deposit a Week less than 271 days before the start date of such Week (but at least 15 days prior to the start date of such Week) and receive the full Deposit Trading Power for such Week by purchasing the optional RCI Deposit Restore at the time of deposit. RCI Weeks Members whose Weeks are deposited by their resort and who wish to avail themselves of this option must purchase the RCI Deposit Restore product before the end of the next Business Day after receiving notice that the Week has been deposited by the resort into the member’s RCI account.

1.2. In order for an RCI Weeks Member to be eligible for the RCI Deposit Restore benefit, the applicable Weeks Membership must be current and paid in full at the time the RCI Deposit Restore benefit is requested.

1.3. Deposit Restore may be cancelled for a refund before the close of the next Business Day after the date of purchase. Upon cancellation of Deposit Restore the Deposit for which the Deposit Restore product was purchased will receive a Deposit Trading Power based on the date of the Deposit in accordance with the Trading Power Adjustment Schedule.

1.4. RCI in its sole discretion may waive or modify certain of these guidelines for RCI Members who are Platinum Members. Please see the RCI Platinum Membership Tier Rules for additional details.

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks Juanita. I actually did pay the $69 to restore the week to full power which was only 23 CPU's.