• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval confirmation mistake?

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had an ongoing request for a couple Carribean resorts. I was emailed a confirmation certificate at 2am this morning for an MFC plat week for this March. I get home from work and on my answering machine is a message from Interval (11 hours later) saying it was a mistake and I'm not confirmed for MFC. I don't trade often and was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and how common is this mistake. Not the end of the world but I'm still kinda pissed it took 11 hours to get in touch with me. I was already starting to book airfare and making calls to the people that travel with us giving them the dates and details.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Sometimes II discovers that the deposit has been cancelled at the other end - for instance: sold, foreclosed on, withdrawn by the resort, etc.

They probably discovered something when they were processing the exchange.

One option is to contact them and ask for a replacement - you can use the TUG II contact for that - see the 2nd sticky at the top of the Exchanging Forum.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks Denise. Who should I talk to? Marriott desk or regular Interval rep?

I would contact the TUG II Rep. - see the 2nd sticky at the top of the page.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes II discovers that the deposit has been cancelled at the other end - for instance: sold, foreclosed on, withdrawn by the resort, etc.

They probably discovered something when they were processing the exchange.

Can this really happen with a Marriott? Since Marriott allows II deposits without prepaying the maintenance fees I didn't think they took back the usage later due to non-payment or foreclosure. I know they won't give usage to a new owner if it was already deposited in II. My guess is II jumped the gun without the unit being fully confirmed. Or Marriott accidentally confirmed it and then it kicked out an error when II tried to change the name on the reservation.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Since it did happen, apparently it can really happen! :p

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since it did happen, apparently it can really happen! :p

My point was that I doubt it can be due to "sold, foreclosed, or withdrawn by the resort". Once they confirm a valid deposit then it's final. Someone at II or Marriott made a mistake. It seems to be happening a lot lately.

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I talked to someone from Interval and was told that what happened was that the MFC week that was confirmed to me was "cancelled out of the system the same time it was trying to match my request" whatever that means. They apologized for everything and said there was nothing they could do. I sent an email to the TUG rep at Interval. I'll let you know what happens

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Perhaps the OP was using a 1BR or smaller unit and the were supposed to call to have them pay the upgrade fee instead of just the auto match?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interval's system has numerous flaws and holes due to carelessness.

Here is one of many examples:

One time I made a dual lock-off deposit that warranted two AC's. The deposit is supposed to be confirmed by the resort but apparently the AC's are automatically given after a certain number of days. My deposit was rejected by the resort. I received a post card in the mail stating that I had x number of days to rectify why the resort did not approve of my deposit. (It boggles my mind why a post card is sent rather than an email and maybe the postcard too just in case someone stuck in yesteryear doesn't use a computer) Then I get the two AC's in my account before the deadline to rectify. Once the deadline hit the AC's were taken back out of my account. I speculate that my deposits actually hit exchange inventory the same time that I received the AC's. The lag was a day or even less than 24 hours. If anyone was matched to my deposit they would have had the exact same experience the OP is describing.

It is a mystery why a company is big as II continues to run so inefficiently. In my example, that could very well explain the OP's issue, all they had to do was add one more day before the deposits hit the match queue. They are probably lazily letting the system add deposits to the queue that don't exist unless someone hits the cancel button before x number of days.

I am speculating here but it makes sense.

Last edited:

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the OP was using a 1BR or smaller unit and the were supposed to call to have them pay the upgrade fee instead of just the auto match?
I'm using a deposited 2br MFC Plat week searching for a 2br MFC Plat week or a 2br MAO Plat week. I was confirmed for a MFC Plat week, then 11 hours later unconfirmed...:shrug:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm using a deposited 2br MFC Plat week searching for a 2br MFC Plat week or a 2br MAO Plat week. I was confirmed for a MFC Plat week, then 11 hours later unconfirmed...:shrug:

As soon as you are confirmed II tries to change the Marriott reservation to your name. They couldn't because the reservation did not exist. Once they find out they scramble to cancel your confirmed exchange. "Canceled out of the system" means it was never supposed to be there to begin with. It is hard to know if Marriott accidentally confirmed a reservation that did not exist or II added a deposit not yet confirmed but the end result for you is the same.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
As soon as you are confirmed II tries to change the Marriott reservation to your name. They couldn't because the reservation did not exist. Once they find out they scramble to cancel your confirmed exchange. "Canceled out of the system" means it was never supposed to be there to begin with.

The thing is, II doesn't send the new guest details to Marriott except through an overnight process. That is why you can often not see the confirmation in your name on Marriott.com until the next day. So I don't know how they would have found out mid day that the reservation for the underlying week wasn't really there.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The thing is, II doesn't send the new guest details to Marriott except through an overnight process. That is why you can often not see the confirmation in your name on Marriott.com until the next day. So I don't know how they would have found out mid day that the reservation for the underlying week wasn't really there.

Perhaps because it was matched at 2am and then sent to Marriott that same night for confirm. They get the rejection notice from Marriott in the morning and then get around to calling the OP later in the day. Or maybe II made the mistake without Marriott's help. In either case II messed up. You don't want to confirm an exchange while cancelling it at the same time.

Last edited:

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, I just got off the phone with the II rep who left the cancellation message yesterday. It seems the owner of the relinquished week submitted the wrong dates when he deposited his week. He submitted 3/4/17 to 3/11/17 when his reservation was for 3/17/17 to 3/24/17. The computer didn't pick up the mistake in time which is why I was confirmed for 3/4/17. Once a live body at II realized the mistake they cancelled the transaction. The II rep said I should have been told that the actual week I was matched with was for 3/17/17, which is what he just told me now. So as of now I'm confirmed with a 3/17/17 MFC week :clap:.
Btw, thank you Denise for putting me in touch with Mark the TUG II rep. He replied to me this morning and said he was looking into my problem. I asked the II rep if he was contacted by Mark and he said yes. I'm thinking Mark had something to do with this being resolved so quickly. TUG is lucky to have this guy as a Rep/advocate/liaison :)

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Mark has been outstanding to work with-in my experience.

I understand that large companies like II and RCI will make mistakes, but having a direct contact (like the TUG email!) certainly makes the mistakes easier to deal with. Especially when I make the mistake. :ignore:

Very happy it worked out for you. I'm trying to set up a 5d/4n owner review at MFC and work keeps getting in my way.