• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So disappointed with Interval

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, got it, that makes sense for deposits for cruise exchanges. Thank you for explaining that. Although anyone who uses their deposit to "exchange" for a cruise with II isn't really doing their homework in comparing prices with the major cruise consolidators. Especially with so many of the cruise lines offering different perks... including tips, drink packages, etc. I bet those perks never come up if you exchange for a cruise with Interval. What incentive would there be for II to offer those perks?

But getting back to the subject on hand, how do we know it is only limited to deposits for cruise exchanges?

I did do a cruise exchange and it knocked off about $850-900, which covered the MF, II exchange fee and the "lost" perks. They did throw in 2 specialty dining vouchers. It came to be about a wash, not bad since I have too many timeshare weeks and the MF is "sunk" cost.

hsintang

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it really necessary to keep going on and on arguing why someone doesn't have a "right" to exchange a $1 worthless timeshare for something that might cost thousands? It's silliness.

Well, I started this tread simply want to share my disappointing experience with II. I took dominidude's suggestion, emailed Mark DelCampo at II and asked for withdrawing my deposited week. He called within a few hours and indicated that my summer S. Cal coast studio was assigned to the highest power and my 2017 week was taken right after I deposited so he won't be able to return it back. He did mentioned that "brand name" owners have the priorities to exchange for their own brand and recommended me to search often :shrug:
I felt that II prioritizes the brand higher than demand/trade power. Do I want to go to Shadow Ridge at Palm Spring in the summer or Timber lodge at Lake Tahoe in May? No. Those weeks have the lowest demands, however, those deposits will pull other Marriott weeks before the "generic" ones.
The low season brand name week is no expensive than my summer week in California coast. I learned my lesson and will only play within II as a Marriott owner.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Well, I started this tread simply want to share my disappointing experience with II. I took dominidude's suggestion, emailed Mark DelCampo at II and asked for withdrawing my deposited week back. He called within a few hours and indicated that my summer S. Cal coast studio was assigned to the highest power. However, my 2017 summer week was taken right after I deposited so he won't be able to return it back. He did mentioned that "brand name" owners have the priorities to exchange for their own brand and recommended me to search often :shrug:
I felt that II prioritizes the brand higher than demand/trade power. Do I want to go to Shadow Ridge at Palm Spring in the summer or Timber lodge at Lake Tahoe in May? No. Those weeks have the lowest demands, however, those deposits will pull other Marriott weeks before the "generic" ones.
The low season brand name week is no expensive than my summer week in California coast. I learned my lesson and will only play within II as a Marriott owner.

Just so you know the studio /size discrimination happens with Marriott too. A whale season Hawaii Marriott studio is going to have trouble pulling a summer season 2 br at Marriott's New Jersey and it isn't even on the beach. Even with priority it may not have enough pull to see it. It may well make it past priority where 2br non rated Branson unit can book it. My experience with a Marriott studio (although only a platinum Branson) would be that it could pull any Marriott studio in and out of priority, It could pull most 1 br Marriott's in all but the most prime resorts and seasons. It could only pull 2 br Marriott's in the deadest of dead off season. The two seasons you mentioned may not be low enough- maybe the first 2 weeks in May in Tahoe and more like September in the desert when schools are back in session but it is still too hot.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Well, I started this tread simply want to share my disappointing experience with II. I took dominidude's suggestion, emailed Mark DelCampo at II and asked for withdrawing my deposited week back. He called within a few hours and indicated that my summer S. Cal coast studio was assigned to the highest power. However, my 2017 summer week was taken right after I deposited so he won't be able to return it back. He did mentioned that "brand name" owners have the priorities to exchange for their own brand and recommended me to search often :shrug:

If you're not trying to trade up in size, I'm surprised you're having trouble finding something you like with a prime summer SoCal beach studio week. We trade our Hyatt unit (which contrary to what most non-Hyatt owners think, has no preference in II, all Hyatt-to-Hyatt trades are conducted via HRC) studio a lot and have gotten really good trades with it.

Maybe the difference is that we rarely need school holiday weeks. But I would think an OGS would have a good chance of picking up Hyatts or the high quality independents.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
OP, I just looked with a Hyatt studio (which remember has no preference in II) and searching next summer's school holiday (June 15-Aug 25), I see available studio units in Aruba, St Martin, lots of nice resorts in Mexico, Tahoe, Washington State, Idaho, Park City, Brian Head/Southern Utah, Sedona, Williamsburg, Lakes District of England, California Mtns, and more that I have not listed, not knowing what you're interested in.

I'm sure options would be better with an on-going search.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

A few things you should know:

First of all: I apologize (I'm sure that others will agree) for hijacking your OP. It was not my intent. You had a reasonable question/issue and I hope we can help you find a way to 'fix' your problem.
so....

• Not all Marriotts (can't speak for other brands, but I'm pretty sure Westin as well) are released into II with 'preference.' I have TESTED this and can positively guarantee you that I can see Marriotts (outside of flex) with non-Marriott properties. This includes units a year or more out. It's not the rule--it's the exception--but it happens somewhat frequently.
  • There is indeed a definite stigma associated with studios in II (IMHO). If you're trying to turn studios (no matter how good) into multiple weeks, prime weeks, larger units etc... than I personally feel that you might be better with RCI TPU trading. Marriott studios can be leveraged with preference, and may even do better now with the upgrade fee (discouraging exchangers from always upgrading).
  • Don't forget: the real beauty of II is being able to slap a pig's ear studio down in flex and walk away with a pearl (again, IMO--I'll stop saying it now). This is really amplified with preference.
  • There are many discussions about OGS vs instant exchange. I always use OGS--mind you, I might try request first just for fun--but I also always back it up with instant exchange searches. Especially near the important dates (1 yr, 6 mos, 3 mos, 70 days, 59 days etc...) when people may deposit units (YMMV).
Finally, I think II is a bit of a kooky machine. Just when you think you have it all figured out...1) They change the rules 2)Something marvelous drops from the sky in the middle of the afternoon 3) Your OGS matches in 1 day--so you change it to improve--and it matches in 1 week... etc.

I do agree with one thing: II is a crapshoot and the house always wins in the end. But, if you count your cards--you might just take some winnings home yourself! (Corny, I know, but I think it's true.) Go figure

Good luck and keep watching. Plus, if you really find something you want, drop a request in the sightings forum and people will help. We can even do 'power' tests and see what pulls what.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
It's not agree to disagree. It's that you are making stuff up. Not sure why but at this point you're just trolling.

He inadvertently admitted that it didn't exist. Twice.

I agree with your statement, at this point all this poster is doing is trolling. why continue to go on and on about this elusive document and pretend to have inside knowledge when obviously this document does not exist...

I just don't want new folks thinking this is how it works....

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
hsintang:
Have you set up your Ongoing Search yet?
That will be the action that helps you the most. You can keep editing the ongoing search as your travel needs become more defined. You can put multiple resorts and multiple dates into the one search.

Second, you will have to search online as often as possible.

Third, watch the Sightings board. When a large number of weeks at a particular resort are suddenly deposited into II (bulk deposit), that is a likely time for you to match, when you otherwise wouldn't have enough trade power.

Please tell us what weeks (dates) you are searching for. I remember you told me Washington's Birthday week. Is that the week that includes Monday, Feb 20? If so, the Thursday before that is Feb 16.

And when is your school's Easter break or Spring break for 2017?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Mods, please delete any refrence to my secret document, thanks.

That's not how it works - Moderators edit posts because they do not comply with the forum rules, not just because the poster regrets their statements.

In fact, a limit was placed on the the amount of time you have to edit your post, because of situations exactly like this, in which posters made claims, and then went back and deleted them all, when it became clear that public opinion was against them.

FYI: You aren't doing your credibility on TUG any good here...

Last edited:

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's not how it works - Moderators edit posts because they do not comply with the forum rules, not just because the poster regrets their statements.

In fact, a limit was placed on the the amount of time you have to edit your post, because of situations exactly like this, in which posters made claims, and then went back and deleted them all, when it became clear that public opinion was against them.

FYI: You aren't doing your credibility on TUG any good here...

DeniseM:
This secret document of mine, which does exist, and I am not sharing, seems to have taken a life of its own, even when I have posted other public information which says the same thing.

In other bulletin boards, such as job hunting bbs, it is quite common to say that one has access to information that will not be uploaded, and to give only parts of it, for the benefit of those reading the posts, and it is to up to individuals reading the posts to make up their own mind as to the truth in it. No mods are questioning the veracity of what is said. I thought this forum was similar to that, but I was wrong.

From now on, I'll just use already public documents, and make no reference to private information I may have.

I have no desire to retract anything I've said, both because it is the truth and needed to be said.
But the fact is that people, such as yourself, keep asking me to upload a document which I've said multiple times i'm not going to upload.

This is simply a detraction, kinda like saying that the bearer of bad news is wearing a funny hat and therefore shouldnt be trusted. That is the only reason I've asked for the deletion of comment regarding my private inormation.

So, it makes no difference to me, believe or dont, I still maintain the veracity of what I've said, only with the hope that others may benefit.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
DeniseM:
This secret document of mine, which does exist, and I am not sharing, seems to have taken a life of its own.

Yes, it has, because YOU have posted about it over, and over, and over.

People are not buying it because:

-Your secret info. does not agree with the experience of Tuggers.

-Your interpretation of the info. you post is not logical - you spin it to try to support your theories, which others don't agree with.

-You have been on a mission to promote your own exchange company schemes, which somehow goes hand-in-hand with proving how unfair II is.

Let me clarify one thing - this is not a distraction from your "message" - in simplest terms: I don't believe you.

Last edited:

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
However, my 2017 summer week was taken right after I deposited so he won't be able to return it back.
I learned my lesson and will only play within II as a Marriott owner.

I'm sorry to hear about your week being taken and being able to be returned.

Being a Marriott owner, as others have said, will not necessarily give you what you are looking for.
Studio /size discrimination happens with Marriott too, and also, you will have a Branson unit, which I understand is not a strong Marriott trader.

I think sptung's strategy will most likely give you what you are looking for, for example, trading a 1bdr in a highly desirable resort in a highly desirable season, but, that wont come cheap, because a unit like that usually costs thousands of dollars, has relatively high MFs, and to trade into a 2 bdr you have to pay size upgrade fees.

II bills itself as "the quality vacation exchange network" but to me it seems they meant to say expensive instead of quality.

Good luck.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes it has, because YOU have posted about it over, and over, and over.

People are not buying it because:

-Your secret info. does not agree with the experience of Tuggers.

-Your interpretation of the info. you post is not logical - you spin it to try to support your theories, which others don't agree with.

-You have been on a mission to promote your own exchange company schemes, which somehow goes hand-in-hand with proving how unfair II is.

Let me clarify one thing - this is not a distraction from your "message" - in simplest terms: I don't believe you.

I posted this information twice (really, just twice). It was referred to in multiple places, but only because others keep referring to it and questioning it. I honestly did not think it would be challenged the way it was.

I do not have an exchange company or scheme, or even a desire for one. that is just plain inaccurate. I've said multiple times that RCI, DAE, TPI, SFX, they are all fine. II is not ok though, unless you know what you are doing. II actively hides information from its members with the purpose of minimizing the trades that members can make.

You not believing what I say, I'm fine with that, but remember, you are a mod, and because of that you should go out of your way to not minimize what I, or anyone, says.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You not believing what I say, I'm fine with that, but remember, you are a mod, and because of that you should go out of your way to not minimize what I, or anyone, says.

Hello - read the room - no one is buying your theories supported by a secret document that you won't reveal - even privately.

And yes, I (or any Mod) can certainly dispute it when questionable info. is posted on TUG - happens every day.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I'm sorry to hear about your week being taken and being able to be returned.

Being a Marriott owner, as others have said, will not necessarily give you what you are looking for.
Studio /size discrimination happens with Marriott too, and also, you will have a Branson unit, which I understand is not a strong Marriott trader.

I think sptung's strategy will most likely give you what you are looking for, for example, trading a 1bdr in a highly desirable resort in a highly desirable season, but, that wont come cheap, because a unit like that usually costs thousands of dollars, has relatively high MFs, and to trade into a 2 bdr you have to pay size upgrade fees.

II bills itself as "the quality vacation exchange network" but to me it seems they meant to say expensive instead of quality.

Good luck.
Just curious what your personal trading experience in II has been? Many of us have provided first hand experience for the OP. What is yours?

No matter what your super-secret-mystery "document" says, the truth lies in what people are actually getting in trades. I'll be at Newport Coast in a few weeks on a studio trade. After that I'll be in Hawaii, one week in an RCI trade, the next in another II trade to Ko Olina. I'm not trading Branson, but many here do it regularly. I believe that the OP will be happy with their trades. The studio limitation is what it is. It's not the end of the world, that's for sure. And both sides of a lockout can get a Choose2 week. For best results learn the system.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello - read the room - no one is buying your theories supported by a secret document that you won't reveal - even privately.

And yes, I (or any Mod) can certainly dispute it when questionable info. is posted on TUG - happens every day.

I will one day post that document, when someone else posts it online.
I only hope you take back all your comments when/if that happens.
The OP certainly bought my theory that his 2017 week could have been returned, had someone else not already taken it. Here on TUG, I've read multiple times advice, I believe from mods, stating that once a week is deposited, it can not be taken back.

And I've quoted public documents from II. I'm not sure how anyone can say that is "questionable info". It's not like I paraphrased, I quoted, word for word.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious what your personal trading experience in II has been? Many of us have provided first hand experience for the OP. What is yours?

No matter what your super-secret-mystery "document" says, the truth lies in what people are actually getting in trades. I'll be at Newport Coast in a few weeks on a studio trade. After that I'll be in Hawaii, one week in an RCI trade, the next in another II trade to Ko Olina. I'm not trading Branson, but many here do it regularly. I believe that the OP will be happy with their trades. The studio limitation is what it is. It's not the end of the world, that's for sure. And both sides of a lockout can get a Choose2 week. For best results learn the system.

That is the reason I wanted my secret document references deleted.

Did you read my comments regarding the II membership application and the II buyers' guide?
Let me guess, the comments about my super-secret-mistery "document" detracted you from reading that.
And like you said, you're not trading Branson. Guess what, I would be.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is a really easy question - does your secret brochure look more like A or more like B: (Format, not content.)

A
Penrith%20Brochure.png

B
3767-thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
That is the reason I wanted my secret document references deleted.

Did you read my comments regarding the II membership application and the II buyers' guide?
Let me guess, the comments about my super-secret-mistery "document" detracted you from reading that.
And like you said, you're not trading Branson. Guess what, I would be.

I'm trading a mid level Palm Desert Marriott. I would think that it's similar to a Branson Marriott. Trust me, I'm not trading any high power trader.

And I have read your posts. I'm not distracted by your document at all. (Honestly, I don't care if it's real or imagined. Whatever floats your boat). I just think that real life trading experiences are the most helpful to the OP.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
The OP certainly bought my theory that his 2017 week could have been returned, had someone else not already taken it. Here on TUG, I've read multiple times advice, I believe from mods, stating that once a week is deposited, it can not be taken back.

The OP maybe bought your theory that his/her 2017 week could be returned. But in the end, the week was not returned. The fact that Interval explained the reason why his/her week couldn't be returned does not mean that, had circumstances been different, the week *would* have been returned.

All it means is that a customer service rep took his time to respond to OPs query.

So I see no reason to believe that a week deposited to an exchange company could be returned. Just as is oft repeated on TUG.

I'm not sure how you believe OP's lack of success in getting the week back is proof that it's possible. However, it does suggest to me that the logic that underlies a lot of your positions/arguments is perhaps not the strongest.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
The OP maybe bought your theory that his/her 2017 week could be returned. But in the end, the week was not returned. The fact that Interval explained the reason why his/her week couldn't be returned does not mean that, had circumstances been different, the week *would* have been returned.

All it means is that a customer service rep took his time to respond to OPs query.

So I see no reason to believe that a week deposited to an exchange company could be returned. Just as is oft repeated on TUG.

I'm not sure how you believe OP's lack of success in getting the week back is proof that it's possible. However, it does suggest to me that the logic that underlies a lot of your positions/arguments is perhaps not the strongest.

Would you like me to post a screen shot of my cancelled deposit? (Apparently you can't just make assertions in this bbs without "proof")
II had my deposit from OCT 2015 and cancelled it in Apri 2016l, that's 6 moths it was in deposit.
So yes, had the situation been different, the OP could have gotten their week back.
Notice that I'm not saying II will always do this, or that members are entitled to this, just that II can do it and has done it.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Sadly, I think the OP was last seen drifting out to sea with no signs of activity.

hsintang: maybe you should start a new thread in exchanging or Marriott that might assist you with your very real vacation concerns.

I'm sure others would be glad to help.... I'd abandon all hope of getting any real support in this thread, it seems that, like Frankenstein's monster, this thread has a life of it's own and was last seen wandering down a road to purgatory.

cheers.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sadly, I think the OP was last seen drifting out to sea with no signs of activity.

hsintang: maybe you should start a new thread in exchanging or Marriott that might assist you with your very real vacation concerns.

I agree. As someone who has posted thread in the past asking for help only to have several pages of back and forth posts that had nothing to do with my OP, I feel for the OP. I hope they got all their concerns answered.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a really easy question - does your secret brochure look more like A or more like B: (Format, not content.)

A
Penrith%20Brochure.png

B
3767-thumbnail.jpg

Format A.
Here's an easy question for you:
Will you take back what you've said if/when I find the brochure online? Since this may never happen, I hope you are not too proud to say you will take it all back.
But I am in amazement that you seem to ignore my comments regarding the II membership application that I did upload.
Both my brochure an the II membership application say the same thing, so the infatuation with my private information escapes me.

In other words, could you please explain what the difference is between what I've explained my brochure says and what the iI membership application says?

Last edited: