• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

News article discusses common scams - directs owners to TUG

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

bobby

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know how the average resale price is $9,000 when you can't even give them away.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I'd like to know how the average resale price is $9,000 when you can't even give them away.

And only 20% of resales below $1,000 ???????????

"Average resale price in last three years $9,000, with 20 percent below $1,000"

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yea, im not sure where some of the resale facts come from....but noones perfect =)

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
A rather interesting quote at the end of the article from Rosemary Nye, president and CEO of the Better Business Bureau of Greater Hampton Roads, where she "suggests if you have been unsuccessful in selling your timeshare, consider donating it to charity - if the charity will accept it."

She also said, "Then you can at least write off a portion of your investment as a charitable donation." :shrug:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Totally inaccurate...

She also said, "Then you can at least write off a portion of your investment as a charitable donation." :shrug:

Rosemary should have just quit talking a bit sooner, as this particular gratuitous snippet is both very misleading (no charities are accepting timeshares) and also totally incorrect in terms of tax deduction(s).

Don't quit your day job, Rosemary....:rolleyes:

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
We should bundle our unwanted timeshares as junk bonds and sell them to the Chinese.

GHT

Reaction score

I have no idea where the $9000 number came from, but if you look at eBay the typical resale price is $1. That's right "ONE DOLLAR".

I think it's because people just want out of the maintenance fees when they are no longer able to use the timeshare.

The best analogy to buying a timeshare is buying a membership in a gym or fitness club that has a huge non-refundable initiation fee (purchase price) and then an annual membership fee (maintenance fee) that goes on forever. And they still want your money every year even if you are no longer able to use the timeshare.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Typical" on eBay is not "typical" throughout the entire resale marketplace...

I have no idea where the $9000 number came from, but if you look at eBay the typical resale price is $1. That's right "ONE DOLLAR".

I certainly agree 100% that the $9,000 figure cited within the article is both completely unsubstantiated and likely very inaccurate (...on the high side). Prime, winter weeks in Key West, FL at the Hyatts might command those numbers, but otherwise these days numbers that high are certainly not the norm.

On the other hand, eBay is certainly not a particularly broad or representative benchmark for market-wide resale selling prices either. Historically and consistently, eBay has the lowest resale timeshare selling prices to be found anywhere on the planet and, certainly more often than not, perhaps not exactly the best quality inventory either.

In any case, it's still good that the article refers readers here to TUG, even if some of the figures cited within the article are highly suspect (at best).