• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Did not receive the unit I reserved.

jc92869

TUG Member
Reaction score
Family and I reserved a 3 bedroom unit (through RCI) at a Socal resort. When we checked in there was a faint smell of gas. Maitenance checked it out and could not fix it. Only other unit available was a two bedroom. This new unit did not fit my family's needs and we had to ask some of our guests to not come because of the lack of room.

Would I be out of line to ask the resort to give us a voucher to come back to the resort? Would this be better handled if I reached out toRCI? I dont want to be petty, butI feel I didnt get what I paid for.

Mods feel free to move this post if its not in the right forum.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You should have contacted RCI immediately when you were given a smaller unit than you were confirmed for. I'd contact RCI and they may provide some compensation but its doubtful the resort will provide a return stay.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, RCI is your recourse. Most timeshare properties do not own inventory in order to have the flexibility to provide future stay compensation. RCI on the other hand has plenty.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel you need to call RCI "asap" and ask them to call the resort about your problem.

Good luck.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The RCI instructions ask you to call them immediately if you are unable to check-in, so you are late on this - don't delay any further.

travelplus

Reaction score
Family and I reserved a 3 bedroom unit (through RCI) at a Socal resort. When we checked in there was a faint smell of gas. Maitenance checked it out and could not fix it. Only other unit available was a two bedroom. This new unit did not fit my family's needs and we had to ask some of our guests to not come because of the lack of room.

Would I be out of line to ask the resort to give us a voucher to come back to the resort? Would this be better handled if I reached out toRCI? I dont want to be petty, butI feel I didnt get what I paid for.

Mods feel free to move this post if its not in the right forum.

As others have stated you must call RCI if you are not happy with your unit at the time of the problem.

If I were in your situation I would tell the Manager that I'm not happy with the offer to downgrade me to a smaller unit. I have guests who purchased non-refundable airfare and are in the air as we speak. Please call RCI and find us a better resort with 3 bedrooms.

The resort has to find you a solution whether at its sister properties or via RCI and even pay for transportation and other incidentals.

What is the reason why the gas leak cannot be fixed? Do you have it in writing that your unit was inhabitable due to a maintenance issue? If not ask for it in writing.

Hope you find a solution and please let us know what happens.

You should have never told your guests not to come because its not your fault or their fault its the responsibility of the resort to find you a solution.

I always make up the story"I have guests in the air as we speak" so that the resort knows that they cannot return home and have purchased expensive tickets to get to the destination. It works like a charm. Even if the guests are local so flippin what the resort has to give us the same size room that we reserved. Just my 2 cents.

geekette

Reaction score
As others have stated you must call RCI if you are not happy with your unit at the time of the problem.

If I were in your situation I would tell the Manager that I'm not happy with the offer to downgrade me to a smaller unit. I have guests who purchased non-refundable airfare and are in the air as we speak. Please call RCI and find us a better resort with 3 bedrooms.

The resort has to find you a solution whether at its sister properties or via RCI and even pay for transportation and other incidentals.

What is the reason why the gas leak cannot be fixed? Do you have it in writing that your unit was inhabitable due to a maintenance issue? If not ask for it in writing.

Hope you find a solution and please let us know what happens.

You should have never told your guests not to come because its not your fault or their fault its the responsibility of the resort to find you a solution.

I always make up the story"I have guests in the air as we speak" so that the resort knows that they cannot return home and have purchased expensive tickets to get to the destination. It works like a charm. Even if the guests are local so flippin what the resort has to give us the same size room that we reserved. Just my 2 cents.

this is bad advice. Aside from lying to people trying to help you, the resort has no obligation to help you with anything, your contract is with RCI. I don't think they are going to pay your cab fare - is there some provision for that in the small print? No, I didn't think so.

I agree that you shouldn't have told your friends to stay home. RCI deals with this kind of thing and if they couldn't find one big unit they could probably find 2 smallers ones to accomodate your party.

Please don't follow advice to make up stories. Honesty is always a better way to go.