• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental Advice

LAST MINUTE RENTAL POSTING LIMITS
You may offer or request weeks beginning no later than
May 31, 2024
Maximum asking price in public posts is $800/week or $115/day

torontobuyer

Reaction score
I'd like to open up the conversation about the posted advice about renting a timeshare (verify).

And don't want this thread to go with no comments for over a year.

Here's what bothers me. If I only do #3 and #5, as suggested as a minimum. Seems to me I can get scammed for $100 very easily. Because #3 can easily be fabricated, and you won't know that until you've already sent the $100 and move onto #5.

What about only offering to pay that $100 (or more, or even the whole rental) to the TS location onto the account of the owner? They aren't getting cash in hand, but they won't have to lay out that cash in future. At least this way I'd be sure it's not a scammer and the owner can confirm the money was really paid.

Seems to me, while there will always be owners that will balk at this, but if they take the time to look at the renters point of view, it does make sense. As there is nothing about doing a transaction this way that an owner should be afraid of.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It doesn't work that way. The resort isn't managing your rental so they won't take deposits for you. If you use paypal, you can open a dispute if there is a problem and you don't get your reservation.

If you don't trust the owner, insist on using escrow. Many owners won't rent to you because of the added expense and time to get their money. It doesn't mean that they are scammers. Some will accept the request to use escrow. So if that is what you need than do it or rent directly from the resort.

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I offer to reserve the unit in the renter's name and have them verify the reservation with the resort before sending me money via PayPal. This way they have some guarantee that a valid owner made the reservation before sending any money.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
What about only offering to pay that $100 (or more, or even the whole rental) to the TS location onto the account of the owner?

Resorts do not get involved in an owner's private rental - at all.

If the resort provides a rental service, the owner turns their week over to the resort, and the resort handles is completely. However, that means that the resort takes a high percentage of the rent, and they may not rent your week at all.

The consumer who rents the week, pays the resort the full market rate for the rental, so they lose the advantage of renting from a private owner at a discount.

Honestly, a legitimate timeshare OWNER is not going to rip you off, because there is no way for them to get away with it.

The people you have to worry about are pure scammers - they don't even own a timeshare and they are simply stealing money from people. However, they are very easy to spot, because once you start checking them out - they don't pass muster.

Someone else asked about the "dangers" of private rentals just a few days ago:

I wrote the article: "How to verify that a rental is Legit, when you are the renter." That article has a list of 8 things you can do, to make sure the rental is safe. If you follow those suggestions, you shouldn't have any problem.

*You can use a credit card with Paypal, and that gives you the double protection of Paypal and your Credit Card.

I suggested not asking for escrow because:

• It's expensive

• Many owners (including me) will not accept escrow, because it means they must wait until after the rental to get paid. (That usually means I have to pay the maintenance fee months before I get paid.)

• When someone requests escrow, I politely decline the rental and move on to someone else.

• There are owners who will accept escrow, but many of them will not, and requiring escrow will limit your rental options, because of that.​

The reason it's safer to rent from Tuggers is that you have to be a registered and paid TUG member to advertise here. In other words, you have to provide all your contact info. to TUG, and usually a credit card/debit card number or Paypal Acct., to make the payment. Scammers will not provide that kind of info., because they don't want to get caught, so they post on sites where you can post without registration.

I've read horror stories of folks getting confirmation from the resort and then showing up to find out that the owner changed the name on the reservation. So I'm paranoid now. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Honestly - I have never heard of this happening, and believe me, if it was, we would hear about it on TUG. The reason this doesn't happen is that it would be a stupid thing for an owner to do, because they couldn't get away with it:

• The resort has all of their owner's info. and certainly would not look kindly on criminal activities taking place on their property.

• You, as the renter, should have all of the owner's info., making it easy to take action.

• It would ruin the owner's reputation in the timeshare community, and they would never be able to rent again.

• It makes no sense to steal from one person, and ruin your opportunity to rent many times in the future.​

This is what I suggest to my nervous renters:

-Call the resort and confirm your reservation before making your final payment.
-Call again once a month to be sure the reservation is in your name.
-Call again one week before check-in.
-Call again the day before check-in.

The chance of an actual owner scamming you are extremely slim - actual owners have too much to lose. The people you have to worry about are not timeshare owners at all.

The people to watch out for are simply scammers who pretend to have rentals that don't even exist. Fortunately, they are easy to spot if you use my check-list because they don't really have any rentals, so they fail the verification test.

Last edited:

torontobuyer

Reaction score
It doesn't work that way. The resort isn't managing your rental so they won't take deposits for you. If you use paypal, you can open a dispute if there is a problem and you don't get your reservation.

If you don't trust the owner, insist on using escrow. Many owners won't rent to you because of the added expense and time to get their money. It doesn't mean that they are scammers. Some will accept the request to use escrow. So if that is what you need than do it or rent directly from the resort.

I was suggesting the $100 deposit payment was being presented to the resort on the owners account (such as prepaid MF) not mentioning anything about a rental. Are you saying a TS would refuse this?

While I personally like Paypal for buying. There are tons of people that the very moment you mention paying with Paypal, they think they are getting scammed. Because if a buyer starts a charge back (which can be done within 45 days) the owner gets nothing.

I offer to reserve the unit in the renter's name and have them verify the reservation with the resort before sending me money via PayPal. This way they have some guarantee that a valid owner made the reservation before sending any money.

I'd probably rent from you. However, again, as mentioned above, if someday someone does a charge back on you, I doubt you will continue this.

Resorts do not get involved in an owner's rental - at all.

Honestly, a legitimate timeshare OWNER is not going to rip you off, because there is no way for them to get away with it.

The people you have to worry about are pure scammers - they don't even own a timeshare and they are simply stealing money from people. However, they are very easy to spot, because once you start checking them out - they don't pass muster.

All agreed, was never suggesting otherwise. My point is you risk $100 just to ferret out this information. If the $100 could instead be paid to the TS, there's no risk, because like you said, a legitimate owner is not going to rip you off. And a scammer won't want anything paid to the TS, but a legitimate owner shouldn't have a problem with that.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I was suggesting the $100 deposit payment was being presented to the resort on the owners account (such as prepaid MF) not mentioning anything about a rental. Are you saying a TS would refuse this?

Toronto Buyer - The resort will not get involved in the owners private rental - period. They will not accept payments from a stranger, on an owner's account. There is no mechanism is place for this kind of payment. Not only that, but if the rental fell through, how would you get the deposit back? The resort certainly isn't going to refund money from an owner's account to a stranger. Sorry - but that is completely impractical.

There are much easier ways to verify that the owner, is the owner:

1. Talk to the owner on the phone - get a feel for who they are.
2. Request a notarized rental contract.
3. Ask the owner to email or Fax you a copy of their original reservation confirmation.
4. Ask the owner to set it up with the resort so you can call and confirm the reservation.
5. Ask if you can pay a $100 deposit, get the confirmation in your name, and then pay the Bal.
6. Ask the owner to send you a copy of their deed, with their personal info. blacked out.

Last edited:

CharlesS

TUG Member
Reaction score
What if owner is in a Vacation Club

You stated:
1. Talk to the owner on the phone - get a feel for who they are.
2. Request a notarized rental contract.
3. Ask the owner to email or Fax you a copy of their original reservation confirmation.
4. Ask the owner to set it up with the resort so you can call and confirm the reservation.
5. Ask if you can pay a $100 deposit, get the confirmation in your name, and then pay the Bal.
6. Ask the owner to send you a copy of their deed, with their personal info. blacked out.

How would you suggest using #6 if the "owner" belongs to a Vacation Club and their "deed" may be either for a different unit/week or even a different resort?

Charles

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How would you suggest using #6 if the "owner" belongs to a Vacation Club and their "deed" may be either for a different unit/week or even a different resort?

Charles

Please note that I don't recommend doing ALL of these things - 2 or 3 of them should be sufficient, and that is just ONE of the options.

This statement appears right above that list:
Then - I would do no more than 2 or 3 of the following steps.... I do only #3 and #5 when I rent. If the person is not a TUG member, I would do one more step.

Last edited:
LAST MINUTE RENTAL POSTING LIMITS
You may offer or request weeks beginning no later than
May 31, 2024
Maximum asking price in public posts is $800/week or $115/day