• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Airfare to Puerto Vallarta

Asl18940

Reaction score
We are planning our trip next Thanksgiving, and were shocked that airfare has gone up over 33% for a flight from the northeast US to PVR. The flights that are somewhat civilized (i.e., not more than 1 stop and not during ungodly hours) seem to run about $3200 this year, up from $2400 or so last year. Does anyone have any strategies they could suggest such as known cheap routes from a city to PVR. Then we could try to find a cheap flight to that city. It hasn't worked for San Fran, LA, Phoenix, Dallas or Houston. So I thought I'd see if others have found a better way to maneuver. Thanks. :shrug:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What has the price at your local gas station done in the similar time frame? Up about a third? Thought so.The airlines are being hit the same way. Fuel is their largest expense. Fuel price goes down, seat prices will, too. Fuel stays high, look for high airfares.

Jim

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
One issue is that Frontier has not opened their schedule beyond Nov 14th yet. That is our airline of choice to Mexico, but right now there is less competition for a lot of Mexican destinations for the holidays.

Not sure when they will extend their schedule, but hopefully that will provide some additional options and maybe spur some competitive pricing.

Kurt

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
We are planning our trip next Thanksgiving, and were shocked that airfare has gone up over 33% for a flight from the northeast US to PVR. The flights that are somewhat civilized (i.e., not more than 1 stop and not during ungodly hours) seem to run about $3200 this year, up from $2400 or so last year. Does anyone have any strategies they could suggest such as known cheap routes from a city to PVR. Then we could try to find a cheap flight to that city. It hasn't worked for San Fran, LA, Phoenix, Dallas or Houston. So I thought I'd see if others have found a better way to maneuver. Thanks. :shrug:

I have been watching the same for several months and the price kept hoovering around $725 for one stop/decent hours. My thinking was to hang on and one of these Tue./Wed.'s it will drop into the $600 range, never happened...........actually it has doubled on occassion.:eek: My plan of attack is if it drops to the low $700 range again I am going to pull the trigger. My trip is the end of Oct. into Nov. (week @ Grand Luxxe and week @ Grand Bliss) and I believe the prices will be high this summer and may not drop that much by fall. The suspense is killing me.

Jim

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
$3200? for how many travelers? We will also be in PV over Thanksgiving. We usually pay anywhere from $400 to $600 per person, nonstop now United out of Newark. I see you are from Newtown; we prefer going out of Newark instead of Philly for the nonstop flights. Right now the fare is $755 for our dates, 11/10 to 11/24. Usually I buy my tickets as soon as they become available but didn't want to pat $650/ticket. Hopefully the laugh won't be on me, LOL! I get price alerts daily from Kayak and am just waiting to see what happens.

Asl18940

Reaction score
I am pricing this out of EWR or JFK in New York. I gave up on Philly for the PV flight, though it's very good for Cancun. I'll keep looking at Frontier, but right now I am watching a United flight from PHL to LAX, stay in LA for a couple of days, and then fly LAX to PVR. The way home is not too bad from PVR, changing planes in LAX back to PHL. I think we all know the airfare is up because of fuel prices, but there are still some deals that are better than others. The worst I saw so far, while looking at LAX as a transfer point, is Alaska Air which will take you from LAX to PVR for just $950 pp.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I bought tickets today to PVR for an unbelievable 50,000 air miles + $84.00 per ticket in coach. It looks like the plane is over half full 11 months out.

Last winter we only spent 45,000 per ticket in first class to CUN and for us PVR is way closer.

logan115

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought tickets today to PVR for an unbelievable 50,000 air miles + $84.00 per ticket in coach. It looks like the plane is over half full 11 months out.

Last winter we only spent 45,000 per ticket in first class to CUN and for us PVR is way closer.

Have been pricing out flights from ORD-CUN the past few days for a trip in May. Cheapest I've been able to find is UA at around $550/RT, with AA at $750/RT - about the same price if I stop-over at DFW. Have some AA miles that I could burn, but for a non-stop AA wants 70K per ticket in coach and it's about the same with the stop, only difference if business class vs coach but on that flight I don't think there's a huge difference :doh:

Chris

Asl18940

Reaction score
Prices have really jumped. I guess the good news is that Puerto Vallarta is really hot. The flights out of Newark filled up 9 months out. I just paid a fortune for tickets because I didn't want two overnight flights during the thanksgiving break. Maybe they'll start adding flights given the emerging demand.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Some people fly to San Diego, stay a day or two, and then fly Volaras out of Tijuana. I have no idea what the fares are now, but Volaras frequently has some very impressive sales.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Thanksgiving week is really high. Our "kids" have been watching so that they can join us. From Phoenix, non-stop is $804pp ($70 higher than the week before or after) and 1-stop is $750. Hubby & I are going for 3 weeks and Thanksgiving is the middle week.

I had been watching non-stop fares for $733pp for our November dates quite a long time and Monday I got a notice about a much lower price 1-stop fare. I was able to snag the 1-stop flight for $434.05pp and we decided we could have longer travel days and make one stop to save about $600 for the 2 of us! My brother and sister-in-law are thinking about doing mid-week flights since we will be there in a 2-bedroom the entire trip. They saw some Tuesday-Tuesday flights that were significantly lower than the Saturday-Saturday ones.

Keep watching and sign up for price alerts on one or 2 sites. I was using Kayak. Good luck!