• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thoughts on *wood offer today to purchase points

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
$.02625 per point

what is the consensus view of the offer from our resident experts?:confused:

Well, how much value can you get from them? Usually it makes little sense to purchase points, tho there are exceptions...and I'm sure we'll now read all about those from others...

Sent from my iPad

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The value of buying SPs depends on how many you already have, and how many you need to use (or can use).

For me - that is too much to pay. For you - depends...

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ditto. You need to figure out where you want to go and when. Based on room rates, you can determine whether or not it is worth it. Generally, $.02 per point is a common rate used with high demand international destinations being the best value for using them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also consider that points get devalued almost every year. Even if you can get good value today, don't get them unless you can use them relatively soon (within a couple of years).

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
That's an average value for a SP. But, as others have said, it depends on what you want to do with them. If you want to stay in NYC or Boston over Christmas or stay at a ski resort in the winter? You'll probably come out ahead v paying retail.

The best returns are usually realized in major metropolitan cities where everyday rates are in the $300s, including Europe.

Absent a solid plan and some number crunching, I'd pass.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
That's an average value for a SP. But, as others have said, it depends on what you want to do with them. If you want to stay in NYC or Boston over Christmas or stay at a ski resort in the winter? You'll probably come out ahead v paying retail.

The best returns are usually realized in major metropolitan cities where everyday rates are in the $300s, including Europe.

Absent a solid plan and some number crunching, I'd pass.

I agree; the price is good, not great.

Our best StarPoint values have been in Europe and/or doing the "5 for 4" thing (Starwood gives you five nights for the price of four), preferably with sufficient status to get an upgrade.

Otherwise, you are purchasing a currency subject to annual devaluation. The devaluation just happened for this year, but if you don't make your plans within ten months or so (the next devaluation), you won't get what you think you are paying for.

alotofgolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks for response

understand the number crunching...pretty much always do that when redeeming as well as the "5 for 4" (except emergency situation)

questioning the cost because other then getting the *points free (AM EX card, purchase) I haven't seen them in this neighborhood before but the devaluation questions always linger

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
questioning the cost because other then getting the *points free (AM EX card, purchase) I haven't seen them in this neighborhood before but the devaluation questions always linger

SPs via SPG AMEX are not free - and I am not talking about the annual fee, but the fact that you can get other CCs that give cash back (typically 1% - yes... I know there are some better) - so... The SP cost could be considered buying them at least 1 cent per dollar spent. (fuzzy math alert...) when using SPG AMEX.
btw - we have accumulated a lot of SPs using our SPG AMEX.