• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SVN Elite benefits

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Let's say you own two resale weeks -- Week A and Week B. Then, you purchase Week C from the developer and requalify Week A as part of the transaction. The StarOptions from Weeks A and C equal 359,000 and now you are a 4-star Elite member.

The question is: can you utilize the benefits of 4-star Elite when making reservations that pertain to Week B (non-requalified)? For instance, early checkin, convert-to-SPs, hold one reservation while making another, etc.

I'm inclined to think that those benefits would not be available; however, in practice I think this would be very challenging to determine. For instance, if I make an SO reservation using the online tool, who is to say which week I am using for the booking? It seems like it would get extremely complicated to track and manage. Does anyone have any experience with this?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You know it is a good question(s) - when you do not get numerous responses...

For certain... You cannot convert your non-requaled VOI (Week B) to SPs - so the 4* benefits surrounding SP conversions do not apply for Week B.

My (reasonable) guesses for 4*:
Extended SO Banking Period - Yes (but Week B must have SOs)
Reduced Fee for SO Banking - Yes (but Week B must have SOs)
SP Conversion - No for Week B
Travel services - Yes
Friendship Rewards Program - Yes
Signature Escapes - Yes
SP conversion fee waived - No for Week B (can't convert)
Early check-in - Probably for Week B (does this happen? Generally, they are still cleaning - they tried to give me a lesser villa location before when ours was ready - I waited...)
Reservation hold - Likely
10% premium for SP conversion - No for Week B (can't convert)

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
That makes sense to me. Basically I envision 4-star Elite applying to the member, not to individual ownership weeks. Therefore, I would think that everything on the 4-star Elite chart (https://www.mystarcentral.com/elite/chart.html) would be made available -- as applicable -- to the resale weeks as well. Since conversion to SPs is clearly a developer purchase benefit, having nothing to do with the Elite program, it would make sense that those benefits would not apply to the resale week.

Still, it would be interesting to know how this works in reality.

ferndale

TUG Member
Reaction score
As an owner who is 5 star elite ( own 4 weeks in maui) , but also owns a resale week (st. John), I can confirm that when I stay in st john, I am not considered 5 star elite. I am considered the owner of a resale week with no status!! No early check in or late check out, no status whatsoever.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
As an owner who is 5 star elite ( own 4 weeks in maui) , but also owns a resale week (st. John), I can confirm that when I stay in st john, I am not considered 5 star elite. I am considered the owner of a resale week with no status!! No early check in or late check out, no status whatsoever.

Interesting ... What about when you make a star options reservation?

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score

Did the WSJ week come later. How did it never get retroed?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

ferndale

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting ... What about when you make a star options reservation?

Have never made a star options reservation until this year. I will know that info after Thanksgiving week this year.

Did the WSJ week come later. How did it never get retroed?

Sadly, the WSJ week was the last one purchased. We bought all 4 Maui weeks from Starwood pre-construction in Maui (long before I ever heard of TUG). I have no regrets about doing it that way as we got exactly what we wanted (Oceanfront), and being 5 star, and platinum as well as the perfect oceanfront condos when we go to maui have been wonderful for us. When we decided we wanted WSJ for a new scuba adventure timeshare, I knew I wanted a 3 bed pool villa, and with help from tuggers, even knew exactly which building I wanted. Then I searched and waited! We own a summer week (23) which is prime scuba time, but low SO value, so it will never be worth retroing!

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have had a different experience. We often use our SOs to travel (WSJ, SVR, and other resorts that we own at but use in different season or when reserving with at less than 8 months out). In these cases, I simply let the resort know (remind them / ask them to look up) that I am 5* Elite and they are glad to honor the early check in and late check out. I have even received special 5* gifts and GM letters when traveling on SOs (although those have been a few years ago). I have no idea what the official policy is but the employees have generally been very good about taking care of my 5* status as long as they are aware of it.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had a different experience. We often use our SOs to travel (WSJ, SVR, and other resorts that we own at but use in different season or when reserving with at less than 8 months out). In these cases, I simply let the resort know (remind them / ask them to look up) that I am 5* Elite and they are glad to honor the early check in and late check out. I have even received special 5* gifts and GM letters when traveling on SOs (although those have been a few years ago). I have no idea what the official policy is but the employees have generally been very good about taking care of my 5* status as long as they are aware of it.

"GM Letters"?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Welcome letters from the resort General Mgr.

oneohana

TUG Member
Reaction score

When we stayed there, they refused to recognize elite status. They wouldn't even let me talk to the GM.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just checked in at the Westin St. John today. I got a memento ice bucket with 6 St. John Brewer's beers and a letter from the GM recognizing me for my status. My room was ready early, as we got here shortly after 2:00 PM.

The front desk person said they don't allow late check-outs, but that is not an issue for me. He didn't seem to think that was a 5* perk, just an SPG Platinum perk that is not recognized here because this is mostly a timeshare property. I didn't feel like arguing, since I'll be leaving at the normal check-out time.