• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WSJ May 10-17

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll be heading to St John the week of May 10-17. We are looking to book a boat for a day, hitting some snorkel spots, lunch at Foxy's Taboo and end the day at Soggy Dollar.

Looking to see if anyone else is interested to split the costs.

Last edited:

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Darn, we're there the 24th thru the 31st. I would have loved to hung out with 2 experts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry we'll miss you. We get there the 18th.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Darn, we're there the 24th thru the 31st. I would have loved to hung out with 2 experts.

I'm sorry we'll miss you. We get there the 18th.

Two close misses.....Originally, we were going to go over Memorial Day Week, but switched to our Anniversary week. We opted to head to Disney over Memorial Day Weekend.

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was trying to get more into June, but this was the only dates available and I was just happy to get anything. . We our celebrating our 30th anniversary early (9/7). Hoping to be at Pittsburgh Steelers game on our actual anniversary day. Dream come true for me not so much for DH...but you know the saying, if Momma's happy...

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Nice idea. We will be there April 20-28 for the first time, so it won't work with us. Good luck with finding people to participate. Sounds like a fun day.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We'll be heading to St John the week of May 10-17. We are looking to book a boat for a day, hitting some snorkel spots, lunch at Foxy's Taboo and end the day at Soggy Dollar.

Tom - Who are you planning to use for a boat charter? We are going with Palm Tree (Capt John Brandi) this year. I hear he can be somewhat of a character (which hopefully is a good thing for us...) and he knows the waters quite well.

I wish it were not so expensive - as we would probably do more boat days.
I understand that there is a proposed law modifying the current 6-PAC regulations for the USVI. It seems to be a hot button issue. Not sure if it affects charters like these, but it does increase competition - which can benefit the consumers (hopefully).

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tom - Who are you planning to use for a boat charter? We are going with Palm Tree (Capt John Brandi) this year. I hear he can be somewhat of a character (which hopefully is a good thing for us...) and he knows the waters quite well.

I wish it were not so expensive - as we would probably do more boat days.
I understand that there is a proposed law modifying the current 6-PAC regulations for the USVI. It seems to be a hot button issue. Not sure if it affects charters like these, but it does increase competition - which can benefit the consumers (hopefully).

We have not finalized a charter yet.

And yes, the expenses can add up quickly.

shockdoct

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have not finalized a charter yet.

And yes, the expenses can add up quickly.

We are going to be at WSJ from May 9-16 with a group of 7 or 8. I had looked into an excursion to Jost Van Dyke a few months back, but didn't finalize anything.

What is the approximate cost of a charter?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We are going to be at WSJ from May 9-16 with a group of 7 or 8. I had looked into an excursion to Jost Van Dyke a few months back, but didn't finalize anything.

What is the approximate cost of a charter?

To JVD only?
Kids?

Right now (there is a proposed regulation change in the mix) - having more than 6 limits you as many captains/boats have only a '6-PAC' license.

Be aware that the BVI fee has gone up to $40pp.
Need a Passport (important)
Also, tips are expected.

shockdoct

TUG Member
Reaction score
No kids, all adults. We all would have passports. Wouldn't mind a few snorkeling spots before making our way to JVD to hit up the spots there.

Good to know about the possible limitations of having more than 6 passengers.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
No kids, all adults. We all would have passports. Wouldn't mind a few snorkeling spots before making our way to JVD to hit up the spots there.

I would be prepared to spend at least $150pp

Having no more than 6 gives flexibility to hire private captain/charter and then telling them what you want to go (e.g. snorkel Waterlemon before heading over). You may find some flexibility with >6, but will need to call around.

I suggest TripAdvisor - search St John Activities
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147409-Activities-c25-St_John_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup....The max of 6 for most charters. Bigger boats like Bad Kitty are much, much more expensive.

Last year, the cost was around $600-$650 for 4 of us for the day.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having no more than 6 gives flexibility to hire private captain/charter and then telling them what you want to go (e.g. snorkel Waterlemon before heading over). You may find some flexibility with >6, but will need to call around.

Funny you wrote Waterlemon Cay cause that will be a "must" stop on our charter. We have done it the hard way.....Remote parking, marching along the shore thru mosquito hell to Leinster Bay, then swim 1/4-1/3 of a mile to Waterlemon Cay......then of course, go back. Its a long trek, but is so worth the trouble.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
at the resort....

For the adventurous explorer: Powerboat Rentals with Nauti Nymph
Fountain Powerboats offer simplified elegance teamed up with the highest quality and best performance. The Fountain makes for one of the smoothest riding, best handling and safest boats in its class.

Rates: 29 foot Fountain Center Console with twin 200hp engines: $540.00 Full Day, $490.00 Half Day. 31 foot Fountain Center Console with twin 300 hp engines: $660.00 Full Day; $610 Half Day.

For the sophisticated traveler: Luxury Excursion with Magic Moments
Magic Moments Luxury Excursions caters to guests who want to discover "the heights of luxury at sea level." Offering first class service and gourmet food and drink aboard a luxury yacht, guests are able experience breathtaking destinations in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Rates: All-inclusive fare of $460.00 per person. Children under 10 are half the adult fare and children under 2 travel for free.

Last edited:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cruz Bay Watersports Excursions

"Baths of Virgin Gorda" & "The Caves of Norman Island"
Join the fun crew of "Island Time" to one of the most extraordinary destinations in the Virgin Islands. Snorkel and hike through the famous giant granite boulders and unique grottoes with crystal clear waters, then finish the day snorkeling at the Caves Norman Island, where the friendliest fish in the Caribbean live!

Full day excursion includes: Continental breakfast, deli style lunch, non-alcoholic beverages and snorkel gear.

Jost Van Dyke "Foxy's & White Bay"
Sail aboard "Island Spirit" to visit the island that has become a legend among sailors and Caribbean travelers. Enjoy a snorkel stop in the morning at a beautiful off shore reef or cay. Then, head to Jost Van Dyke for lunch at Foxy's famous beach bar. Finish the day relaxing on the beautiful white sand beach in White Bay, home of the "Soggy Dollar Bar".

Includes: Continental breakfast, non-alcoholic beverages, & snorkel gear. Guests purchase lunch at Foxy's.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two Fish Flying

Here's how a day trip works:

Number of guests: "Two Fish Flying" is certified for up to 6 guests.

Where to meet: VI National Park dock in Cruz Bay.

What to bring: Towels, sunscreen, camera, boat shoes/flip flops, cover ups, hats, drinks and snacks. A dry bag or baggie for your wallet or camera is also highly recommended. Most places we anchor will not have a dock unless you specifically request such locations, so plan to get wet to and from the boat.

Lunch: Bring your own or we can suggest and stop at one of our many favorite places along the way.

We provide: Adult snorkel gear, a cooler with ice and drinking water.

Planning your trip: A valid passport is necessary when traveling to the British Virgin Islands, as it is required to check in with BVI Customs on arrival and then back into US when returning to St. John. Please let us know if you have a non US passport when reserving the boat. It is necessary to collect passport and other passenger information at the time of the reservation so we can prepare the paperwork needed.
Rates

Payment for your charter is usually accepted at the end of the day.
Cash or travelers checks are accepted.
Payment for fuel at the fuel dock is cash or credit card.

Full Day: We meet at the dock 8:30 and drop you back on the dock at 4:30
$495 plus re-fueling charges and Customs fees

Half Day: 8:30 to 12:30 or 1:00 to 5:00
$350 plus re-fueling charges
*Half day trips are only available around St. John and US waters

Fuel: Fuel for your trip is approximately $100-$175 depending on destinations and price per gallon.

ferndale

TUG Member
Reaction score
parties of more than 6

Wow, it is definitely cheaper to have 6!!! We are a party of 8, and our private charter to the BVI is significantly more per person! For us it is a scuba charter, but the cost would be the same no matter our activities. I will have to keep this in mind for the future!

Crasherino

Reaction score

For groups over 6 but less than 12, take a look at Born to Rhumb. I believe Capt Kevin runs it. I've never been out with him but have heard good things. His boat is one of the few that is licensed for more than 6 but is not a 60 pax boat.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
For groups over 6 but less than 12, take a look at Born to Rhumb. I believe Capt Kevin runs it. I've never been out with him but have heard good things. His boat is one of the few that is licensed for more than 6 but is not a 60 pax boat.

We will probably be booking with them for our July trip.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We made our reservation with Beachwalker Charters on Two Fish Flying, for May 16 (Friday).

We are hitting the North Shore of ST John, stopping at Waterlemon Cay and one other stop (TBD), then over to Sandy Spit and Foxy's Taboo for lunch, then over to Soggy Dollar.

Simple and sweet.

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done The Baths trip with Cruz bay ? Looks similar to the Bad Kitty trip but without going to JVD

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did that trip last year. It was nice. I didn't like their second snorkeling stop. I would have preferred they'd gone to the Indians. However, it was a good trip.

I don't particularly care for the stop at Cooper's Island that both boats do for lunch. It is very expensive for not so great food. You can take your own sandwiches, if you like. I suppose it would have been better to just stay longer at the Baths, and maybe explore Virgin Gorda a little more.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did that trip last year. It was nice. I didn't like their second snorkeling stop. I would have preferred they'd gone to the Indians. However, it was a good trip.

I don't particularly care for the stop at Cooper's Island that both boats do for lunch. It is very expensive for not so great food. You can take your own sandwiches, if you like. I suppose it would have been better to just stay longer at the Baths, and maybe explore Virgin Gorda a little more.

I agree....I don't like the programmed stops. I rather spend all my time at The Baths, then go to Normandy Caves, Indian or Cooper Island.