• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Reputable ebay resellers

Myrddin12

Reaction score
Hi. Been looking at all of the amazing info you have here as my husband and I have been considering a Sheraton Vistana Villages timeshare, but no way we were paying those costs. There are quite a few on ebay that fit what we are interested in, but I don't know how to best tell you is reputable.

Are there any sellers that TUG members recommend? Or any to steer clear of?

Thanks so much!

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Welcome to TUG!

Start with this thread.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56

If you find a unit you're interested in enter the eBay seller's name in the search function on the blue bar near the top of this page.

If you don't find what you're looking for, start a thread and ask about specific sellers.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
And/or just look for those with substantial positive reviews. I wouldn't buy from a private owner selling his own TS with no experience. That said, those eBay resellers get their inventory from people who are tired of their TSs and pay these outfits to sell for them-or 'donate for a cause' type outfits trying to make a few bucks on something they have nothing in. They are kind of bottom-fishers too. Listings are often inaccurate, so get an estoppel letter on any you seriously consider.

Not trying to frighten you about resales, they are definitely the way to go, but just be careful of what you are buying. Even at $1, some TSs are overpriced.

Jim

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Its a good idea to google the seller too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Your best protection -- with any seller -- is having an independent escrow company do the closing. Unfortunately, most of the large eBay sellers won't allow it; they either do the escrow internally or have a nominally separate (but controlled) company as escrow agent. The problem is that once you pay, you have zero control.

So do some research on your prospective seller using the "Search" function, ask us specific questions, and if you have any doubts whatsoever about the seller and the seller will not let you pick the escrow agent, take your business elsewhere.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
... and the seller will not let you pick the escrow agent, take your business elsewhere.

I don't agree with this part of the post. If you use a seller with a good rep then I don't see a problem with using their closing company. I've recently bought 3 units on eBay and have had no problems with the closing companies.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I don't agree with this part of the post. If you use a seller with a good rep then I don't see a problem with using their closing company. I've recently bought 3 units on eBay and have had no problems with the closing companies.

Actually, we do agree.

What I wrote was that if you have any doubts whatsoever about the seller and the seller will not let you pick the escrow agent, take your business elsewhere. Some of the mass eBay sellers with captive closing companies do have good reputations.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually, we do agree.

What I wrote was that if you have any doubts whatsoever about the seller and the seller will not let you pick the escrow agent, take your business elsewhere. Some of the mass eBay sellers with captive closing companies do have good reputations.

Yes we do, I read that part of your post wrong.

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy from a private owner selling his own TS with no experience.

Those have actually been my best experiences. They've always let me pick the escrow and closing services.

My one word of advice to anybody looking to buy from a large reseller on ebay is to ignore the ebay feeback scores and search on tug instead. Some of the sellers with the worst reputations here have 97% or better feedback on ebay.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You should also review the TUG ADVICE PAGE - linked in the red bar at the top of the page - there is a wealth of info. there about buying resale.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those have actually been my best experiences. They've always let me pick the escrow and closing services...

I, too, thought this was a no brainer due to the supposed flexibility in choosing the handling entity, but found out "it depends."

I recently saw an eBay listing from a private seller and figured I could negotiate the closing/escrow companies. But in our discussions, he wanted some kind if kickback because the PCC company he picked for closing (though not for selling) promises him a discount for more properties he sold (he had 5 or 6 he was trying to sell).

Long story short, I opted not to make an offer. Another Tugger won the auction and had other issues with the seller, mostly due to the seller's lack of experience/knowledge/whatever.

If the seller is a knowledgeable Tugger, then I think the transfer would go smoothly. If it is just some guy off the street, who knows.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I, too, thought this was a no brainer due to the supposed flexibility in choosing the handling entity, but found out "it depends."

I recently saw an eBay listing from a private seller and figured I could negotiate the closing/escrow companies. But in our discussions, he wanted some kind if kickback because the PCC company he picked for closing (though not for selling) promises him a discount for more properties he sold (he had 5 or 6 he was trying to sell).

Long story short, I opted not to make an offer. Another Tugger won the auction and had other issues with the seller, mostly due to the seller's lack of experience/knowledge/whatever.

If the seller is a knowledgeable Tugger, then I think the transfer would go smoothly. If it is just some guy off the street, who knows.

I just bought from a private seller and they wanted to use a closing company that I have seen people here on TUG use but they had some problem or other and found an attorney that handles transfers and he is a former GM of the property.

So other than a 2 week delay in getting my info to the proper closing company everything is going smoothly so far.

I think if you are going to buy from a private seller on eBay either you or the seller needs to have some idea of how to proceed. If neither of you have a clue you're asking for aggravation.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One day after the above post I received confirmation that everything is settled. It took just over a month using Caldwell & Payne P.A.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi. Been looking at all of the amazing info you have here as my husband and I have been considering a Sheraton Vistana Villages timeshare, but no way we were paying those costs. There are quite a few on ebay that fit what we are interested in, but I don't know how to best tell you is reputable.

With many large resorts such as Sheraton Vistana Villages, it is all about location, location, location within the resort.

Most people seem to prefer the St. Augustine phase as SVV.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158346

That is one thing to consider about EBay auctions. It is sometimes difficult to determine what phase is being offered. If you have a preference, this might make it worth the slightly higher cost to use a broker who can supply exactly the phase you desire.

If the phase at SVV does not matter to you, here is a good looking deal where the seller lists the phase as Amelia:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sheraton-Vi...21444607434?pt=Timeshares&hash=item4ad79775ca

Make sure you know what you are bidding on, and confirm what you are getting, if you win.

As for EBay sellers to avoid, RedWeek4Less and wwptshares are two to avoid.

jtbrighten

Reaction score
And/or just look for those with substantial positive reviews. I wouldn't buy from a private owner selling his own TS with no experience. That said, those eBay resellers get their inventory from people who are tired of their TSs and pay these outfits to sell for them-or 'donate for a cause' type outfits trying to make a few bucks on something they have nothing in. They are kind of bottom-fishers too. Listings are often inaccurate, so get an estoppel letter on any you seriously consider.

Not trying to frighten you about resales, they are definitely the way to go, but just be careful of what you are buying. Even at $1, some TSs are overpriced.

Jim

I purchased on eBay from a company with positive reviews and it worked out great for me. I second the getting the estoppel letter because the eBay listing I won was inaccurate. Thankfully, it was in my favor as it was listed as Low Red season, but in actuality it was a high red float. I did lots of research on this forum. It can save you a ton of cash. What would have normally cost me in the thousands ended up costing me about 100 bucks. Many listing companies throw in free closing, free usage in the year of purchase, etc.

TimeToRun

Reaction score
I was just looking at an eBay listing of their's. It was the first time I have searched any and am in the browsing stage. Thanks for the heads up!

advocoach

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second the estoppel letter and even calling resort to confirm.

The Ebay listing I just purchased last night led a newbie ,like myself, to believe the unit was in the newest division on the resort. After asking a question about the purchase on TUG, a member pointed out the unit number didn't seem right for that certain division. I requested the estoppel did have the same info as the listing so I called the resort. I then found out even though the description is accurate, technically is wasn't classified in the same way and the unit was located in an older unit.

For our family it didn't really matter, but to someone looking for a specific unit or location it would have made all the difference in the world. I did tons of research about this resort, but yet I had no clue about the unit numbers because I've never been there. Tuggers once again saved the day so we were totally informed before we continued.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or any to steer clear of?

Any company associated with David MacMillan. It will be tough to find his name anywhere but I usually name him in the threads where he belongs. Eventually it is going to be very difficult for me to find his association with his never ending creation of new entities where he is "legally" absent. His M.O. is using young females to be the legal owners. His businesses have gotten in plenty of trouble but nothing yet to land an actual person in jail. Hopefully this scumbag eventually goes to prison but it's unlikely because even though they may take thousands and have plenty of unhappy customers they do make some attempts to unload or transfer to viking ships.