• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's a good RCI points-per-MF-dollar ratio to shoot for?

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
I know it's important to find a resort I actually want to visit, but is there a good guideline for number of points to try to attain per dollar of annual maintenance fee?

Looking thru eBay it looks like getting 100 annual points-per-dollar is kinda tough but possible.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I know it's important to find a resort I actually want to visit, but is there a good guideline for number of points to try to attain per dollar of annual maintenance fee?

Looking thru eBay it looks like getting 100 annual points-per-dollar is kinda tough but possible.

Welcome to TUG.

It is not necessarily important to buy where you want to go. You will hear it over and over again on this site but it is not the best thing for everyone.

In the past I owned 2 timeshares for a while that I never went to, I exchanged them with Dial an Exchange instead. It worked very well for me.

In Timeshare World there is very little advice that fits everyones situation.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.

A penny a point.
Try Vacation Village at Parkway or Grandview.
There are others.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buyers tend to fixate on low MF which results in prices being driven up.

In many cases it may be cheaper to go with little higher MF and pay nothing upfront vs pay say $2K up front.

Have to run numbers on each deal plus factor in other variables like location and reservation priority!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
1 cent MF per RCI Point has been the TUG 'good deal' threshold. We've seen some as low as the $0.006 area. That would be 100,000 Points for $600 MF. That's about the best I've heard of.

Of course the point/MF ratio can change if RCI changes the rating of a resort, or I suppose the resort- or it's HOA can downgrade it's ratio. That's one reason I'm leery of developer heavy HOA's.

Jim

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone; just trying to get a sense of how to value some of these eBay listings I see that are being sold for around a dollar + closing costs.

Smokatoke

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Grandview the MFs are $700 a year and you can get a 122K point package. Thats .0057 a point.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
TUG members do always say 1 cent per point. They have been saying it for years.

I used to get a better value for my Aussie points, but that has become a thing of the past. There is always inflation.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At Grandview the MFs are $700 a year and you can get a 122K point package. Thats .0057 a point.

Thank you. What are some other best-bang-for-your-buck resorts besides Grandview?

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. What are some other best-bang-for-your-buck resorts besides Grandview?

I have seen Summer Bay units with 126,000 RCI points but the maintenance + taxes are almost $1,000 so the ratio is still not as good as Grandview at .0079

I've seen a VA summer beach week converted to RCI points that was roughly .008 as well.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a general "good value" guideline for the TPUs on the Weeks side as well? Like dollars per TPU?

Based on what I've previously read here, $12-15 per TPU is a "good value".

I am curios though, what is the average maintenance to RCI points ratio and TPU of the general public?

Smokatoke

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really dont think the buy where you plan to stay rules apply to points as much as TPU, so where you buy in terms of location doesnt matter.

I push Grandview because it gives great value, but you NEVER have you use your points to stay there. Availability is very high in Extra Vacations and Last Call for only $200-250. I stay there once a year, and use my points else where or I bank them.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a small Grandview unit (just 16,333 RCI points per year) the MF is just over $100 per year - I think I am at or near the .0065 per point level and the purchase price was under $275 all in.

I never plan on staying at the Grandview because I don't go to vegas. :shrug:

I also have very good luck with a cheap MF unit in Idaho that I deposit with Platinum Interchange every year. My lowly $325 MF there has gotten me a week in Hawaii at the Wyndham and several nice weeks on the coast.

Prudent shopping can still give good value in TimeShare land.

Steve_N

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hi I was wondering how you get this information for a resort. Also, in regards to Grandview in particular how does season come into play? I thought that Las Vegas was over built and for that reason did not have good trading power? I am knew and very confused when it comes to trading power.

Thanks,

Steve

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some subjective observations...

Hi I was wondering how you get this information for a resort. Also, in regards to Grandview in particular how does season come into play? I thought that Las Vegas was over built and for that reason did not have good trading power? I am new and very confused when it comes to trading power.

"Points are points", as the saying goes, so "trading power" of points is not much of an issue, as it certainly is with the "trading power" of (non-points) "weeks".
With points, it's just a maintenance fee / points ratio calculation with what you own --- a pure numbers game, if you will. Points owners may never stay (or ever want to stay) at the underlying "home base" of their points; I believe that Grandview has many such owners who just want those low cost ratio points to use them elsewhere.

Non-points "weeks", on the other hand, have a specific (but changeable by RCI) TPU (Trading Power Unit) value assigned to them (a bit arbitrarily, it seems) by RCI; a value supposedly based upon demand and unit size. TPU value of a "deposited week" begins to decrease 180 days before upcoming occupancy date and continues to shrink further as that occupancy date looms closer, whereas points just stay the same, without any numbers reduction over the course of their year.

Despite a lot of years of timeshare ownership (but little or no interest in "trading" anymore) I am admittedly just completely befuddled by RCI's TPU valuations.
I check my "weeks" TPU values periodically, mostly out of curiosity. My best (IMO) high demand, prime week on the Maine Coast at a fine facility has the lowest TPU value and a mediocre resorts' winter week in Florida has the highest TPU. Unit sizes are identical in both cases, but there is no comparison between the two resorts --- the low TPU facility in Maine is head and shoulders above the FL facility with higher TPU's, by any possible standard or measure. I sometimes wonder if RCI assigns TPU's by use of a pub dartboard, but having no interest in "exchanging", I'm not at all bothered by their strange and seemingly inconsistent "weeks" TPU valuations. :shrug:

Last edited:

Steve_N

TUG Member
Reaction score
Using RCI for Disney

Thanks for the quick reply Theo. I was just reading an older post that says that you cannot use RCI to stay at Disney World if you own a resort within 30 miles. I actually own two DVC contracts, but I thought I had read posts in the past of people who have owned DVC and other timeshares and have used the other timeshare to stay at Disney. Does anyone know if this is possible? I was thinking maybe because with DVC you’re not really a member of RCI so that rule doesn’t apply or maybe I misunderstand something.