• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

BLT Ebay Sale

mtm65

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
So I attempted to purchase a BLT contract from a private seller on Ebay earlier this month. The seller lives in Fla and was going to do the transfer himself. I signed the contract and provided my credit card information for payment on 6/7/15. The seller was to keep us in the loop with the progress of the transfer. This included the contract after he signed it and the ROFR paperwork. I also requested the deed information as proof of his ownership. I did not receive the promised/requested documents. I sent a few reminders and also decided to search the Orange County Comptrollers website for the deed. I was unable to locate a Disney timeshare in his name, only four non-Disney timeshares.

Naturally with the lack of communication and the inability to confirm Disney ownership, I contacted my credit card company and put the transaction on hold. I then informed the seller of the hold and agreed to continue the transaction after he proved ownership and presented me with the signed contract as promised. The seller responded negatively and cancelled the Ebay transaction. In his email response, the seller threatened to report me to DVC when he cancelled the transfer so I would be banned from buying DVC in the future.

So my questions...

Can a seller report a buyer to DVC and the buyer suffer any consequences?

Is there a way to know if the transfer was ever submitted to DVC in the first place?

There was too much money at risk to let this play out and I felt I needed to put the transaction on hold to learn if the seller was real and serious.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Management companies are do not get involved in private sales.

The terms you agreed to were very risky - I would never send money without doing my due diligence first, nor would I agree to let a private seller handle the the transfer themselves, nor would I give a private seller my credit card number. Using a reputable title company gives you a lot of protection, and it's not that expensive.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
So my questions...

Is there a way to know if the transfer was ever submitted to DVC in the first place?

There was too much money at risk to let this play out and I felt I needed to put the transaction on hold to learn if the seller was real and serious.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

No DVC will not block you from purchasing in the future.
And why are you doing a big purchase on ebay from an unknown seller?
Buy from one of the reputable DVC resellers.
Like you say, it's too much money at stake, besides DVC has ROFR so you won't be getting a smoking deal on a resale anyhow. :ignore:

mtm65

TUG Member
Reaction score
No DVC will not block you from purchasing in the future.
And why are you doing a big purchase on ebay from an unknown seller?
Buy from one of the reputable DVC resellers.
Like you say, it's too much money at stake, besides DVC has ROFR so you won't be getting a smoking deal on a resale anyhow. :ignore:

It wasn't a smoking deal, I believe it would have passed ROFR but it was a little more reasonable than the DVC resellers.

There is currently a run on DVC BLT contracts and it appears some of the "reputable" resellers are encouraging bidding wars. It is very hard to find a contract that has not been stripped of points for a reasonable price.

I did have a level of protection with my credit card company and the credit card processing company that he used. I did not give my card information directly to him.

Thanks for your thoughts!

mtm65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Management companies are do not get involved in private sales.

The terms you agreed to were very risky - I would never send money without doing my due diligence first, nor would I agree to let a private seller handle the the transfer themselves, nor would I give a private seller my credit card number. Using a reputable title company gives you a lot of protection, and it's not that expensive.

Denise, I know you have a high level of knowledge of timeshares. Do you know if I can confirm if any transfer paperwork was submitted to DVC with my name on it?

Thanks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Denise, I know you have a high level of knowledge of timeshares. Do you know if I can confirm if any transfer paperwork was submitted to DVC with my name on it?

Thanks.

I doubt it - With most deeds, once a deed is recorded with the county and submitted to the management company, it's a done deal. It's not something the seller can undo by just saying, "I changed my mind." I know that DVC deeds are different, but I believe they are still recorded deeds.

Also - If you just completed the transaction on June 7th, it's too soon for all that to happen.

Who did you provide the credit card number to, if not a title company?

Last edited:

mtm65

TUG Member
Reaction score
I doubt it - Once a deed is recorded with the county and submitted to the management company, it's a done deal. It's not something the seller can undo by just saying, "I changed my mind." I know that DVC deeds are different, but I believe they are still recorded deeds.

Also - If you just completed the transaction on June 7th, it's too soon for all that to happen.

Who did you provide the credit card number to, if not a title company?

The seller used a credit card payment processing company. So the seller created an invoice within the processing company website and I paid the invoice within that site. My info was never given to the seller and the money is held by the processing company until the processing company determines that the transaction is not fraud. They act as a go between for private parties.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The seller used a credit card payment processing company. So the seller created an invoice within the processing company website and I paid the invoice within that site. My info was never given to the seller and the money is held by the processing company until the processing company determines that the transaction is not fraud. They act as a go between for private parties.

Was it an escrow company? I've never heard of a credit card processing company that provided escrow. What is the name of it?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also requested the deed information as proof of his ownership. I did not receive the promised/requested documents. I sent a few reminders and also decided to search the Orange County Comptrollers website for the deed. I was unable to locate a Disney timeshare in his name, only four non-Disney timeshares.

...The seller responded negatively and cancelled the Ebay transaction. In his email response, the seller threatened to report me to DVC when he cancelled the transfer so I would be banned from buying DVC in the future.
These two statements tell me all I need to know about the seller, and you did the right thing.

It's quite possible that the OCC site was not accurate, and it's pretty clunky to use and mistakes are easy to make. But even if they DID actually own DVC (which I suspect they did), you don't need to be dealing with a moron like this.

No. That's nonsense -- just running their mouths because they're mad.

No, but what difference does it make? He's already canceled the eBay transaction, which does two things:
  1. It settles the question with the credit card processor. The transaction is canceled; no need to prove fraud or anything else.
  2. Unfortunately, it also prevents you from leaving negative feedback on eBay. That's one of the problems with eBay -- a crook or a jerk can just cancel the transaction and the whole thing never happened in eBay's eyes.