• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Starwood Estoppel

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rec'd my closing documents, but a copy of the estoppel from Starwood was not with them. When I requested it, I was told by the attorney that they were not allowed to provide the buyer with a copy because there is confidential information about the seller on it. I said I had never heard of such a thing. I can see maybe an account number which I told her to black out if that was a problem, but she insisted that is why they are the 3rd party escrow agent. That they have verified on the closing statement that all fees are current and the unit numbers, etc and that they would be held to that if there were any problems.

This is the first timeshare in a long time that we have spent any significant money on, but when we did purchase a lot way back before the "crash" we always saw the estoppel. Of course, these were all Wyndham contracts. The attorney's office said that Wyndham does it differently and that if it had been a Wyndham contract then they would have no problem allowing me to see it.

We left it at she is going to contact the seller to get permission to release the estoppel to me.

Is my thinking off here?

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received one of those from my closing company just yesterday. :) Was thrilled that I was able to compare it with the example document on TUG.

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
They ended up sending it later this afternoon. Everything is in order.

I knew there shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for confirming it.

Captron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVRx3 SBP Worldmark
Just a question because I don't know (but have been told)...

Starwood will not send their form to the seller or purchaser directly but it must be sent to the closing company.

Accurate? or Not?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just a question because I don't know (but have been told)...

Starwood will not send their form to the seller or purchaser directly but it must be sent to the closing company.

Accurate? or Not?

Yes, although I don't know why.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In various resale purchases that I had made thru eBay sellers I have never received the estopel / resale information sheet despite asking from the seller and closing company. Instead I called Starwood directly and they were very helpful each time and read the information to me, including whether MF is current, what is the next available use year, seasons etc.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, although I don't know why.

There are thousands of resale transfers Starwood has to process each year. My best guess is even the more unprofessional closing companies have a better chance of presenting reliable and accurate closing documents and deeds to Starwood than DIY sellers. A DIY seller without a closing company is more likely to pocket the money and walk away - leaving the buyer with a defective transfer and no recourse and Starwood with a headache it did not create. Salty

Renny30

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called Starwood directly and they were very helpful each time and read the information to me, including whether MF is current, what is the next available use year, seasons etc.

I forgot I did this. When I received the estoppel I called Starwood to verify everything on it was correct, because the estoppel was from April and I was buying in September and I'm from NJ and I don't trust anybody. :) They were willing to confirm everything.

aeroflygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question. If I read the estoppel correctly, it is for the Westin Princeville villas and it states, "Membership in the Starwood Vacation Network (SVN) must transfer with owner...".

I thought that Princeville was a voluntary resort and that membership in SVN did not transfer???

You are correct. The example estoppel is wrong. I have not seen one completed incorrrectly in a long time, but it was a fairly common mistake a few years ago.

Last edited:

aeroflygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are correct. The example estoppel is wrong. I have not seen one completed incorrrectly in a long time, but it was a fairly common mistake a few years ago.

So if you purchased based on the attached estoppel and insisted on SVN membership, would they let you in? If not, what would happen?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So if you purchased based on the attached estoppel and insisted on SVN membership, would they let you in? If not, what would happen?

The first paragraph clearly states that they have no liability for inaccurate information. No they will not let you in if the resort is voluntary, regardless.

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score

The header paragraph states that neither the association nor management company has responsibility for any inaccuracy.

The fact that it stated SVN membership entitlement incorrectly does not change the governing documents (or rights granted by deed) which dictate said rights.

That said, Starwood has made mistakes in the past and chose to honor a couple I know of, when pressed.
So, there is no clear cut answer to your question. It depends on Starwood's good will.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe Starwood would offer to buy the deed for your out-of-pocket cost and make you whole. Salty