• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Am I Crazy to attempt Disney in July

Rsauer3473

TUG Member
Reaction score
Top ten ways to survive the heat and humidity of walt disney world in july and augus

10. Buy a tree, decorate it, and pretend Christmas is right around the corner.

9. Encourage your friends to join you in an "O Canada!" movie marathon in Epcot.

8. Set up an old fashioned car wash stand at the Hess Gas Station across from Downtown Disney.

7. You know, even though the water around Discovery Island in Animal Kingdom is kinda green, it IS wet.

6. Challenge guests around World Showcase to discuss their chafing issues.

5. Always walk on the north side of your taller or heavier friends.

4. Swim the canals in "It's a Small World" as Atlantean mermaids and mermen.

3. Rent a barstool in Cava Tequila from noon to midnight.

2. Spend all your DDP dining credits on bottled water.

1. Three words: Dole Whip Underwear

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, my. This thread is not encouraging. This year, we bit the bullet and decided to take the grandkids to Disney World for their first visit. The only month we can make it work with their schedules is this summer - in August. When our own kids were 3 and 5, we moved from Northern California to Louisiana. After the first afternoon thermal thundershower, when steam rolled off every hot surface (streets, sidewalks, roofs...), my son asked with such sweet innocence, "Mommy, are we in hell?" Living their whole lives in Seattle, our grandkids don't know anything about heat and humidity. I hope they can handle it. I'm sure my son will regale them with tall tales.

It's been almost 20 years since our one and only visit to WDW, so reading up on how to "Do" Disney World this time seems like planning the allies' landing on D-Day. My dining room table is covered with stacks of brand new books from Amazon, on how to execute a successful (albeit exhausting) trip to Disney. Why I needed to buy seven books, I'm not sure? We have our flights booked, our housing (Saratoga Springs) reserved, and tickets purchased, so I thought I was pretty much done with planning. But apparently that is the easy part, and only the beginning! Wish me luck, as I'll need all I can get. Our son and daughter-in-law think it would be fun to join us with their new baby (will be born in June), so they are flying in to sweat, too. (We have the grandkids to ourselves for the first week on Sanibel Island - they will love shelling on the beach!)

So far, WDW seems worth it. Skyping with our granddaughter, she tells us how excited she is to meet Anna and Elsa from Frozen. I've heard her rendition of "Let it Go" more times than I can count. Now I just need to get back on Amazon to buy guidebooks on Universal Studios, as our grandson discovered Harry Potter and gang hang out over there.

I'm already starting to look for vacations in September to recover from my August vacation to Orlando...

Last edited:

Joe33426

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
There is no getting around summer in Orlando. I have spent many years there. Hot, crowded, rainy (every day at approx 3), but the buildings are made for the environment. Like being up north in the winter, you limit your exposure outside.

This is exactly how I think of summers in Florida. We limit our exposure during the hottest parts of the day, but otherwise live a very active lifestyle. What we have in Florida is PROPER air conditioning. We would much rather be in South Florida in the summer than NY. Central Florida is hot even for us in the summer, but we regularly visit in the summer, especially if we have annual passes to use.

Is summer travel to Orlando ideal? Heck no, but its doable, especially if you heed the advice above. I'd add that when parking your car if you can find a sliver of shade it can make a huge difference.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Thoughts from Disney summer travelers?

The kids will have fun, the adults not so much.
I live in FL and Disney parks is off my list of things to do in the summer ever again if I can help it. Big difference in temps from April and October to summers as others have said.

Now the resorts are fine, especially if you are staying on site and can enjoy the great pools and kids clubs. Maybe do some pool hopping, rent a boat on the lake, do some fishing in the campground or a day at DisneyQuest.

If you have an annual pass do as Michael Coley suggests and hit the parks early with those fast passes and get out of dodge by noon and return later in the evening.

Vero will be fine compared to Orlando but will still be pretty hot because few of the rooms get much of a sea breeze. The 2 bedrooms are further back in the buildings unless you are lucky enough to get one of the cottages. This is actually one resort where I prefer the Oceanview Inn rooms over the bigger units in summer because if you get extended rains then you either have to dodge the lightning to get to the main buildings to eat or go late. At least in the Inn rooms you are in the main building. Vero has a nice Character breakfast that you'd probably enjoy. I think they only do it on the weekends though.

Have fun. :)

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I have gone in Aug 3X--loved it! Sometimes we go early and then pool, etc. But, now that I have teens, they like to sleep late. We do other activities during the day--pool, crafts, etc., and then go into the parks in late afternoon/evening and stay until midnight. It was so fun! I take an umbrella to keep the sun off of me and wear a visor. We get our FP+ for afternoon.
For younger kids, my strategy would be, get to park by 9am, ride a few rides, then use your FP+. I get FP+ for 11am, noon, 1pm, then get a FP+ for the evening, eat lunch in the park, go back to room, enjoy A/C, pool, and then early supper in the room, and back into the park @ 6pm. Eating in the room for dinner saves $, time, and usually gets us past the thunderstorms. I could easily stay @ WDW for 2 weeks in Aug. Have fun! Elaine

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Thank you, Elaine! Your post was very encouraging - and helpful!

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Big difference in temps from April and October to summers as others have said.
To me, there was a difference, but not much. We've been in January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October and December. January, February and December were the only significantly cooler times. While our 4-week August trip was definitely hot and steamy, I didn't think it was significantly worse than May or September, and it was pretty close to some of the March/April and early October days, too. March/April and October you get some heat breaks (although it's still hot), but many days are still pretty bad.

Looking at the climate data, July and August have an average high of 91.5, and 25 days over 90. May and October are 87.8 and 84.6 with 12 and 3 days over 90. With the high humidity, mid to upper 80s vs. low 90s is still pretty miserable.

You just have to alter your touring to focus on mornings (or evenings) and indoor attractions.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PamMo, there's not so much Uber planning now with FP+. Just make your 3 FP+ for 11am+ each day. It is easy to switch the night prior, much harder on that day, as day trippers (who did not book earlier) have come into the parks and made their FP+. Then, just wing it until 11am. Most rides have small lines @ 9-10am. The tough FP+ to get are Mine Train and Elsa/Anna meet/greet. For those, you MUST make a FP+ @ 60 days out--good that you are onsite. It's worth getting up early @ 60 days out to make that Elsa FP+. Elsa/Anna are worth it for Frozen fans-so if no FP+, go early or very late. Mine train is fun if you can get a FP+, not worth a 2 hr wait, if not. Also, be sure to do Frozen sing a long at Studios, if they have it this summer. You used to be able to make a Be our Guest fastpass/reservation for lunch (at Belle's Castle in MK)--it's really fun and not very $$ for lunch. Surf disboards.com to find out if you can still make them--it's not thru the FP+ system. If so, I definitely recommend BOG for lunch. If you can't get a reservation, then go to BOG around 2-2:30pm for a late lunch-usually not a bad wait. It's worth the wait! They have dinner too, but it's $$$$, and then you are committed to being in the park at dinnertime vs. DVC for dinner--plus, if it's storming, who wants to stay in the park and wait for dinner?
Have an awesome time! Elaine

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Looking at the climate data, July and August have an average high of 91.5, and 25 days over 90. May and October are 87.8 and 84.6 with 12 and 3 days over 90. With the high humidity, mid to upper 80s vs. low 90s is still pretty miserable.

The problem with averages is you just might have an above average year.
This year we are definitely having an above average high temp year down here in Miami.
I with my Floridian blood, rarely go to the beach or pool in April and May, yet it's already been hot enough for both. I can't imagine what July and August will be like this year. If this heat wave is any indication, we may be in for a very active tropical summer. I hope not but sure feels like it now. :bawl:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is a HUGE difference from April/May and Aug. Yes--think sauna--but with proper clothing, sunscreen, water, shade, pools, and A/C, it's totally workable.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
Our family friends pay full price to stay at the Grand Floridian in the middle of July. We asked them why since it's so hot. They said they don't care and have been doing it for years. I tried it for the whole of June, once, and it was fine. Golf courses are really cheap, but the rains could come in anytime in the afternoons, then stop. We enjoyed it but it wasn't ideal. I would do it again though as Orlando is my favorite place.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we are there in summer---rarely, but we do it---we spend a lot more time in the waterparks and at the resort pool. If we do a theme park, we rope drop in the morning, and are in an air-conditioned sit-down lunch no later than about 11:30 or so, after which we leave. We don't come back until dinner time, when it finally starts to cool off a touch.

kelm

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have gone in August and I didn't find it that bad. Always seems to be a chance of rain so the clouds provide good shade. The one day it was full sun and my 2 kids were doing the Star Wars Jedi thing, I took out my umbrella for shade. It made standing there bearable.
We had gone in April one year and they had a heat wave that week- close to 100° everyday. So you never know!

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's funny you mention the umbrella. Was just talking to my DD (who just turned 8) about our upcoming summer Orlando trip. Her advice to me was to bring umbrellas for the afternoon rain "but also for the sun even though it looks weird." And her other pointer is don't forget to bring a mermaid tail for the pools :) she did the Mermaid Academy and now associates Orlando pools with mermaid tails. Solid advice from an Orlando expert.

I always carry frozen bottle water with me to park. If you aren't going grocery shopping, ship some water to your hotel via Amazon prime. Also another pointer is Disney parks will give you free cups of water if you don't want to carry bottled water.

Last edited:

PinkTink63

TUG Member
Reaction score
No...you are not crazy!!. Yes, it is hot and humid! (Not gonna lie!:rofl:) Drink lots of water!! You have your stormy weather in the afternoons but it usually doesn't last!! The one thing about Disney World...air conditioning all around!! Just prepare yourself for it! You will be fine!

I should mention that we go almost every year in the summer months (July-August). This year we are trying Sept!

Last edited:

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
It's Hot but hey it's Disney!!!

Well, we live in South Florida - so we might be a little more used to the heat then some.

We JUST got back Friday from a week at Disney. I found most parks to be tolerable with the exception of the Magic Kingdom. For some reason it was the hardest - not good news with little ones in tow. But, you will have to take it really easy with them at MK. Hollywood Studios has lots of shade and shows, Epcot - well there is VERY COLD beer and Animal Kingdom is always cool. We could live at Animal Kingdom!!! So, if it's the only time you can go - go for it.

You will see lots of tour groups from Brazil - mostly girls, really cute, always singing, dancing and very happy. Just do not step in front of the guy with the flag!

Have FUN!

ibcnu

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
We usually go to WDW during Christmas/New Years, but a few years ago we took DD on a college tour of UCF in Orlando. The walking tour started at 10:00 a.m. and it was BRUTALLY hot and humid!!

My only suggestion is first do WDW, then go to Vero to relax and unwind after WDW in the summer. Visit WDW in the early morning and leave by late morning and return late afternoon. In the interval, hit the pool or relax in air conditioning.

Have a great time!

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Disney. We went to the parks after 4 pm (except Animal Kingdom). Not only survived but enjoyed the parks comfortably in the evening. And this comes from a lifelong Michiganer where it was a big deal that we had recently had two 90 degree days back-to-back. I'd still pick October as my fav month but will go anytime.

blondietink

Reaction score
We have been to WDW many times in August after most of the crowds are gone. The heat and humidity are oppressive to say the least.

1. Go to the parks right at opening for early EMH and do as much as you can until lunch time.
2. Go back to your villa for lunch/nap/swim.
3. Go back to the parks around 5 or 6 pm and stay until closing. Or if a park has evening EMH until 2 am, go later and stay until closing. The parks are awesome in the summer at night.
4. It will rain every afternoon around 4 pm. Plan on it and take extra pairs of shoes so you can wear a pair while one is drying.
5. July is one of the dreaded BTG (Brazilian Tour Group) months. Beware, they are pushy, loud, take up lots of space. You have probably never seen them in your October trips. Actually it is not just Brazilians, but just large groups in general from mostly South America. This is their winter vacation and Disney markets heavily to attract them, but they really do get in the way.
6. Drink lots of water.
7. Slow down, you will never be able to keep up the pace of an October trip in July.
8. Go to the 2nd showings of Fantasmic and the Main Street Electrical Parade. There will be no crowds for the 2nd shows.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent tips, which mirror the suggestions I've made to many friends. The one thing I would add would be to alternate outdoor and indoor attractions, so you have a chance to cool down. Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, Philharmagic, and others might not be top tier attractions, but the air conditioning makes them far more appealing in the summer. ;)

Shelb14

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, done it in July and August with nieces and nephews during their summer break. We're doing it again this July :)

It's just like everyone said HOT & HUMID. Expect daily brief mid afternoon shower. The humidity is brutal so keep an eye on the little ones.

The parks will be crowded. Avoid the parks offering an extra hour in the morning and/or evening. They tend to be the most crowded on those days.

We try to get to the parks as soon as they open and hit all of the popular rides before lunch. It's nice to catch the indoor air conditioned shows in the afternoon, spend the afternoon at your resort pool and/or head to the waterpark in the afternoon. ;)

Good Luck

I agree with *almost* everything alysonvac said except in our experience the afternoon rain storms were more like a *deluge* than a *shower*!

I have to share....
We have a funny memory of getting caught in a huge rain storm while leaving Animal Kingdom. Hubs forgot our tix that morning, so left me, my parents & 2 kids at AK entrance and went back to get them. Needless to say, my parents & I did not know where he parked the car when he returned. When the sky started turning gray later that day at AK, we headed back to car. My mom had to stop at the restroom so Dad & I waited for her, while hubs kept moving w/ the kids in the double stroller. He made it to the car & got kids in, but the skies opened up as he was loading the stroller. When we hit the parking lot, we could see a wall of water moving towards us. We got soaked! I had a cute handmade purse and all the colors in it ran all over my clothes. We didn't know where the car was and we all wear glasses so none of us could see. I tried calling hubs on my cell but it would not work with all the rain hitting the screen. It's one of our favorite stories to recount!! Now we bring ponchos!!

We've been to Disney twice in late August and are headed back again next month (for 2 weeks). We added water parks now that our kids are both Elementary school age. Yes it's hot and humid for sure, but my husband works in the school system, so we're limited on when we can go. Unless you have a medical condition or are very sensitive to the heat, I think you'd be just fine. Then again, I would go to Disney anytime of year!

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone is right on these posts :D -

It can be done and many do it. We have done it plenty of times in the past. End of June, July and end of August. Now of course, no need to follow school schedule but it happens and will happen when we will go again during this time. As we get older, can't tolerate the heat as much. I know soon I will be doing this again (maybe lol) with the grandchildren.

If that is the only time you can go, go and have fun. Just be prepared.

As many have suggested - go early, leave for an afternoon swim, nap, relax and head back out in the early evening.

Hats, sunscreen, lot's of water and ponchos are a must. Comfortable clothes too.

The water parks are great. Spend more time at the resort. Pool or Community Hall. Enjoy the indoor rides and restaurants. I would also suggest to take a thin, long sleeve shirt for everyone. It will be cold inside and on the busses. The kids on the busses are freezing when they get on.

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
well, we went to WDW and spent a week at Bonnet Creek just a few weeks ago.... actually we felt the mornings were AWLFUL mainly from the sun but after the afternoon showers it always seemed to cool down. we are from Ohio and didn't mind the heat at all... our grandchildren ages 5 and 7 walked the Magic Kingdom for 12 hrs straight with no complaining.... lol and THEY are already making our plans for our next family trip there.... Dave P.S. I would much rather have heat then our North West Ohio winters..... :hi: