• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is Holiday Inn Cape Canaveral (Ron Jon) worth it?

islandog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just confirmed a 2 bdr at Holiday Inn Vacation Club (old Ron Jon) for Thanksgiving week 2016. It costs me 26 points. I had to combine 20 points and a leftover 6 points to get the 26 points - $109. Then I had to pay the $210trading fee to RCI. Then I got the insurance - $49 (just in case). I figure the maintenance fees I paid for my New Bern unit was around $800. Then I had to add another year to my RCI membership - $99 - plus this year's fee - another $99. I checked the resort website and I could rent a 2 bdr for the Thanksgiving week this year (they didn't have next year's yet listed) for around $1300. This is less than I paid. I sure hope it is worth it.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can not compare Ron Jon with any New Bern Resorts in the state of NC. Ron Jon is like a Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt Resort compare to any New Bern resort in my opinion. It is on the beach, close to the Disney cruise port, on site restaurants, children playgrounds,out doors pools, a lazy river and so much more. New Bern is so laid back, a place for total R&R.

Enjoy your week at Ron Jon.

Also you are near all the theme parks in Orlando, FL. (Disney and Universal).

Plus some outstanding shopping centers & restaurants in Orlando.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A few years ago, my wife and I went to see Ron Jons, it is a gorgeous resort! If there happens to be a launch that week, the resort is the best viewing. So, it is worth every penny.

TS

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed there last summer with a 4th of July rental and have RCI reservation for summer 2016. If you think about it, there aren't many resorts with a lazy river AND a beach. This resort has a lot of family activities, including a petting zoo presentation. We took day trips to Kennedy Space Center and Brevard Zoo. Definitely worth the exchange!

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Less than $200 a night for a top notch resort is less than 2 cramped hotel rooms. Enjoy your time there!

lisa3635

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed there for a night before a Disney cruise in October and LOVED it. We definitely want to go back for a week sometime. The pools are great. We loved the lazy river. It is a really close to the beach.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't stayed there but I have treated my sister to exchanges into it. She LOVES it. You got a great exchange!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
It is now Holiday Inn Vacation Club At Cape Canaveral. We stayed there last fall. It was very nice. Close to Jetty Park and cruise line Port Canaveral. Lot quieter area than Orlando or Kissimmee. Nice beach and suites. One thing I didn't like is they allow smoking on the balconies. We were out on our balcony and got whifs of smoke from others below us. The resort is great for kids and adults, they have a tram to the beach, although it is in walking distance. You will enjoy it.
TerryC

Jolson

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just stayed at this resort this past April and it was great. The pool area is really nice with a large main pool, lazy river and a water slide. They also have a nice little bar that you can order food from so that was convenient. The main complex is about a 6-8 minute walk to the beach. They have another building which is considered oceanfront and it is right on the beach. If you want quiet and you are mainly doing the beach, this would the building for you. They also have a pretty consistent beach tram that runs back and forth and we never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for it.

We all thought the resort was really nice and had a blast!

islandog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice

Thank you guys for the wonderful comments. I feel so much better about my pick and I know my family will have a lot to look forward to. It just seems that RCI trade vacations just keep costing more and more. I used to feel that I was getting great resorts at bargain prices. But now quite often the prices with maintenance fees, membership fees, trade fees, etc. can jack the price up to near market prices. But this did offer us an opportunity for a fun family getaway that I probably would not have done if I hadn't been able to trade and I won't be staying home eating dry turkey next year. Woo hoo

traveldaddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great post.

Interesting to know all of the info from others experience. We have a March break 2016 RCI trade into this resort. It is great to hear that others enjoyed the place. Now I am really looking forward to it......as long as I can get some decent airfare that is!

Thanks to all whom replied.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thank you guys for the wonderful comments. I feel so much better about my pick and I know my family will have a lot to look forward to. It just seems that RCI trade vacations just keep costing more and more. I used to feel that I was getting great resorts at bargain prices. But now quite often the prices with maintenance fees, membership fees, trade fees, etc. can jack the price up to near market prices. But this did offer us an opportunity for a fun family getaway that I probably would not have done if I hadn't been able to trade and I won't be staying home eating dry turkey next year. Woo hoo

Hence the concept of buying where you want to go every year instead of just based on trading it. That is why I stopped my membership to RCI- thank goodness we love our home resorts. Occasionally exchange through free memberships with the independents and rent when we want to go somewhere else for an extra vacation. Funny thing is, we many times exchange or rent right back into our home resorts! LOL!

In any event- enjoy your trade. It sounds like it will be awesome!

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live locally so have only walked around the resort, only stayed there. It looks like a blast to me. My only hesitation with it would be the location...it's in an really industrial area for some reason. Given the right exchange I'd stay there though! You'll have a great time!