• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

3 Timeshares for Free! I Need Help! Where do I start?

Novice

Reaction score
Sorry for this new thread. I read other threads and did the search function as much as I could, but I just registered tonight.

My Dad passed away (years ago) and he had three timeshares in Marriot Cypress Harbour. I am the youngest of five children. They recently asked me if I wanted any of them, or all of them at no cost. All I have to do is pay the maintenance fees.

I don't make a lot of money, but I also don't want any money left on the table. They said they couldn't sell them in the current environment, and that they were going to give them back to Marriott.

So my choice is to take them, or leave them be. I believe that one of the weeks is for Easter weekend, and that my father paid more for that. I am the youngest of five and I don't have much experience in this. I really don't know how this works.

I want to know if I should do this. What should I do? Where should I read? I like talking to real people like this forum has.

Marriott has a high rating. People like it. I went there with my family and I liked it too. It isn't just a mirage. I have been there and the facilities are excellent. But three units? That will be three grand a year.

Can I rent these units if I buy them right now? Will I take a big hit? I am thinking that the payment is due and that my siblings aren't willing to pay anymore, and that they are releasing these properties at the last moment when I don’t have the time to rent them. And I can’t afford not to rent them. For a guy that doesn't make much and frequently in bad times skips vacations, paying all these fees seems like a disaster.

I told my wife about the call tonight. I have an opportunity to get three of these extraordinary units for free basically. My dad bought them and nobody else wants them. I love the units myself, and I have two children. Is this a good investment? I am not even going to pay anything. It is going to be deeded over. I just don’t want to pay $3,000 and then have a bad feeling. The most I would use it is 1 week a year. The other two I would have to rent. Is that easy?

This was sprung upon me tonight.. I don’t know what to say. I am asking for your help.

Is it easy to rent these things? Should I take all three? Should I just back away and never look back? Should I take the best one with the Easter Weekend?

To be honest with you, I am not a high flyer with a high disposable income. My brothers and sisters all make more than me, and if they don’t want these units for free that means that they are worthless in some of my assumptions. I have some successful siblings, and they didn’t want to touch it. I am the youngest and probably the black sheep of the family, though you didn’t need all that information.

I need to know how tough it is to rent these things out, even if I take a moderate loss in the first year. I would need to rent them.. The market could come back, and in the interim I could use them with my family, but not all three. I do love the Marriot brand, and I think we could be leaving something on the table by just not paying the fees and giving them back. This could also be a boon to me if in three years they are worth real money.

I don’t know what to do or what my options are. I want to do the best thing possible, but I don’t know what that is.

Another question is, if we get one of these units in our name and pay the money for a year, will it hurt our credit rating if we don’t re-up the next year? We pay our bills, and I don’t want to commit to something like that if it would hurt our credit, or high school and college applications. We may not make much but we pay our bills and have a perfect credit rating. I don’t want to be in a situation where someone could say that we didn’t pay our bills.

So what do I do? What are the risks? What are the benefits? Is Easter Weekend all that? Should I at least snag that one?

God Bless you all for considering my thoughts and giving me some answers in advance. Thanks for your help, both pro and con. I will consider it all. I have no idea and I need some help and guidance.

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
Since I don't own in Orlando, I can only give you general advice. Since it is so late, you probably not get many answers until tomorrow, but I am sure many people will give you advice.

With my limited knowledge of Cypress Harbour, I would say an Easter week has excellent rental potential, as many families would choose Orlando for a vacation, and the villas provide a great place to stay, save on meals, and have fun without spending all days at the parks.

However, three weeks would be a pretty big project to take on if you are concerned about the additional annual expense. You should find out exactly how much must be paid to bring the maintenance fees up to date. As far as I know, you cannot just give the weeks back to Marriott, and you certainly should not have the deeds transferred to you if you have any thoughts of not keeping them if they are too much for you. Then you alone would be the one on the hook for past and future maintenance fees.

As far as the weeks appreciating, if you start at zero investment, it is remotely possible they could be sold for more at some point. However, with the economy today, many timeshare prices have been in free fall, and there may not be any appreciation.

Again, this is just general observations, and I am sure that someone will be able to answer specifics concerning Cypress Harbour.

Good luck. If you can swing one week, I would go for that. But be sure you know all the financial implications first.

P.S. Read "Dazed and Confused" thread about getting rid of a timeshare. You could call the resale dept. as well, to see if they would take back two, if you want to keep one.

Last edited:

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just ask yourself one question. "Can you afford to spend in excess of $3000 every Dec/Jan on the MFs?"

Do you spend that sort of money and more every year on vacations?

Renting is not a given and has its pitfalls. Think long and hard before you decide.

In the end only you and your wife can decide.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I would take 1 of the three and worst case you can sale it on ebay.

A Cypress Harbor Platinum season unit is wort something.

Of course assume you will be paying $1100 per year to continue to own it

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Welcome to TUG, and you came to the right place for information.

I would pass on all three timeshares. One or more may individually have value and you probably could accomplish your goal of renting them and breaking even or possibly generating a modest profit, but the stress that would come from this would be significant.

I don't mean just financial stress, although I believe that would come as well. I believe the difficulty that comes from learning what you own, figuring out how to best utilize it, looking for renters, negotiating with renters, and hoping the renters don't trash it. And the return from successfully renting your timeshares will not be huge.

These are good properties, but there aren't so good that you are being offered a can't miss opportunity here. You can miss and the units could be vacant.

If you and your family want to adopt the timeshare vacation lifestyle, there are other more cost effective ways to approach it that aren't as dramatic as committing to $3,000 annually in Maintenance Fees.

If you want to become a timeshare landlord, this is a long and complicated decision and I don't believe these are the best properties to do so.

If you absolutely have to do something, take the best of the three and hope. With a little more information, we could help you confirm which is the best of the three.

Good luck with your decision,

Greg

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
A lot depends on your desire to live a TS lifestyle. Do you need/want more space when you travel? Are you able to travel for at least one to three weeks a year? Given that these are Orlando weeks, I wouldn't expect to be able to rent this for any type of gain and renting for a profit will not be easy. Cypress Harbour didn't have any fixed weeks, so it isn't possible to own a specific Easter week. While it may be a unit that is in the same season that Easter falls, it is first come first served when reserving your week.

Are you also able to plan a year in advance? Reserving the best weeks require that you make your reservations 12 to 13 months in advance. Not everyone can or will plan that far in advance.

Given that these are being received out of an estate, they should still be able to be enrolled in the DC program. Do some more reading as the new program has some advantages for those that don't need a whole weeks vacation at one time or can't plan as far in advance.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I were you I would just let these weeks go. They should be worth a lot of money but they really aren't worth anything. Lots of people talk about renting as if it is easy when the truth is, you have to discount your price to near or below maint. fees to get a renter. Some people have good success renting and will likely chime in to explain their success but the truth is, the rental market is very depressed right now. Lots of owners with unrealisitc prices but those weeks on redweek and here on TUG sit forever and I thin most age off the boards without a sale.

If you can affor more like 1,200 a year in dues, then by all means keep one of those weeks. Just, as a person who has only been timesharing for less than 2 years, I have found Cypress Harbor to be about the most sure trade there is in the Marriott family for Orlando.

Not trying to discourage you in any means but your post was so long, this must be a gut wrenching decision for you and I would hate for you to be led into believing you can rent these weeks. Maybe you might find one renter for one of the weeks, but I can't see there being much of a profit, if any.

You will be able to get some great trades if you keep the unit, but the dues will only go up and I would assume you will be at 1.2k a year for this resort within the next year or two. Marriott has a history of increasing dues about $100 a year, a little less for some resorts, a lot more for others.

Good luck.

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
Taking all three weeks in your sitution sounds too much!

If you can travel there for one week a year, you should not own more than one week. Are you sure you can afford driving or flying down to Disney? Would you be willing to be close to Disney without spending a lot of money at the parks?

A Disney vacation costs a lot of money even if you an stay in your won timeshare for just $1,100 annual maintenance fees.

As there are no fixed Easter weks at Cypres Harbour you should find out what exactly you would be getting and posting the info here before making any decision.

I do not think it is worth the potential upside of perhaps renting for $100 above maintenance fess and perhaps being able to sell them for $1,000 if you are really lucky.

This small potential upside would involve a lot of work to find renters or buyers, cost money in advertising costs and bears a lot of risk to be stuck with the maintenance fees (that would of course hurt your credit if you stop paying it!) without being able to rent or sell the units.

Have you asked your sibling why they do not want to keep the weeks? I do not think it is too easy just to give them back to marriott without defaulting on the maintenance fees and hurting your credit.

I would pass this opportunity unless you

1) are really sure you can use the one week you take if it does not rent or
2) you have a lot of time and energy to really learn the rules of the timeshare game and can take the risks mentioned above

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I think the first thing you need to do is find the specifics of each of the weeks- what season are they, what size units? Have any reservations been made for 2012? Are the annual MF's up to date and is any money owed (were there any loans to purchase)?

If everything is up to date and you can afford it, taking what appears to be a Platinum week could be a nice way for you and your family to get into timesharing, IF you can afford the $1000 a year annual fee and enjoy going to Orlando at least some years.

Some things to consider- can you drive to Orlando? You mention you enjoyed going there; do you want to return frequently? Do you want to/ can you afford to go to other places at this point in your life and, if so, would you enjoy learning about timesharing and the ins and outs of trading? I sense money is tight, but not sure how tight it is. Especially if you could drive there, it could be a wonderful way for you to have a low cost family vacation. The benefit to Marriott timeshares is that you get resort amenities with apartment space, and can save a lot on a vacation with the kitchen facilities. So, there are a lot of pluses to ownership and use.

However, there is an annual obligation to MF's whether or not you use it. IF you reserve a prime week you may be able to rent it, but Orlando has tons of competitive rentals so the rental prices are not great, and I wouldn't take it planning to rent it. I'd only take it if I was planning to use it.

There are other options, like enrolling the weeks in the new DC, etc.. Again, we'd best be able to advise you if we had more specifics as to what the weeks are, were they developer purchases, etc.? For example, they could all be high demand weeks, or two may be "mud" weeks and have little value. If all high demand weeks that can be enrolled in the DC, that may present some interesting options for you, but at the end of the day you have to be able to swing the 3K in annual MF's. If you can't afford that then it doesn't matter that the units are free, even if they are all Platinum (although prime units may have some resale value and be worth selling).

I think the biggest question is whether you can afford the 3k, or even $1000 each and every year, or whether it would quickly become an albatross. If you feel you'd like to dip your toes into timesharing, so to speak, and can afford it, then post back with more specifics and we'll be able to better advise you. Only take even one unit IF you'd really enjoy it and be able to make use of it, not because of obligation.

Good luck!! If ultimately you do decide to take one or more units, stick around and learn how to best utilize the ownership. At any extent, if you are considering taking your siblings up on their offer, get the specifics from them and post the information here for better advice. If they don't know, get the unit numbers off the paperwork and call Marriott Owner Services for more specific information.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you need to do a bit more homework before you decide. First you need to get access to your fathers MVCI account to see exactly what you are being offered. Second you need to know what season the weeks are in. It looks like they are Special season and that's good as they are the most valuable followed by Summer and Sport season. Third you need to confirm with MVCI that these weeks will transfer with all benefits. That means you can swap them for MRP's and enroll them in the DC exchange system if he hasn't done that already.

Assuming that they will transfer without a hitch and you can enroll them in the DC exchange you will have some financial decisions to make. A quick look at the rental prices on Redweek indicates that they really don't rent for much more than the MF's but it looks like they rent easily for about $300 less than the MF which would mean a $900 loss annually. If you can enroll in the DC and rent the points for $.45 you'd make an annual profit of about $500.

Right now you don't know anything about the options I've described. You'll have to immerse yourself in a crash course in Timesharing and that might be too much to take on right now.

One thing to consider. If those weeks are Special season and they are eligible for enrollment they would give you 7950 DC points. That amount of points will get you into a 2bdrm at Lahaina and Napili villas in Maui. A person desiring to buy that amount of points would pay almost $80,000 and have a $3054 annual MF.

Do your homework before you make a decision.

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
Let them go. You can't afford it. Plus, remember these timeshares could become worth LESS THAN ZERO... that is, you could have to pay to get rid of them! There are a lot of timeshares like that. So far I believe all Marriotts have stoped zero but that's not to say it will always be like that. It just doesn't sound like your income/assets would make this a wise move. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I agree with the others - timesharing is a very nice way to vacation but it requires an ongoing financial commitment as well as a working knowledge in order to make the most of it. Only you can know if the financial commitment, including the extra travel expenses that have been mentioned, is worth it as well as if your budget can absorb it. The working knowledge can be had for free here on TUG but there's a lot to learn and it's impossible for you to learn/know everything without practical application. I hope your family is giving you some time to learn at least the basics so you can come to an informed decision.

Aside from your personal decision of whether to take one or all of the weeks, I'm extremely interested in how your family is eventually able to get rid of whatever weeks aren't wanted by any of you. Specifically, I'd like to know if and how Marriott helps you, if you contact them prior to trying to sell the weeks on the external market. Some owners love that their ownership is deeded and thus can be passed on to heirs but I'm not sure that's as much a benefit as a burden. I really don't want to pass an ongoing financial obligation to my kids if they don't want it, but I've never seen a related discussion on TUG which involves heirs in that position. It would be nice to gain some first-hand knowledge related to inheritance divestiture if you're willing to share it.

And finally, welcome to TUG! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Let them go. You can't afford it. Plus, remember these timeshares could become worth LESS THAN ZERO... that is, you could have to pay to get rid of them! There are a lot of timeshares like that. So far I believe all Marriotts have stoped zero but that's not to say it will always be like that. It just doesn't sound like your income/assets would make this a wise move. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

I agree, do NOT take them

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep one

We've found our timeshare is most beneficial with children. The extra space... the laundry facilities... the ability to eat in the unit rather than a restaurant for every meal (kids get tired on vacation and you hate to waste money on food at a restaurant and sit through a meal when everyone is tired).

Other benefits:
1. pack less-- roll on/carry on the plane and save baggage fees. You can wash clothes in the unit.
2. Sleep -- kids can go to bed early while parents stay up in another room.
3. Usually nicer pools than a Fairfield or Courtyard or a Days Inn!

It's kinda funny that when you need a timeshare the most is when you can least afford it. When you can "afford" it, your kids are grown.

Orlando has proven to be a much better trader than we expected (you just have to reserve a strong week for trading purposes).

Actually, we have found ourselves going to Orlando because it's CHEAP! Many times we've gone to Orlando because we've stumbled upon a $29 (each way) airfare. We've used Interval getaways ($399 for a week!). We bought ten day Disney tickets years ago that don't expire and locked in our prices. We only go to a theme park a couple of days and spend the rest of the time at the pools, going to the Orlando Science Museum (free if you are a member of another science museum), walking around Downtown Disney (free), visiting some public parks and we eat many meals in the unit. We also take along DVD's and microwave popcorn and have family movie nights (because we don't have the distractions we have when we're at home).

Our friends think we're crazy when they find out we're going to Orlando "again." Since we've been many times, we don't feel like we "have to" do it all. Orlando can be a great getaway and a place to relax.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Let 'em go. For all the reasons above. You can always get free- or darn near free timeshares, but at this time of your life, timeshares are not a wise acquisition.

If you find out exactly what you have, and the Easter week one REALLY is fixed Easter week, AND you want to take on the obligation to vacation there year after year or put forth the effort and money to exchange it, keep that one. But don't feel obligated.

It appears you have a one-time opportunity to pass on them. If you accept one or all of them, the ever increasing obligation goes on and on and on until YOU find someone to take them off your hands.

Jim Ricks

Lardan

Reaction score
To me it boils down to cost of maintence fees, yes I can afford to pay them, no I can't. I would definitely not take them if I had to depend on renting them out to cover (or a portion of) the maint. fees. Why bother to have the hassel and stress of this when you can't afford to use them (or one)?

I am very sorry for you to be in this situation, but maybe down the road timesharing will be affordable to you.

Last edited:

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's kinda funny that when you need a timeshare the most is when you can least afford it. When you can "afford" it, your kids are grown.

I absolutely agree. I'll add that when I first got into timesharing I though 2bd units would be fine. I didn't anticipate my kids would be so proliferate in the baby making thing. Now I've got eight grandkids and I wish I had bought all 3bdrms.

OldPantry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for this new thread. I read other threads and did the search function as much as I could, but I just registered tonight.

My Dad passed away (years ago) and he had three timeshares in Marriot Cypress Harbour. I am the youngest of five children. They recently asked me if I wanted any of them, or all of them at no cost. All I have to do is pay the maintenance fees.

I don't make a lot of money ...
To be honest with you, I am not a high flyer with a high disposable income. My brothers and sisters all make more than me, and if they don’t want these units for free that means that they are worthless in some of my assumptions. I have some successful siblings, and they didn’t want to touch it. I am the youngest and probably the black sheep of the family, though you didn’t need all that information.

I need to know how tough it is to rent these things out, even if I take a moderate loss in the first year. I would need to rent them..
Another question is, if we get one of these units in our name and pay the money for a year, will it hurt our credit rating if we don’t re-up the next year? We pay our bills, and I don’t want to commit to something like that if it would hurt our credit, or high school and college applications. We may not make much but we pay our bills and have a perfect credit rating. I don’t want to be in a situation where someone could say that we didn’t pay our bills.

Hi novice. Unless you have plenty of excess "fritter" money (I mean above and beyond ALL other more serious obligations), I would advise you to pass. Recurring, ever increasing, obligations can sink a budget and ruin a credit rating (as would happen if you chose to default on the legal obligation to pay all maintenance fees). Renting is no picnic. I've been trying to rent a unit for months (redweek.com), with not even a nibble. Save yourself the stress, thank the sibs for the offer, and go camping until your finances allow for fancy.

Last edited:

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who owns it now?

Wait a minute, your Dad passed away YEARS ago and just NOW you are being asked if you want the timeshares? Who is asking, your siblings?

I don't mean to sound harsh or insensitive (and I'm sorry for your loss) but these questions matter. Who owns the TS now? Why are they giving it away now? If it is a money issue, and given the timing I assume it is, why don't they just "rent it out" for the MFs? Most likely because they can't.

I'm not sure if your siblings (or anyone else who owns the TS now), give you the TS weeks, that you would qualify for all the benefits described in the earlier posts, specifically the Marriott reward point redemption or Marriott's Destination Club (DC) enrollment. Also, I'm not sure you can just "give it back" to Marriott. If the weeks were in probate maybe, but since your dad passed years ago probate is long over.

I think in order for the membership of this board to help you, more background is needed. Good luck to you, and with more specific information we can help you further.

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
. . . I can’t afford not to rent them. Then don't try

The most I would use it is 1 week a year. The other two I would have to rent. Is that easy? NO and you should therefore limit your consideration to one at most

This could also be a boon to me if in three years they are worth real money. Very unlikely

I don’t know what to do or what my options are. I want to do the best thing possible, but I don’t know what that is.

Another question is, if we get one of these units in our name and pay the money for a year, will it hurt our credit rating if we don’t re-up the next year? Probably

We pay our bills, and I don’t want to commit to something like that if it would hurt our credit, or high school and college applications. We may not make much but we pay our bills and have a perfect credit rating. I don’t want to be in a situation where someone could say that we didn’t pay our bills.

So what do I do? What are the risks? What are the benefits? Is Easter Weekend all that? Should I at least snag that one? Don't believe Cypress has fixed weeks - they all float

God Bless you all for considering my thoughts and giving me some answers in advance. Thanks for your help, both pro and con. I will consider it all. I have no idea and I need some help and guidance.

You've mostly asked and answered your own questions - Pass on all three

Novice

Reaction score
First off, I would like to thank everyone that has chimed in so far. You have all given me some critical food for thought and I want you to know that I appreciate that.

It is a bit overwhelming since I got the call last night. It is a lot to digest in a short period of time. Half of me is excited and the other half is saying "Run Away!"

I got some more details on the units.

They are not for a specific week, but for a range of weeks.

Three units.

1 unit is in the "Special" season, which includes week 51 & 52, as well as week 1 to week 17.

2 units are "Sports" season, which I believe includes Thanksgiving if you can schedule it. Obviously for 2012 that is not an option

The "Special Season" unit fees are $1,013.23 this year.

The "Sports Season" unit fees are $996.77 this year.

They told me that these units are eligible to be traded in for points. Here are the points that they gave me.

Special Season can trade-in for 110,000 points.

Sports Season is trade-in for 90,000 points.

I think I forgot to write down the fees associated with trading in for points, unless it is $119 which I have written down on the pad aimlessly.

I don't know what that really means, but you guys wanted details.

They also told me that an interval account is $89 a year and the cost to redeem a week is in a range from $129 to 169.

More personal info:

The units were all in the name of my father, who passed away. They were transferred into the name of my mother, who has dementia and is now in a home. Apparently nobody else in my family is interested in taking these on, and they aren't doing my mom any good as she is in a nursing home. I expect that they have already tried to sell them but to no avail, and that if I don't want them they will approach Marriott and try to get them to take them back.

Any other questions on details I will try to answer.

Thanks again and in advance, I am still trying to process my thoughts.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't make a lot of money, but I also don't want any money left on the table. They said they couldn't sell them in the current environment, and that they were going to give them back to Marriott.

So my choice is to take them, or leave them be. I believe that one of the weeks is for Easter weekend, and that my father paid more for that. I am the youngest of five and I don't have much experience in this. I really don't know how this works.

I want to know if I should do this. What should I do? Where should I read? I like talking to real people like this forum has.

Marriott has a high rating. People like it. I went there with my family and I liked it too. It isn't just a mirage. I have been there and the facilities are excellent. But three units? That will be three grand a year.

Can I rent these units if I buy them right now? Will I take a big hit? I am thinking that the payment is due and that my siblings aren't willing to pay anymore, and that they are releasing these properties at the last moment when I don’t have the time to rent them. And I can’t afford not to rent them. For a guy that doesn't make much and frequently in bad times skips vacations, paying all these fees seems like a disaster.

I told my wife about the call tonight. I have an opportunity to get three of these extraordinary units for free basically. My dad bought them and nobody else wants them. I love the units myself, and I have two children. Is this a good investment? I am not even going to pay anything. It is going to be deeded over. I just don’t want to pay $3,000 and then have a bad feeling. The most I would use it is 1 week a year. The other two I would have to rent. Is that easy?

This was sprung upon me tonight.. I don’t know what to say. I am asking for your help.

Is it easy to rent these things? Should I take all three? Should I just back away and never look back? Should I take the best one with the Easter Weekend?

I need to know how tough it is to rent these things out, even if I take a moderate loss in the first year. I would need to rent them.. The market could come back, and in the interim I could use them with my family, but not all three. I do love the Marriot brand, and I think we could be leaving something on the table by just not paying the fees and giving them back. This could also be a boon to me if in three years they are worth real money.

So what do I do? What are the risks? What are the benefits? Is Easter Weekend all that? Should I at least snag that one?

I would suggest that you donate all of them to a worthy charity and take advantage of the tax write off.

A good, quick way to unload them, and maybe benefit financially....

Best of luck with your situation....

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tough decision. It basically boils down to how much you can afford annually to vacation. It sounds like your current situation will not support a $3000 annual expense. Only you can decide that. As others have stated that's an ongoing expense and you would lock yourself into paying it for as long as you own the units.

if you were to keep one I would keep the Special season and let the others go although I don't know how that could be accomplished without damaging the credit of you and your siblings. From what you've said your mother still owns them and regardless of her physical and mental condition she still is the one responsible for paying the MFs. Maybe Marriott will make an exception and help you out of this situation but as SueDonJ has posted none of us on TUG really knows how these types of situations are handled by Marriott.

As far as the fees are concerned you still have to find out if these weeks are eligible to be enrolled in the points system. If they are then an annual fee of $199 covers all the fees you mentioned for all three or $165 if you just keep the Special season week including the II fees.

Thanksgiving week 2012 is still available at Cypress Harbor.

Novice

Reaction score
Jim, they told me that the points were 110,000 for the special and 90,000 for the sports season. Isn't that the points we are talking about or are their different kinds of points?

The thought that my mother would not be able to get out of this even while incapacitated kind of scares me. If that is the case than maybe it should tell me something.

Did these things used to have a lot more value before the market crash?

Also, I called up for some information and I thought they said that Thanksgiving was already booked up. Did you check that online? I don't have the account information to access that at this point, and I am still waiting on a email from a family member to get those details.