• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"Buying" a TS week thru a 1031 Exchange

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of selling some income property and planning on doing a 1031 exchange. I have a Qualified Intermediary (QI) on board and am shopping for replacement properties. Most likely the "like-kind" replacement property won't be the exact same price and I may have a few grand left on the table.

I could pay gain on this "boot" or reinvest it. Since a few thousand dollars is not enough to buy anything "real" I though about buying a resale TS week(s). Maybe a lock-off or a high Starwood SVN points property; SVV or WKV?

Does anybody have experience with this? My thought was I could deduct the annual MFs as a rental expense and, occasionally rent some of the days/weeks derived from this ownership and use the others.

The purpose for doing is NOT to make money on the week I might rent but rather to deduct the MFs, use the week occasionally, and not pay taxes on the capital gain and recaptured depreciation.

Thoughts?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of selling some income property and planning on doing a 1031 exchange. I have a Qualified Intermediary (QI) on board and am shopping for replacement properties. Most likely the "like-kind" replacement property won't be the exact same price and I may have a few grand left on the table.

I could pay gain on this "boot" or reinvest it. Since a few thousand dollars is not enough to buy anything "real" I though about buying a resale TS week(s). Maybe a lock-off or a high Starwood SVN points property; SVV or WKV?

Does anybody have experience with this? My thought was I could deduct the annual MFs as a rental expense and, occasionally rent some of the days/weeks derived from this ownership and use the others.

The purpose for doing is NOT to make money on the week I might rent but rather to deduct the MFs, use the week occasionally, and not pay taxes on the capital gain and recaptured depreciation.

Thoughts?

Be careful ... you are require to exchange "LIKE for LIKE". Rental income should be a proved before you think you going to convert for personal use. In other words ... rent your NEW timeshare for several years - even at a loss of the MFs before you start to use it yourself. And remember the old adage, 10% maximum usage or 14 days max ... except a 7 day rental period, does not even make a 1 night stay before it becomes "personal use" under the 10% rule. And if you are using it as a personal thing, NO deduction except the listed RE tax.

Also, YOUR stated "The purpose for doing is NOT to make money on the week..." that statement alone will disqualify this as a "LIKE for LIKE" exchange ... as you are CLEARLY trying to avoid Capital Gains or RECAPTURE of previously deducted capital gains.... the penalties and interest are really big and bad ....

GET PROFESSIONAL INCOME TAX ADVICE before your get the CHECKS CUT or the DEAL DONE!....

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
So you would pay tax on the leftover cash(equity?) vs paying maintenance fees on the timeshare. I would think that in the long run the tax would be a lot less.

I would also think that your personal use would technically kill it as a true 1031 (but that would be nearly impossible to track).

...unless you post your plans on an internet forum, lol :D:D:D - couldn't resist.

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, YOUR stated "The purpose for doing is NOT to make money on the week..." that statement alone will disqualify this as a "LIKE for LIKE" exchange ... as you are CLEARLY trying to avoid Capital Gains or RECAPTURE of previously deducted capital gains.... the penalties and interest are really big and bad ....

GET PROFESSIONAL INCOME TAX ADVICE before your get the CHECKS CUT or the DEAL DONE!....

Thanks for the advice. For the record I would never admit to the statement "...NOT to make money... ."
I'm not that stupid.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks for the advice. For the record I would never admit to the statement "...NOT to make money... ."
I'm not that stupid.

Well, except you already posted it here, so it's a done deal! :D

RuralEngineer

TUG Member
Reaction score

having done a 1031 in the past i cannot image why you would want to do this. you can acquire contracts for $1. hmm, you are trying to do a 1031 for rental real estate + timeshares.

Last edited: