• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Selfie Sticks

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone else about had it with tourists/travelers with cell phones/cameras attached to selfie sticks sidling up to any scenic/historical site and snapping their own picture? I have never seen such self-centered, narcissistic behavior among people. On a resent trip I had to duck numerous times to keep from being clubbed by these non-thinking morons!

They should be outlawed! It won't happen, but it's a nice thought. About the only thing worse is those using full-size tablets for the same purpose. Blocking the view of other people while they hold the tablet out at arm's length while pinching, panning and bumping into others while composing their masterpiece.

Whatever happened to travel snapshots to simply remind one of where they've been? Do they need evidence that they are the center of attention?

Jim

Added: We just returned from a cruise of the Baltic Capitals, and going through museums like the Hermitage and other palaces and castles with large crowds of well-heeled tourists, it was like a large percentage of them had tomahawks or bludgeons waiting for an unsuspecting head to get in the way.

Last edited:

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought I was just getting old and grumpy.:ignore: Glad to hear it bothers other people as much as it bothers me. I think it's all about the snap chat or post on facebook opportunity. I also notice they all know how to pose to look great in the photos like they've been models. Maybe I should just give in to the trend and learn how to get a picture of me that I can stand to look at.:rofl:

Joan

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We just spent a week in Rocky Mountain National Park and took numerous photos of other visitors, and they took photos of us. I'm not sure what the difference is unless someone with a selfie stick is taking too long or spending time composing the perfect picture. If so, that is just obnoxious.

By the way, I saw exactly one selfie stick on this trip.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
They are being banned in certain venues, like museums.

I really haven't seen any around and I live in a fairly touristy spot. But maybe we don't attract the caliber of tourists who use them. ;)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Jim, did you see my comment in my Hawaii thread from the other day? Your timing is excellent. :)

What I said:

One thing I've noticed: Here in Hawaii, the "selfie stick" among Asian tourists is very much alive and well. While standing at a crowded scenic lookout, it's like being in a sword fight. Watch where you turn, or you'll get hit in the face with a mounted cellphone. Ouch!

I was tempted to buy one ($12.99 at ABC Stores in Waikiki) just I could feel like I was armed, too. But I resisted because I knew that I'd never use it, except as a weapon. :)

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim,Your timing is excellent. :)

One thing I've noticed: Here in Hawaii, the "selfie stick" among Asian tourists is very much alive and well. While standing at a crowded scenic lookout, it's like being in a sword fight. Watch where you turn, or you'll get hit in the face with a mounted cellphone. Ouch!

Maybe I stole your comment about the sword fight when I added the bit about the tomahawks and bludgeons. Great minds on the same one track. :)

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was recently at the Disneyland 60th anniversary celebration, and a guy was holding up a selfie stick to record a video of the light parade. Everyone else's view therefore included his cell-phone-on-a-stick.

To me, that's just plain rude. I couldn't speak to him because he was too far in font of me. If I had been closer, I sure would have.

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even worse, is the selfie stick combined with the go pro. A friend and I went night snorkeling in the water near the Sheraton in Kona. We were lucky in that the manta rays loved where she and I were situated and were doing a beautiful underwater ballet for us, swimming right up against our faces. But we were unlucky, as a man, two people away from us, shoved his go pro and stick in front of my friend so he could record the event. All she saw in front of her was a go pro. When it came my way I pushed it back towards him. It was probably a little rude, but there was no other way to let him know he was being incredibility thoughtless.

I am hearing more and more places banning the selfie stick, and am quite happy to hear it.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
if all I wanted was a picture of the Grand Canyon I would have stayed home and and snatched one off the internet. If I want one of my wife and I at the grandcanyon I have to ask a stranger to snap it or set up a tripod and use the timer...or a selfie stick...Im getting me one of them.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
if all I wanted was a picture of the Grand Canyon I would have stayed home and and snatched one off the internet. If I want one of my wife and I at the grandcanyon I have to ask a stranger to snap it or set up a tripod and use the timer...or a selfie stick...Im getting me one of them.

LOL. Good post.

My wife and I take a lot of selfies together and I actually find it pretty romantic. I like it better than asking a stranger to do it because you can actually preview the shot before you take it. Strangers in general take really lousy pictures. We've taken quite a lot of nice looking romantic selfies. I haven't gotten a selfie stick yet, but I will be soon.

I hate to say it but you all are sounding like a bunch of old fuddy duddies. :p

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have no problem with people using selfie sticks when they are in an uncrowded area. Probably what they were designed for. But when it's elbow-to-elbow, and your selfie stick is smacking ME in the face, I have an issue with that.

There is a time and place to use them, and that doesn't mean every image in every situation.

Dave

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone else about had it with tourists/travelers with cell phones/cameras attached to selfie sticks sidling up to any scenic/historical site and snapping their own picture? I have never seen such self-centered, narcissistic behavior among people. On a resent trip I had to duck numerous times to keep from being clubbed by these non-thinking morons!

My sentiments exactly!

George

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I take it you guys don't post selfies on Facebook every morning when you're in the bathroom getting ready, when you get in the car to drive somewhere, or when you reapply lipstick? How else do you expect to remember those precious moments in your life? <G>

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I take it you guys don't post selfies on Facebook every morning when you're in the bathroom getting ready, when you get in the car to drive somewhere, or when you reapply lipstick? How else do you expect to remember those precious moments in your life? <G>

I have no Facebook account. Why? Color me stupid but I believe one is an invitation to Identity Theft.

George

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL. Good post.
I like it better than asking a stranger to do it because you can actually preview the shot before you take it. Strangers in general take really lousy pictures. We've taken quite a lot of nice looking romantic selfies. I haven't gotten a selfie stick yet, but I will be soon.
:p

When we were on the walkway to Neuschwanstein Castle, we asked a woman passing by to take our photo (but forgot to mention that we wanted the castle in the background.) Luckily both her husband and mine reminded her that the castle should be in the picture. Her original shot was of us with only trees in the background.

I'm sure people are reluctant to give their cameras to strangers to take photos and we saw so many people taking selfies when we vacationed in Aruba. We just laugh because it is so ubiquitous. DH doesn't like to be in photos so a stick is probably not in our future.

CatLovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it but you all are sounding like a bunch of old fuddy duddies. :p

LOL, that's what I was thinking as well :p

And no, for the record, I don't have a selfie stick (at least not yet), but I don't have a problem with people who do. I've been knocked by one or two on occasion but it's never intentional and the person has always apologized, so no big deal. I've found that people often courteously wait on the side for me while I get the perfect shot so I don't have a problem with them when they are trying to do the same. Live and let live! Far more important things to worry about than the proliferation of selfie-sticks! :D

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Do selfie sticks work on regular cameras or just cellphones and iPads? We are on vacation and the street vendors are trying to sell selfie sticks to everyone,I offered to pay a dollar, he was insulted and walked away!

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were in Korea last September, we could not believe how popular the selfie-sticks are. It just seems to me that they see everything in retrospect, instead of enjoying the view while they are there.

Dori

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I thought Jim was kidding because how could a person not enjoy a selfie stick. :D

I really like my selfie stick. I really like my go pro as well. This is a really cool combo, imo. I bought one after seeing Billy M's setup.

One thing most people don't realize is that a heavy selfie stick can be used as a retractable baton. You wouldn't even need to conceal it. ;) So now you can take that great picture and then smack a bad guy.

Bill

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like I said before I think it just all boils down to being able to preview and center your picture right before you take it. You get much better pictures doing it yourself like this than asking a stranger who in most cases could care less.

A little joke that I love to play on people is if they ask me to take a picture for them with their phone I gladly do it and I take multiple shots. However, before I'm done I pretend like I'm focusing part of the shot when in fact I'm reversing the camera on myself and I take a selfie of me making a funny face while they're posing thinking that I'm still shooting them. I then watch their reaction as they walk away. It usually generates some good laughs for me and for them. They usually look back and waive while they're laughing. :D

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Just wait until the skies are crowded with drones. If you hate selfie sticks you're going to hate those too.

I'm not bothered by selfie sticks. So far I have not had to battle with them except at Disneyland and even then I just had to duck once or twice, much like I have to dodge strollers and umbrellas and backpacks, etc. Crowded places are just crowded. That's why I like to visit places like that during the off season.

I do worry a little about drones and how they might get dangerous for drivers or hurt birds or invade privacy. But my general rule about technology is that the laws can never totally keep up, it's futile, so we should just accept that creative technology will always be one step ahead.

---
To answer someone's question about if regular cameras can be used on selfie sticks: Yes they can. But they need to be lightweight. A goPro is a "regular camera" (actually it's a small but very very durable video camera). Research selfie sticks to find one that works for you.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
A little joke that I love to play on people is if they ask me to take a picture for them with their phone I gladly do it and I take multiple shots. However, before I'm done I pretend like I'm focusing part of the shot when in fact I'm reversing the camera on myself and I take a selfie of me making a funny face while they're posing thinking that I'm still shooting them.

I do this too. :rofl:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
This past Christmas the Selfie Stick was the most-wanted Yankee Swap gift and we got great pictures using it. It's not always possible for us to get good pics when the hordes descend because the house is so crowded, but the composition of shots from up above are great.

So far I haven't noticed that they're too intrusive at tourist sites but I'm sure eventually it'll happen.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
The other side of selfie sticks is here in Italy. In Venice and Rome and Florence, there's an African guy about every 30 meters wanting to sell you one. Or a watch, or a "leather" purse, or a set of prints, or if it's raining, an umbrella.

After two weeks I saw a selfie stick in a store. It was the variety with a button that connects to an iPhone connector, and it was €10.

We didn't know what the vendors were asking, so my wife asked one. He quoted €15, and then followed us for ten minutes and three blocks trying to get us to buy one.

I did buy an umbrella for €4 one rainy day... I expected it to last a day, but it's been surprisingly good.

Brett

Reaction score

They should be outlawed! It won't happen, but it's a nice thought. About the only thing worse is those using full-size tablets for the same purpose. Blocking the view of other people while they hold the tablet out at arm's length while pinching, panning and bumping into others while composing their masterpiece.

Whatever happened to travel snapshots to simply remind one of where they've been? Do they need evidence that they are the center of attention?

Jim

Added: We just returned from a cruise of the Baltic Capitals, and going through museums like the Hermitage and other palaces and castles with large crowds of well-heeled tourists, it was like a large percentage of them had tomahawks or bludgeons waiting for an unsuspecting head to get in the way.

I'm not into selfies but are you really afraid of being "clubbed" and hurt by selfie sticks 'morons'?
Or maybe you just don't like these younger "self centered" generation folks!