• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Having Cataract Surgery...Scared and Excited

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the "Restor" lens provides near, middle, and far sighting. There is no need for monovision.

The Restor lens divides the light coming into the eye into 2 focal points - one distance and one near. So it does a really good job for near and distance vision, but it does not provide middle vision. It's an excellent lens and is my favorite choice amongst the multifocals.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The Restor lens divides the light coming into the eye into 2 focal points - one distance and one near. So it does a really good job for near and distance vision, but it does not provide middle vision. It's an excellent lens and is my favorite choice amongst the multifocals.

I have nearly perfect vision, as my wife does also, at all distances.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have nearly perfect vision, as my wife does also, at all distances.

I don't doubt that, but the Restor provides 2 focal points. It doesn't mean you can still have decent intermediate vision, but it's designed to give really good near and distance vision. The attached graph illustrates this. The red control lens is your standard mono-focal intraocular lens. 0 represents your distance vision and -3 is your near vision. -1 to -2 is your intermediate vision.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 62

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
At any rate, it sounds like the Restor lens would be a good choice for me when the time comes. I only wear glasses for driving, and still don't really need reading glasses.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
For those of you considering multi-focal lenses, in my research, it appears a lot of docs recommend using 2 different brands, the Restor and another. One provides great near and far vision and the other provides excellent mid-range vision.

My decision was to go with the mono focal lenses as I wasn't willing to chance that I would be one of those with issues with the multis. I decided on the near/far combo and couldn't be happier. No glasses needed. Getting rid of my glasses was my second priority, after health. That said, I do have a prescription pair for driving as I want the best possible far vision while driving.

Do a LOT of research...I postponed my first surgery about 4 months until I felt really comfortable with my decision wrt which lenses.

Ingrid

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
So Far, So Good.

I get 2 weeks of light duty while my surgically corrected eyeball heals up (no gym workouts, no horn playing, no strenuous activity), plus 2 kinds of expensive eyedrops 4 times every day after the eye patch comes off.

I'll still be crosseyed, so I'll have to wear glasses to accommodate that no matter how perfect my new lens turns out to be. Plus, the new lens is set for distance only, so I'll need reading glasses & music glasses in addition to trifocals.
Eye doctor who performed my cataract surgery said everything is fine after 2 follow-up appointments -- Friday (1 day after the operation) & this morning (Monday).

At the Monday appointment I got a new right-eye glasses prescription -- will stick with old prescription for left eye.

Only trouble is nobody knows how many degrees of prismatic correction, left & right, to add to my regular optical prescription to compensate for my strabismus (cross-eyed condition). Today the ophthalmologist just wrote on the prescription slip to use same prisms per record -- meaning he doesn't know & he's hoping the opticians at Price Club do. (I don't.)

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with accommodating IOL's? They've been around for quite some time -- I think Crystalens was the first in the US(?) -- but I never hear/read much about them.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Anyone have experience with accommodating IOL's? They've been around for quite some time -- I think Crystalens was the first in the US(?) -- but I never hear/read much about them.

When I was doing my research for my first surgery, I was at first excited about them until I dug deeper. Lots and lots of horror stories about this lens. My doc refuses to implant this lens because of the problems his patients have experienced.

Ingrid

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I had the surgery in my right eye in 2011. The doctor wanted to do the left eye a couple of weeks later. I refused, I can read and watch TV without glasses, if I have the surgery on the left eye, I will not be able to do that without glasses. Fought with the doctor, I told him they are my eyes and I see fine with the one eye surgery, the cateract in the left eye is very small, but if and when I need surgery I will get it done. I may try another doctor though.
Silentg

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had the surgery in my right eye in 2011. The doctor wanted to do the left eye a couple of weeks later. I refused, I can read and watch TV without glasses, if I have the surgery on the left eye, I will not be able to do that without glasses. Fought with the doctor, I told him they are my eyes and I see fine with the one eye surgery, the cateract in the left eye is very small, but if and when I need surgery I will get it done. I may try another doctor though.
Silentg

Assuming you have a mono focal lens (IIRC, the recommendation with multis is to have them done at the same time), have you looked into the near/far combo? This is what I did. Being nearsighted, I had decided on the near/far combo and if brain couldn't handle it, I would set both eyes to far vision only. Being nearsighted, I had the first lens set to far and loved the results. I then had the second eye set for near and couldn't be happier. Absolutely no need for glasses, although I do have a far prescription for better driving vision.

IIRC, the recommendation with multis is to have them done at the same time.

Ingrid

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was doing my research for my first surgery, I was at first excited about them until I dug deeper. Lots and lots of horror stories about this lens. My doc refuses to implant this lens because of the problems his patients have experienced.

Ingrid

Yes, I've talked to my doctor about them extensively (for vision correction, not cataracts), but not within the past year. I'm looking for firsthand experience.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've talked to my doctor about them extensively (for vision correction, not cataracts), but not within the past year. I'm looking for firsthand experience.

I haven't hear about performing lens replacement specifically for vision correction. I've had both LASIK and PRK (for the astigmatism), and am grateful for the two ophthalmologist TUGgers for taking the time to explain in language I can understand about the mathematics involved in deciding on the proper lenses to implant when (not if) it comes time for the cataracts to go away.

Jim

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't hear about performing lens replacement specifically for vision correction. I've had both LASIK and PRK (for the astigmatism), and am grateful for the two ophthalmologist TUGgers for taking the time to explain in language I can understand about the mathematics involved in deciding on the proper lenses to implant when (not if) it comes time for the cataracts to go away.

Jim

I've always had pretty severe myopia. I also have large pupils and relatively thin corneas, so I've never been a great candidate for LASIK. When my near vision started to degrade, I began talking with my optometrist about various lens options, including IOL's. I try to read up periodically on what's new in vision correction. Fortunately, the technology is advancing slightly ahead of my needs.

I am currently wearing multifocal contacts, one toric and one not. Works ok, but there are brief instances when I basically "blur out" and momentarily lose focus. I also can't see my drives land on the golf course, which gets pretty frustrating. :mad:

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jim

It's called a clear lens extraction which is basically the same thing as cataract surgery without a cataract. It's not covered by insurance and can get pretty pricey. It's not optimal for anybody under the age of 45 or so who can still accommodate with their natural lens. Most of the time people just wait until there's some semblance of a cataract so it does get covered by insurance.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score

The Crystalens is the only one FDA approved IOL in this category. I don't use them because they only work about 55-60% of the time. If it doesn't work then it just acts like a standard monofocal IOL. Besides monofocal IOL's, it's the only other IOL commercial pilots can get because the multifocal IOL's can cause haloes in low light conditions.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Crystalens is the only one FDA approved IOL in this category. I don't use them because they only work about 55-60% of the time. If it doesn't work then it just acts like a standard monofocal IOL. Besides monofocal IOL's, it's the only other IOL commercial pilots can get because the multifocal IOL's can cause haloes in low light conditions.

Interesting...under these conditions, I might have chosen this lens. One of the unacceptable issues I read about was extreme light sensitivity. Is this one of the problems with this lens?

Ingrid

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Costco Came Through.

Today the ophthalmologist just wrote on the prescription slip to use same prisms per record -- meaning he doesn't know & he's hoping the opticians at Price Club do. (I don't.)
Costco had it on file -- right 6 degrees, outside + left 4 degrees, outside.

I think I get more benefit from prismatic correction than from correction for astigmatism & myopia combined -- all the more so now that I have a new, crystal-clear artificial right-eye lens.

So I have three -- 3 -- sets of Costco eyeglasses on order: regular everyday trifocals + computer bifocals (mid-range & reading, no distance prescription) + music bifocals (distance & elevated mid-range inset, no close-up reading prescription).

Is this a great country or what ?

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Ingrid

Same with my doctor--and I know a person who has it, and she has problems I wouldn't want to have: halos are really bad, and she has added a small table by each door out of the house for the sunglasses she has to wear even to just step outside.

Last edited:

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting...under these conditions, I might have chosen this lens. One of the unacceptable issues I read about was extreme light sensitivity. Is this one of the problems with this lens?

Ingrid

No. It's essentially a monofocal IOL with the arms designed to allow it to move forward in the eye when your ciliary muscle tries to accommodate. It is a smaller optic (5.0 mm vs 6.0 mm for most other IOL's), though, so if there's any decentration or if you have a large pupil it can cause glare. It's also made out of silicone which can shift more than acrylic which is what most of the other IOL's are made of. You can have a perfect surgery with a perfectly centered IOL at the end of the case that then shifts over the first month as it scars down in the bag. I've seen this much more with silicone IOL's than acrylic IOL's.

Last edited:

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This is just a FYI. It can take several weeks for your eyes to adjust to the "Restor Lens: I didn't have to wear glasses at all from the first day but my vision did improve considerably in the first couple months. My doctor and several other people told me that was normal. Even the eye tester at the DMV told me that. So don't get discouraged if it is not perfect when you first get it done. It took my wife a little longer than me.

That is not like Lasik which was great from the very first moment.

You will get haloing around lights but it does improve with time though I still have it to some extent.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
my husband just had cataract surgery and was given a prescription for glasses for driving, Medicare is supposed to pay for the first set of frames and lenses, but we can't find any place that will take it

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is just a FYI. It can take several weeks for your eyes to adjust to the "Restor Lens: I didn't have to wear glasses at all from the first day but my vision did improve considerably in the first couple months. My doctor and several other people told me that was normal. Even the eye tester at the DMV told me that. So don't get discouraged if it is not perfect when you first get it done. It took my wife a little longer than me.

That is not like Lasik which was great from the very first moment.

You will get haloing around lights but it does improve with time though I still have it to some extent.

According to my doc, this is true with all lenses...it takes about a month for your eyes to settle and that's when they issued prescriptions. For my far eye, I had 20/15 vision right after the surgery and for a couple of weeks, but the eye settled at about 20/25.

Ingrid

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Grateful To Be Seeing Clearer.

I have three -- 3 -- sets of Costco eyeglasses on order: regular everyday trifocals + computer bifocals (mid-range & reading, no distance prescription) + music bifocals (distance & elevated mid-range inset, no close-up reading prescription).
Just got back from Costco with my three -- 3 -- new sets of after-cataract glasses.

It's great to be seeing clearly & in 3-D once again.