• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just got back from Kauai

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just got back from Kauai - about 2:00 am. Dragging this morning.

We were at our Wyndham Kauai Beach Villas, Ocean front timeshare for 2 weeks.

The day before we left I broke my toe, so it was a very "relaxing" vacation. I didn't mind relaxing, but DH didn't dig it - he likes to go, go, go, on vacation. We did get to board the plane first! :D

It was hot the last few days we were there, with very little breeze, and very high tides - right up to the foliage along the beach.

Not much new to report -

We mostly ate in, but we ate at Brennekes, The Olympic Cafe, and Kalypso. Brennekes was the most expensive meal, and my least favorite. We didn't do any "fine dining."

We went to the former barbecue place in Kapa'a which is on the bike path and is now called the Beach Walk, but it was nearly empty, and looked bad, so we didn't go in. This is a great location, so hopefully someone will take it over and make it successful.

The resort looks good, although they just fired the landscape maintenance company. I noticed that the grass in front of the ocean front buildings looked bad and was informed by one of the residents that the maintenance company was not watering it (turned off sprinklers) and that's one of the reasons they got fired.

We own 7 weeks here now, and if I can every get DH to retire, we hope to spend extensive lengths of time at this resort. It's not fancy - although you do have access to the fancy hotel on the same property, but we absolutely love the ocean front location.

View from our lanai.

LanaiView.jpg

SwimArea.jpg

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, Denise! Welcome home. Sorry about your toe. What a hassle that would be to deal with on vacation!!

The three restaurants you named are three of our favorites, too. We like going to Kalypso for a very late lunch, then watching the sunset from the Hanalei Pier.

Hope the KBV maintenance crew thing gets straightened out. I'm surprised the sprinklers turned off thing would have gotten so far out of hand. Did they think nobody would notice? ;) When we were last there (September 2014) things looked pretty nice, and groundskeepers were very visible all over the property.

We'll be there next in February, so I'll be able to report back about it then.

Dave

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
. . . The resort looks good, although they just fired the landscape maintenance company. I noticed that the grass in front of the ocean front buildings looked bad and was informed by one of the residents that the maintenance company was not watering it (turned off sprinklers) and that's one of the reasons they got fired. . . .
Aloha Denise,
While pretty low on my list of things to worry about, I thought the landscape crew was doing shabby work during our last visit (Dec/Jan). The most visible example was churning up / destroying the grass with the wheels of their equipment. I am hopeful that the replacement of the landscape company is / will be a positive development.
Sorry to hear about your toe. How hard was it going up and down the stairs to the third floor?
Jack

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I hit those three on my last trip too.the Olyimpic we've been to many times and
It was our first time for the others. We enjoyed them all. BeachWalk was fine
For drinks and some pupu's. We drank there often, love the view. I hear it sold
So we'll see what happens to it.

When are you headed back? We stopped by the KBV on our last trip and I can
See why you love the view.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I thought the landscape crew was doing shabby work during our last visit (Dec/Jan).
I did not see any landscape workers in the 2 weeks I was there, except for a special crew that was climbing and trimming the coconut trees, so I'm assuming that they new company hadn't started yet.

How hard was it going up and down the stairs to the third floor?
Jack

The first 3 days, when my toe was the most sore, I pretty much camped out on the Lanai. But I was wearing one of those orthopedic shoes with the flat bottom, and the 3 flights of stairs were doable, as long as I put my foot down completely flat when I stepped, and was careful not to flex the toe. There was no one in the first floor, and I considered asking for that unit, but just couldn't give up the 3rd floor view. I'm glad I didn't - because I managed the steps and the view was worth it.

I didn't swim, or snorkel, or hike, but still had a nice time - there was no way I would stay home.

Alex%20Orthopedic_4442-FL_2566.jpg

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When are you headed back?

I'm not sure - I have reservations for Christmas and February, but DH got a promotion and right now he is telling me he can't go again that soon. When I bought the additional 4 weeks, we expected him to retire, but he got a surprise promotion instead.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Promotions and recognition are always good. Just make sure he has the time to
Enjoy that retirement. I would have done the same as you. I'm content with a
View like that on the lanai.

DW and I aren't too busy when we go anymore unless we have company that
Are new to the islands. When that happens, one week is with them and the
Second week is for us where we don't eat out much either. No company last trip.
That's probably why we spent a lot of time during happy hour at the BeachWalk.:D

We have company in February but I think we'll be hanging out a lot at the
Breweries with them.:D

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Promotions and recognition are always good. Just make sure he has the time to enjoy that retirement.

To be quite honest with you - I don't think he will enjoy retirement - he's a workaholic and has nothing to fill his time after he retires.

We have company in February but I think we'll be hanging out a lot at the Breweries with them.:D

I forgot - we did visit the Kaui Beer Company in Lihue and liked it a lot.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are envious. :). We really enjoyed Tiki Taco, a very rundown hole-in-a-wall place. My husband would never have eaten there if not for not wanting to be a party pooper as we were with friends who wanted to try. After that my husband insisted we went there again. That place was recommended by Chicken In A Barrel, another place which we enjoyed. Those eateries are closer to Princeville than Poipu.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tiki Taco is really good. Try the tamales, they only make them for Saturday's.
They're great. I don't pay much attention anymore to if the place is fancy or a
Whole in the wall. As long as the food is good. Did you ever see some of the
Places on those travel shows. Man, they look bad but they always rave about
The food.:D

Denise, keep working on him, life's short. He can be productive and active
Without work.

travelwyndham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Kauai - about 2:00 am. Dragging this morning.

We were at our Wyndham Kauai Beach Villas, Ocean front timeshare for 2 weeks.

The day before we left I broke my toe, so it was a very "relaxing" vacation. I didn't mind relaxing, but DH didn't dig it - he likes to go, go, go, on vacation. We did get to board the plane first! :D

It was hot the last few days we were there, with very little breeze, and very high tides - right up to the foliage along the beach.

Not much new to report -

We mostly ate in, but we ate at Brennekes, The Olympic Cafe, and Kalypso. Brennekes was the most expensive meal, and my least favorite. We don't do any "fine dining."

We went to the former barbecue place in Kapa'a which is on the bike path and is now called the Beach Walk, but it was nearly empty, and looked bad, so we didn't go in. This is a great location, so hopefully someone will take it over and make it successful.

The resort looks good, although they just fired the landscape maintenance company. I noticed that the grass in front of the ocean front buildings looked bad and was informed by one of the residents that the maintenance company was not watering it (turned off sprinklers) and that's one of the reasons they got fired.

We own 7 weeks here now, and if I can every get DH to retire, we hope to spend extensive lengths of time at this resort. It's not fancy - although you do have access to the fancy hotel on the same property, but we absolutely love the ocean front location.

View from our lanai.

LanaiView.jpg

SwimArea.jpg

Wow, its a small world. We just checked out of G17. We spent July 1st-3rd at the Kauai Beach Villas as a "vacation" away from Bali Hai where there isn't any air conditioning (and we are at from June 7th-July 6th). I had no idea how amazing this property was. Wish I would have booked at this resort instead. Wyndham Bali Hai is beautiful and the units are large (we are in a 3 bedroom), but with no air conditioning, we are melting. I also loved the location of the Kauai Beach Villas. Being close to Lihue, is like being in the middle of everything. In Princeville, we have to drive a minimum of 45 minutes to get anywhere (except Queen's Bath- which was great). Thanks for sharing. Christine

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Wow, its a small world. We just checked out of G17. We spent July 1st-3rd at the Kauai Beach Villas as a "vacation" away from Bali Hai where there isn't any air conditioning (and we are at from June 7th-July 6th). I had no idea how amazing this property was. Wish I would have booked at this resort instead. Wyndham Bali Hai is beautiful and the units are large (we are in a 3 bedroom), but with no air conditioning, we are melting. I also loved the location of the Kauai Beach Villas. Being close to Lihue, is like being in the middle of everything. In Princeville, we have to drive a minimum of 45 minutes to get anywhere (except Queen's Bath- which was great). Thanks for sharing. Christine

Now you know the undiscovered secrets of Kauai Beach Villas, and why those of us who own there really enjoy it. Ssh! Don't tell anyone! :)

Dave

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
The first 3 days, when my toe was the most sore, I pretty much camped out on the Lanai.

That's one of my favorite things to do on vacation--reading and watching the ocean. The view at KBV is great for relaxing. And the property is close enough to Duke's to eat there multiple times.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise--glad you are back and mahalo for posting pix.

Our last two trips to the Islands were canceled for medical reasons-- We're still getting and contesting bills for my December hospital stay!!

We have two weeks at Princeville in Dec and two weeks at the Maui Schooner in March.

Oh, how I miss Hawaii and the people.

A hui ho,

Sterling

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Sorry to hear about your toe Denise. Glad you enjoyed your RnR time though.

Ironically, I am planning a little mix of business & pleasure trip to Hawaii in January and last night, thought about ditching Oahu for my 3-4 free days, to head over to Kauai. Maybe I'll have to do that :)

taffy19

Reaction score
The first 3 days, when my toe was the most sore, I pretty much camped out on the Lanai. But I was wearing one of those orthopedic shoes with the flat bottom, and the 3 flights of stairs were doable, as long as I put my foot down completely flat when I stepped, and was careful not to flex the toe. There was no one in the first floor, and I considered asking for that unit, but just couldn't give up the 3rd floor view. I'm glad I didn't - because I managed the steps and the view was worth it.

I didn't swim, or snorkel, or hike, but still had a nice time - there was no way I would stay home.
Sorry to hear that you broke your toe and that it was painful too but nothing wrong with sitting on the Lanai and watching the ocean. :D

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise,

Your view was amazing! Where are these Wyndam villas located? Doesn't look like Princeville, being level with the ocean and all. We are spending two weeks here at Hanalei Bay Resort in Princeville and absolutely loving it! If you were here on Princeville, it would have been fun to get together for coffee and meet each other!

Cheers,
Janna

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise,

Your view was amazing! Where are these Wyndam villas located?

It is between Lihue and Kapa'a, between the Wailua Golf Course, and the Aqua, Kauai Beach Resort Hotel.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From my Toe: Thank you for all the kind wishes - I'm feeling better.

gvic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try a glass of the Ancient Hawaiian drink ..... Okolehao. You won't "feel" any of your "toes" ! ! !

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a shout-out to thank you Denise and you other knowledgeable TUGgers. My DH has never wanted to visit Hawaii due to the long travel time (12.5 hours is the best we can do from Western PA). But after reading all these wonderful posts, and having a plethora of Wyndham points I had to transfer into RCI, I've convinced him to make a once-in-a-lifetime visit. :banana::banana: I was lucky to secure one week here at the Beach Villas and the following week at Shearwater (April 2016), and I'm sneaking in a week on Maui to start it all off through II. I will be reading this thread over and over to memorize all the great tips! I know we won't get a view like yours, Denise, but it sounds like the villas will be perfect for us regardless.

I visited Kauai for one day on a cruise with my mom and was blown away by its beauty. Can't wait to spend an extended amount of time there. I hope I did the right thing splitting up the two weeks between the two resorts - from what I've read, I think I'm hitting both ends of the island that way?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Just a shout-out to thank you Denise and you other knowledgeable TUGgers. My DH has never wanted to visit Hawaii due to the long travel time (12.5 hours is the best we can do from Western PA). But after reading all these wonderful posts, and having a plethora of Wyndham points I had to transfer into RCI, I've convinced him to make a once-in-a-lifetime visit. :banana::banana: I was lucky to secure one week here at the Beach Villas and the following week at Shearwater (April 2016), and I'm sneaking in a week on Maui to start it all off through II. I will be reading this thread over and over to memorize all the great tips! I know we won't get a view like yours, Denise, but it sounds like the villas will be perfect for us regardless.

I visited Kauai for one day on a cruise with my mom and was blown away by its beauty. Can't wait to spend an extended amount of time there. I hope I did the right thing splitting up the two weeks between the two resorts - from what I've read, I think I'm hitting both ends of the island that way?

Congratulations! You'll have a fine time. You aren't splitting up Kauai exactly. If the island is round, like the face of a clock, you'll be staying more about at Eleven and 3 o'clock locations. Kind of. But the island is small enough that the difference is just drive time, and if you're out exploring, you'll be in the car anyway. :) If you wanted more of "both ends of the island," staying in Princeville and Poipu would be a better fit.

But the Lihue area, where Kauai Beach Villas is located, is actually a more convenient location, since you're already partway to either end of things. You can head north OR south quite easily, as your whim takes you. And best of all, you're minutes from the airport, with none of the airport noise, quite close to shopping, and some great sites along the Coconut Coast.

It'll be fun. I promise. :)

Dave

Last edited:

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Dave! My one day on the island during the cruise gave me NO grasp of the geography. I look forward to doing a lot of fun research, and checking out everyone's travel stories.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a great location on the island Denise. So sorry you had the toe issue but glad you had a great place to recover :)

Janna

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
I love your view, Denise M :)! Thanks for sharing the photos.

Sorry about your toe, is it a lot better now? Congrats on your 7 weeks, wow, I did not know you had accumulated so many! I need to start collecting some more, ha ha...:rolleyes: