• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help for a Newbie! Kings' Land

PezLori

Reaction score
Hi folks! :wave:

New owners here, trying to navigate through it all. I really appreciate all the info here. It's a little overwhelming, but I think I'm getting it! We're looking to book Kings' Land later this year. Is there a way to tell what the codes mean in the booking system? I can decipher a lot of it - the Buildings, # of bedrooms, type of beds, # of people and square footage. But what does that last code mean? How will I know if I'm booking first floor or higher? Or what the view is?

The description of the room that pops up when you hover is kind of vague as far as view goes, and seems to indicate that all units have a lanai. True?

I think I've read here that all of the Phase 2 1 bedroom units face the parking lot. True?

Also, is it true that 1 bedroom units in Phase 2 do not have an oven? Is there at least a cook top? Microwave?

Thanks for any info!
Lori

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All Phase 2, 1 bedrooms face parking lot - True.
All units have a lanai - True.
The lower the points the lower the floor. Unless you are worried about someone breaking in - which I never would be at Kings' Land although it's obviously a possibility - I wouldn't pay the extra points for a higher floor. We love the first floor because then your sliding glass door opens right out onto your lanai and then nothing but grass (regardless of the phase). In both phases your view is of the golf course, mountains, and lava (unless you're a 1BR in Phase 2). You still can see everything from the 1st floor and you have the benefit of the grass and easier access to get back and forth to the BBQ's if you're into that.

One other point about points/Phase 1/Phase 2 - Phase 2 units are fewer points. And you are guaranteed to be in building 21 or 22. And those are both pretty close to the clubhouse/restaurant area. About half of the Phase 1 buildings are farther than Phase 2 buildings from the "center of the action". So you could end up paying more points and being farther away from the pool/bar. I'd rather pay fewer points, get my lawn/lanai entry, and guarantee how close I'll be to the pool area.

I'm a happy and loyal owner at KL and various other places. Happy to help with questions about KL or booking/points in general.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I loved my "standard" room, first floor phase one. I would only book the higher floors/higher point rooms if first floor wasn't available. Not sure if phase 2 has the same situation, but phase one first floor has cats and moongooses coming by to visit - which I liked. If you don't like animals, it may not be for you.

If you like to spend a lot of time on the lanai, you may want to spring for phase one. They have the very nice outdoor teak furniture with really good cushions.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
While I have not personally stayed in phase 2, i believe the one bedrooms have a two burner cook-top and microwave.

We stayed in a "premiere room" on the third floor of phase one a few months back. I think the comments about the advantages of the ground floor are true. It would have been much easier for BBQ and otherwise to just walk out the back door.

Another advantage of the ground floor is ability to expand your seating out to the grass.. We like to sit out on the Lanai, and you can't really move the furniture much on the upper levels due to the size of the Lanai.. That means somebody often has the sun in their eyes.. With the ground floor you can just drag the chairs to where you want on the lawn and enjoy the outdoors...

Next time we are booking the ground floor.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just left kingland. We got a 1 bedroom phase 2 at building 21 first floor via a RCI exchange. There are indeed only 2 burner small stovetop with a microwave, full size refrigerator and dishwasher. It faced the parking lot

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, yes, the cats! Good call, Presley. There are tons of cats in Phase 2. So the ground floor units do get a lot of their attention. My older daughter (7) of course adopted many of them and ended up feeding them each night and sitting outside and watching them. She never petted them and I'm not sure that would have been a good idea for a variety of reasons. But they were perfectly happy to have her watch them eat and she enjoyed it. So for us it added to the experience and is another plus of the 1st floor.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ah, yes, the cats! Good call, Presley. There are tons of cats in Phase 2. So the ground floor units do get a lot of their attention. My older daughter (7) of course adopted many of them and ended up feeding them each night and sitting outside and watching them. She never petted them and I'm not sure that would have been a good idea for a variety of reasons. But they were perfectly happy to have her watch them eat and she enjoyed it. So for us it added to the experience and is another plus of the 1st floor.

Just to be clear, there are lots of cats Waikaloa, not just in Kings Land.. There are cats at Kohala Suites, and even the big Hilton hotel...

My wife always packs cat treats when we go there..

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Just to be clear, there are lots of cats Waikaloa, not just in Kings Land.. There are cats at Kohala Suites, and even the big Hilton hotel...

My wife always packs cat treats when we go there..

Yes, I was having dinner at KPC one evening and a "friendly" cat approached me. I petted him a little and once he realized no treats were forthcoming, he bit me on the hand and walked away.

JoeVacation

Reaction score
Also note that the 1 Bedroom Phase II units don't have bath tubs. I found out the hard way, when I booked the first time at Kingsland. My wife was looking forward to the nice bath tubs she saw in the Phase I units and I heard about it the whole time I was there.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
There is a fine if you are caught feeding the feral cats, please dont. There are feeding stations around the resort, the cats are trapped, spayed/nuetered, and returned to control the population. When people feed them they avoid the traps and breed.

Sent from my iPad using the strange new version of Tapatalk

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is a fine if you are caught feeding the feral cats, please dont. There are feeding stations around the resort, the cats are trapped, spayed/nuetered, and returned to control the population. When people feed them they avoid the traps and breed.

Sent from my iPad using the strange new version of Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, i knew there was an attempt to spay and neuter the cats, but had not thought much about how they would accomplish that....

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, i knew there was an attempt to spay and neuter the cats, but had not thought much about how they would accomplish that....

I asked around about that when I was there. I was told if the cat has a clipped ear, it has already been trapped and spayed/neutered. There were many with clipped ears, but still a lot of older kittens running around.

Dojan123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am reading this post from Phase 2 now. I am in a 2 bedroom third floor facing the back. While I like looking out back compare to a parking lot, I only use the lanai for my morning coffee. The rest of the time I am away. I will save the points next time if I have an option to save with a lower level facing the parking lot.

As others have stated, we do see the cats but they have not been an issue. We love seeing them roam and my kids give them names. However, I do warm my kids they are not like our cats at home and should not be approached.

Overall we are very happy about our first stay here. I am jealous that the OP is in the planning stage while I am about the leave. I guess I need to start planning again soon for next year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vacationbear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha
Just came back from our first KL vacation where we bought back in May.
Will post the experience later.

Regarding phase 2 and the cats:
Attached is a picture of the rear of the phase 2 building.
There are no swimming pools, but the walk to the main pool next to the clubhouse is a very short one (across the street, maybe 3 minutes...).
The grounds of Ph1 (where we bought and stayed) and Ph2 are meticulously maintained! The picture was not made from a "perfect angle", the properties looked all this clean!
A ground floor unit certainly has many advantages, as posted in this thread. I fully agree with all of them! The only concern I would have: cats! They will come and visit your food if left unattended!

Cats: yeah, had them around our Building 4 (Ph 1) as well. They, too, looked meticulous maintained! But not because of us feeding or petting them!
While it has been reported by follow Tuggers that cats are all over and a pest, I have to say (full disclosure: I don't like cats much...) that they were really NOT a problem. They seem to roam the grounds early in the morning and we never saw more than 4 at a time.

I see no reason why I would spent more points for the third floor units. The walk to the pool is longer and the view is only marginally better.
Ground or 1st floor is definitely the way to go at KL!

Attachments

• P1020782  KL Ph 2 rear.jpg
    P1020782 KL Ph 2 rear.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 79

vacationbear

TUG Member
Reaction score
another picture of Kings Land, phase 2

And another picture of the rear side of phase 2 of this nice building!
I was the staff cleaning the grill one morning! What an attention to detail!
The view are great- both Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa are in plan sight!

Attachments

• P1020783  KL Ph 2 rear.jpg
    P1020783 KL Ph 2 rear.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 72

PezLori

Reaction score
Thank you all for the very helpful responses! We confidently booked a Phase 2 1 b/r and are super excited to take our first big trip as HGVC members. Woooo hoooo!

Dojan123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have a great time Pez! Make sure to plan a day at the Hilton hotel. I hear people never check it out while at KL and do not realize they get free parking while there.

We also spent a day exploring the waterfalls and volcano. Just be ready for an all day drive.
a09d853108ee724a6d938e30f4d91cca.jpg

Last edited:

jivebone

Reaction score
I am a new owner as well. Don't really know the phases but it seemed like building six was pretty close to everything. We were in a 2BR in building 10. 7,8,9 were all closer. but the room was fantastic. Very nice. Definitely make use of the shuttle. very easy to get to the shopping, restaurants and the Hilton hotel all right there in Waikaloa.