• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 87.6%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Fast Response. Now the Dilemma....

So I sent an email this afternoon and received a response within 90 minutes. They are supposed to call me tomorrow. Now the dilemma, do I keep it, pay the $250 to give it back and be done with it, or try to sell it myself?

I bought this unit on email maybe 10 years ago for about $100 when Mystic Dunes was still with Wyndham. I just stayed down there again last week in a three bedroom lock off in a newly renovated room and it was very nice. Had a great stay with great hospitality and service until.... I inquired about converting my deeded fixed week to DRI points. Big mistake, and yes I new better. They basically offered to let me convert my existing unit to its point value for the low fee of $29K. I declined and that's when the became ugly. Didn't want me to leave and gave me this line, that I had to sign some paperwork. After bringing out the big guns, I finally explained I had no interest and walked out.

So, It really colored my opinion of DRI. I have since researched all the complaints about DRI. Now I'm thinking I want to dump it and maybe double my points with HICV. Never had this type of experience there.

My concern with keeping it is that they will continue to raise my MF and push week owners into the old units, to the benefit of points users. They don't seem to have much loyalty to deeded owners. Anyone have experience with Mystic Dunes and DRI or deeded owners in locations now managed by DRI?

dontfret

Reaction score
So I sent an email this afternoon and received a response within 90 minutes. They are supposed to call me tomorrow. Now the dilemma, do I keep it, pay the $250 to give it back and be done with it, or try to sell it myself?

Selling it yourself will likely cost more than the $250 transfer fee unless it has any value, you'll have to sweeten the deal to make somebody want =once they understand the MF fees. You (or buyer) still have to pay the $250 transfer fee.

My concern with keeping it is that they will continue to raise my MF and push week owners into the old units, to the benefit of points users.

MF fees will always go up, that's just fact. Benefits may drop if it is in DRI's favor or they can use it as incentive to bring in new points buyers.
My suggestion is to take the deal and get out now ...:wave:

libralady

Reaction score
after reading many successful posts on Diamond taking deed back. I sent a email with subject line stating Inventory Takeback to them on 6-18-2015.
It is now 6-30-2015 and I have not heard a word from them.
I am an owner in the US Diamond Collection.
I bought 3500 points in Sedona The Ridge in 2006
Cypress Pointe in Florida 3000 points in 2009
Total amount 6500 points
I am up to date on HOA fees and have a zero balance on my loans.
I sent the email as i stated 6-18 to lossmitigation@diamond resorts.com and no automated response like others have received.

I am not sure what I should do at this point just sit and wait or send another email to them. I am retired and on a fixed income. Does anyone have any suggestions?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id certainly send it again.

heck id send one every day till i got a reply =)

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what I should do at this point just sit and wait or send another email to them. I am retired and on a fixed income. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'd try again, and make sure the email address is correct. That was a problem for someone earlier on in this thread. You should have at least gotten an automatic response. Mine took about 1 hour to come through.

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I declined and that's when the became ugly. Didn't want me to leave and gave me this line, that I had to sign some paperwork. After bringing out the big guns, I finally explained I had no interest and walked out.

So, It really colored my opinion of DRI. I have since researched all the complaints about DRI. Now I'm thinking I want to dump it and maybe double my points with HICV. Never had this type of experience there.

My concern with keeping it is that they will continue to raise my MF and push week owners into the old units, to the benefit of points users. They don't seem to have much loyalty to deeded owners.

I'm relatively new to DRI (4 years since they took over ILX property). Your concerns are valid and it's those that you mention that made me decide to jump on this window of opportunity. Their aggressive sales pitches at what are supposed to be "owner updates" (the only way to get information from them sometimes) left me sapped and demoralized. I was there for a nice holiday, not to be treated this way. MF have doubled and will only go up as they use that money to upgrade the units and I may never be given those newer units until they are all completed.

Anyway, I've got my form notarized and will send off to them on Monday after the US July 4th holiday is over....

libralady

Reaction score
I have never used a site like this so still trying to learn how to respond to you..I just now sent another email to lossmitigation@diamondresorts.com. I hope this is the correct email address.
I thought I would have received a automated response at least like others, but none yet as I stated. Thank you for responding to my question.

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never used a site like this so still trying to learn how to respond to you..I just now sent another email to lossmitigation@diamondresorts.com. I hope this is the correct email address.
I thought I would have received a automated response at least like others, but none yet as I stated. Thank you for responding to my question.

Perhaps try this email leadcollector@diamondresorts.com if lossmitigation is still not working for you. Someone got through with that email address, too.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I think the email address may be wrong on this. Try lossmitigation@diamondresorts.com. I just had an email returned from the address provided in the first message in this thread.
I'd make sure I had the right Email by coping the email address from here and pasting in into the address
Good Luck

libralady

Reaction score
Thank you marg2; Bill4728 (moderator);Tug Brian (administrator)

I resent email like I stated and lo and behold within 15 minutes I got an automated response which is below. I will let you know what transpires. Thank you all again!

Thank you for your e-mail. A new ticket has been created. A Diamond Resorts International Team Member will contact you within 1-2 business days. Please use this ticket number for all future correspondence.

Thank you,

Loss Mitigation Support

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your e-mail. A new ticket has been created. A Diamond Resorts International Team Member will contact you within 1-2 business days. Please use this ticket number for all future correspondence.

Yay, congrats. Good luck!

WarHorse47

Reaction score
Looks like I need to ask this question a second time.

How long after they consolidate all the paperwork will the change be reflected on their website??

The lack of communication is driving me up the wall. :wall:

Our check cleared the bank on June 19th and the end of the month was yesterday. I keep checking our status on their website at least several times a day, but as of a few minutes ago we are still owners. Assuming the paperwork has been submitted, how long does it take to get some confirmation that we're no longer owners? :confused:

Tom

madness999

Reaction score
Takes time

Looks like I need to ask this question a second time.

How long after they consolidate all the paperwork will the change be reflected on their website??

The lack of communication is driving me up the wall. :wall:

Our check cleared the bank on June 19th and the end of the month was yesterday. I keep checking our status on their website at least several times a day, but as of a few minutes ago we are still owners. Assuming the paperwork has been submitted, how long does it take to get some confirmation that we're no longer owners? :confused:

Tom

My check cleared on May 28. My account on the DRI site did not reflect the changes until June 23. I still have points from THEClub that I have to send a second transfer form in for (just sent today) but my deed back took about 40 days for the check to clear and then the time mentioned for the account to be updated. I think they are getting slammed with requests and are just getting further behind in addressing everyone's request.

By the way, I (and a couple others have mentioned this also) did not get any notice that the account was updated or that I no longer have my property deed. So it appears they are consistent in not notifying anyone once the account is updated/closed.

Last edited:

WarHorse47

Reaction score
Hmm... So far my focus has been on the timeshare deedback. I wasn't aware of any additional process on points. I always assumed that any unused or banked points would go away once the deed has been transferred back to DRI.

Tom

madness999

Reaction score
Hmm... So far my focus has been on the timeshare deedback. I wasn't aware of any additional process on points. I always assumed that any unused or banked points would go away once the deed has been transferred back to DRI.

Tom

Well, in my case, in the ownership summary on my DRI account I had 2 actual contract numbers. The original contract was for Mystic Dunes, and DRI "gave" me 5250 points for that. During the process of conversion they also offered me 2000 points for THEClub, so I ended up with 7250 points per year. However, the 2000 were in a different contract so when I did the deedback it turns out it only closed the Mystic Dunes contract.

I just completed a "Mutual Release" form that I put in the mail today along with a second $250 dollars. That should close out the second contract and I'll thankfully be done with DRI. I don't like paying another $250 and I could probably fight it, but I just want out and as my wife says, $250 to finish getting out is worth it.

So if all your points are in a single contract you should be fine with the deedback. But if you have more than one contract number listed in your owner summary you may end up having to send in a request to cancel/transfer each instance.

donnaval

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So far, this has been the process for us:

6/19 - sent email, got instant acknowledgement
6/29 - had heard nothing, sent another email, got an almost instant response that deedback had been approved and we could expect paperwork in a week and a half
7/2 - received paperwork dated 6/24, so apparently approval had been granted and paperwork done without notifying us, and before my little "nudge" email
7/3 - Hubby saying, "where can we go today to get this notarized and in the mail!"

croppers01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same thing for me. I sent my notarized letter back on 5/6/15 and never heard anymore. I just logged into my account and got the same message! I think I'm free!!!!!

libralady

Reaction score
I am wondering if I need to contact DRI again by email using my Ticket Number I got on July 1?

(I had originally sent on June 18 and no word back and resent on July 1 and got confirmation with 15 minutes stating someone will contact me within 1-2 business days) or do I just sit and wait till I might get something in the mail from them?

I have read the different ways people have received info back from them about taking Timeshares back. I don't want to push too hard so that they will not consider taking mine back. I see some never got a call and received paperwork through the mail and others in their email box and others had a person call them by phone.

What does anyone suggest? Is it better to wait a couple weeks yet and then contact them if I do not receive anything by phone, in my email or by regular email?

I guess i am asking this since I originally started this request on June 18, but only till I resent on July 1 did I get a response back with a Ticket Number.

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
What does anyone suggest? Is it better to wait a couple weeks yet and then contact them if I do not receive anything by phone, in my email or by regular email?

I guess i am asking this since I originally started this request on June 18, but only till I resent on July 1 did I get a response back with a Ticket Number.

Maybe wait another day or two, then email them again. It could be that it's just bad timing with July 4th holiday falling around the time you sent it on July 1st. People should be back at work by tomorrow, I'd think.

libralady

Reaction score
Maybe wait another day or two, then email them again. It could be that it's just bad timing with July 4th holiday falling around the time you sent it on July 1st. People should be back at work by tomorrow, I'd think.

Yes Marg2 I think you are right. I will wait a few more days to see if anything transpires. Thank you for your response.

Johnsorg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sent my email on June 21 and received immediate reply. Received a contract in mail on July 3. I called today, July 6, but just got an answering machine. My contact is for a deeded timeshare at Powhatan Plantation. I had converted this unit to the points system years ago and was a member of the club. I also have 8000 more points I purchased separately from Diamond through 3 separate contracts. Message today on answering machine said each contract under surrender program must pay $250 for each contract. Has anyone surrendered just points under this program? I would like to get rid of all my points, not just the deed property at Powhatan.

NatPatBen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sent my email on June 21 and received immediate reply. Received a contract in mail on July 3. I called today, July 6, but just got an answering machine. My contact is for a deeded timeshare at Powhatan Plantation. I had converted this unit to the points system years ago and was a member of the club. I also have 8000 more points I purchased separately from Diamond through 3 separate contracts. Message today on answering machine said each contract under surrender program must pay $250 for each contract. Has anyone surrendered just points under this program? I would like to get rid of all my points, not just the deed property at Powhatan.

I only had points and they accepted my surrender.

WarHorse47

Reaction score
I want to thank TUG and all those who posted in this forum for their comments and directions.

With our home in Washington State we had no clue as to how we were going to sell or transfer ownership with timeshare property in Arizona. After our last trip I started asking relatives for assistance, trying to find any attorney or advocate that could assist us. This forum not only gave me what I needed, but also saved us from spending more money or time needlessly.

We made our request the middle of May and as of this morning the DRI website reported "We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied" Time to celebrate. :banana::banana:

Thanks again everyone.

Tom

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update:

June 8: Sent my email request in to Lossmitigation email address, received autoreply.
June 9: Received call saying my request for voluntary surrender has been approved and that I'll be receiving documents in the mail in about 1.5 weeks. Managers need to go over everything first.
June 17: received letter from Diamond, giving me until July 15th to return the signed Warranty Deed, notarized (and for Canadians, also authenticated). There was no indication in the letter I received how much I needed to send for the processing fee, but it did say return with fees, so I called to find out how much they wanted sent (they said $250) and I also asked for an extension because I was going on holidays immediately. They extended my deadline to July 31st. No problem.
July 7: sent notarized and authenticated form to DRI with $250 check. Will wait a few days and check my xPressPost tracking to see if they received my envelope. ... getting closer